Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM

37,845 posts, read 41,204,811 times

Advertisements

Here it is:

2012 Primary Debate Schedule « 2012 Election Central

The number of them?
How about the sponsors/moderators?
Are the questions so different?

They are going to do possibly 4 in the month of January?
Shouldn't they be out pressing the flesh that month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,672,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Here it is:

The number of them?

Couldn't care less.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Quote:
Here it is:

The number of them?

The entire debate schedule is getting rediculous. It is going to boil down to no one watching after awhile.

Nita

Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The entire debate schedule is getting rediculous. It is going to boil down to no one watching after awhile.

Nita
I doubt many are watching them now. For most "conservatives" if does not matter who get the nomination, they will vote for them even if they disagree with their thinking, it is called Partisan Politics. The same can be said of the Dems. The problem for the GOP is WHO they pick, pick a neocon and they lose the Inde voters and that will be that. So you would think the GOP would be wise in their selection, if history is our guide that will Not be the case, so instead of a Paul you will get a RINO in Romney.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:17 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,209,574 times
I like the debates. It actually allows voters to see the candidates having to think and react somewhat spontaneously. You get to know them at least a little better. I don't always appreciate the debate sponsors or their after remarks, but that goes with the territory and it gets them ready for the general election. If you can't take the heat among your own party, you will never make it in the general when the media will almost all be stacked against you.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:44 PM

37,845 posts, read 41,204,811 times
There are way too many of them, in my opinion and I don't understand why they do debates with hostile sponsors who ask the Democrat type questions. The debates are worthless in bringing to light their experience (examples of what they've actually done) as opposed to their "vision."

I have been waiting for a lot of debate questions that never seem to come. This is the Republican primary. They should be getting Republican type questions. Instead, many of the moderators are asking questions that should be posed to Democrats in a Democrat primary.

We're trying to choose a Republican candidate. It seems to me, some of the moderators are trying to pick questions that Democrat voters want to hear the answers to. Example: Why hasn't Jon Huntsman been asked about why he said to President Obama that he thought he was a remarkable leader? What exactly does he think is remarkable about him? Why hasn't Rick Perry been asked about the business and ideas sharing Texas does with Israel or why tort reform has resulted in more doctors moving to the state of Texas? Let's hear them all on drilling for oil domestically, the price of gasoline and the jobs that go along with that industry? Name a specific Obama regulation that needs to go? To the Congressmen who have never run anything big, what makes them think the White House is an entry level positions for executives? (See, they don't get this question because everyone knows Obama had none and now look at the mess we're in. The moderators won't call attention to it.) What makes them think they are capable of implementing their ideas? Tell us the biggest action you've (all of them) taken in your careers that shows you are capable of running a country? Have any of you spoken to the Chamber of Commerce about small business beefs and/or things small business would like to see a president take on?

Let the job creators talk about HOW they created jobs. How did they woo employers to do business in their states/with their companies? Do they see themselves doing that wooing in other countries? Exactly how do they plan to make government smaller if they plan to do so? What do they think the federal government should subsidize? Name one big thing where they think the federal government is intrusive in our lives (if they think that).

Give us an example of a bill you vetoed in your state and tell us why you did. How many bills have you vetoed related to spending?

To all of them, do you consider yourself to be a Republican establishment candidate and if so, why do you think the Republican establishment was wooing other candidates when you had already declared your candidacy?

What will you do to put a stop to visa overstays?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,095,805 times
Thoughtful post Laura.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:47 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I doubt many are watching them now. For most "conservatives" if does not matter who get the nomination, they will vote for them even if they disagree with their thinking, it is called Partisan Politics. The same can be said of the Dems. The problem for the GOP is WHO they pick, pick a neocon and they lose the Inde voters and that will be that. So you would think the GOP would be wise in their selection, if history is our guide that will Not be the case, so instead of a Paul you will get a RINO in Romney.
Oh, I think those who really care are watching and many trying to make up thier minds or paying attention so they can discuss and support their candidate. If we don't know what he/she said in a debate it is pretty hard to comment or discuss anything in a 1/2 way intelligent way. That being said, unless some start dropping out and I would bet they will in the next month or so, it is the same ole, same ole.

Nita

Old 10-07-2011, 03:02 PM

498 posts, read 1,461,531 times
Yeah, I think there are too many. One to two a month would be ideal. Four in January is ridiculous. There's not going to be much to say by then, as they're already starting to sound like broken records. I also wish they'd stop going to the same states. It's possible that they'll be performing to the same audiences multiple times.

I haven't been impressed with the debate formats so far. The candidates are just gunning for applause in these debates, and the audiences are too riled up. It reminds me of the State of the Union Address. I wish they would do a few without audiences. I checked ticket prices for Nevada in two weeks and it's $130 for a student (the cheapest option)! How do they expect to attract average Republicans to these types of things?

It would also be nice to have some without the minor candidates so they won't be rushing through every question.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:29 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,209,574 times
Quote:
There are way too many of them, in my opinion and I don't understand why they do debates with hostile sponsors who ask the Democrat type questions. The debates are worthless in bringing to light their experience (examples of what they've actually done) as opposed to their "vision."

I have been waiting for a lot of debate questions that never seem to come. This is the Republican primary. They should be getting Republican type questions. Instead, many of the moderators are asking questions that should be posed to Democrats in a Democrat primary.

We're trying to choose a Republican candidate. It seems to me, some of the moderators are trying to pick questions that Democrat voters want to hear the answers to. Example: Why hasn't Jon Huntsman been asked about why he said to President Obama that he thought he was a remarkable leader? What exactly does he think is remarkable about him? Why hasn't Rick Perry been asked about the business and ideas sharing Texas does with Israel or why tort reform has resulted in more doctors moving to the state of Texas? Let's hear them all on drilling for oil domestically, the price of gasoline and the jobs that go along with that industry? Name a specific Obama regulation that needs to go? To the Congressmen who have never run anything big, what makes them think the White House is an entry level positions for executives? (See, they don't get this question because everyone knows Obama had none and now look at the mess we're in. The moderators won't call attention to it.) What makes them think they are capable of implementing their ideas? Tell us the biggest action you've (all of them) taken in your careers that shows you are capable of running a country? Have any of you spoken to the Chamber of Commerce about small business beefs and/or things small business would like to see a president take on?

Let the job creators talk about HOW they created jobs. How did they woo employers to do business in their states/with their companies? Do they see themselves doing that wooing in other countries? Exactly how do they plan to make government smaller if they plan to do so? What do they think the federal government should subsidize? Name one big thing where they think the federal government is intrusive in our lives (if they think that).

Give us an example of a bill you vetoed in your state and tell us why you did. How many bills have you vetoed related to spending?

To all of them, do you consider yourself to be a Republican establishment candidate and if so, why do you think the Republican establishment was wooing other candidates when you had already declared your candidacy?

What will you do to put a stop to visa overstays?

In some of the debates, you could submit your questions beforehand and they choose so many to ask. You should submit some of these next time. Maybe yours will be chosen. I don't like a lot of the questions either. Many of them seem to be designed just to get the candidates to bludgeon each other on stage. I would like to see something with more substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections