Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Good post....are you able to link me to some of the issues that Romney/Huntsman are out to change...

what really erks me is, during the debates, instead of talking about nitty gritty issues, they bash one another...continually...

What needs to happen to drive prices down, is for the government to stop regulating energy companies and allow more to develop and create...the way it's doing, PP&L and the other companies can continue to rape us...
I don't begrudge any person working hard to become better then financially comfortable in life...but in times like these, when we're dealing with 6 - 7 day power outages, b/c PP&L refuses to trim trees around they're lines any more...I mean, where's the lodgic? Don't rape us so you can pay your CEO 18 million dollars, yanno? And that's small potatos compared to what some make. I know you can't regulate how much these men make, but, this is absolutely absurd...and lets discuss the gas companies...geeze louise...how much do you really need?
Regulation is a double-edged sword. While knee-jerk regulation can harm consumers and growth, lack of enforcement can harm both as well. Witness the sloppy regulation in the GOM oil spill. The cost of complying with sound regulations was miniscule compared to the cost of the disaster that occurred.

Lack of regulation and/or enforcement, and possible corruption, helped create a Bernie Madoff, and definitely assisted in creating our current economic woes. We are all victims of crony capitalism, politicians that seem to be focused on those wealthy people that seek favoritism and paybacks. Obviously, some of our current candidates have some of these issues as well, not to mention a sitting President.

There's only one way that prices stay up or down long term. Demand/supply. If something gets too expensive relative to value, consumers find alternatives or choose to spend less on other things. Given the prices of other consumer items, I don't view oil and gasoline as too pricey right now. Consumers tend to focus on gas prices, even as they see huge cable TV and cell phone bills.

Utility companies cut back on some services due to cost restraints. But like big oil, their top executive salaries seem outrageous in proportion to their relative worth. One would think market forces would allow for lower salaries over the long term, especially in light of the economic downturn. Apparently nobody applies for those jobs asking for less?

You'll not find much support for your issues amongst the current crop of candidates. Some of them are Democrat talking points and issues, a couple are not. It's certainly not the government's role to determine what anyone makes. But with regulated utility companies, they generally only respond when directly confronted on issues of service, or lack thereof. I would think that PP&L has to respond to consumer complaints such as yours, I'm not familiar with the issue there.

Party Platforms make for conforming candidates. There are many solutions that come from a variety of people in both parties. The most successful leaders choose the right solutions, not the right party. The worst of them continually repeat the same mistakes, because they rule by ideology, not brainpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow. So now we have another "anonymous woman" from 15 years ago AND a Perry staffer coming forward?

That's some major credibility.

What's next? Barbara Streisand saying Cain once touched her inappropriately?

I agree that Cain has no chance in heck, I just find the wave of garbage hillariously political after the various scandals involving Clinton as well as other republicans and democrats.
But just out: none of the accusers are going to go public...isn't that interesting?

NIta

Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packeryman View Post
Wrong, Romney is the only Republican that can draw we Independents. We will not vote a Republican ticket with a bible thumper or a tea bagger or one supported by the same. The far right wing of the party can't deal with a moderate just as they didn't in 1964 with Goldwater. The GOP will go down to the same defeat as Goldwater because when it comes time to vote the Independents intelligence level won't let the vote for bible thumping religious fanatics or tea bagging lunatics, they will not vote for flat the flat earth mentality. The American public is fed up with the debacle going on in the house created by the tea baggers(the my way or the highway, no compromise crowd). We will help the Dem's sweep them out in 2012 along with any radical right wing nut the GOP is crazy enough to run. Cain and Perry are both toast, Cain is still getting money from the far right because they don't care what he has done, no character, they are desperate to get anybody except Romney and will do anything whether right or wrong. That is what makes them far out radicals.
speak for yourself, but not all independents. That is liking saying, only Perry can get the right wing vote cause I might support him. Anyone who can make the statement that only 1 person can get the independent vote probably isn't likely to vote Republican period.

NIta

Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
The only pattern I see is "journos" who can't produce evidence.
It is like jumping on the bandwagon: Oh it happened to me as well. He told me I looked great in that outfit: boy was thay suggestive???!!! I don't know what he did or didn't do, none of us know and we don't know how this leaked or who leaked it.

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Paula Jones, Kathleen Willey, Juanita Brodderick, Monica Lewinsky did not hurt Bill Clinton.
He was already Pres at the time. You forgot Jennifer FLowers though.

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Agreed, I'm pretty sure it was Perry's camp.
Pery himself or his camp? I am not convinced it is either and I am shocked so many of you are so quick to judge...The libs are quick to decide Cain isn't fit to be Pres and the rest are quick to blame Perry..What about the guy who would pay $10,000 or whatever, the Paul supporter, for anyone that could shed light on Perry's sexual orientation? Was that Pauls camp, just a nut case or a set up by some other camp?

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
This morning I heard on tv that the Cain camp is now also blaming the Romney camp...next Newt's camp...

Btw Obama's old mate, Rahman Emanuel is also accused of being the one leaking it....

Cain is digging his own hole!....where smoke is, usually is fire...

12years ago Cain was not that famous to go after for money...which makes me to believe there is more to the story.

Cain's decision to have the smoking spokesman in his advertising is also something I don't appreciate. How many years are we trying to get young people to understand that it is a bad habit and her comes Cain stating and showing that it is okay, what a sign that is for the future, will marijuana be next and drink a lot too is ok?
I was about to post the same thing: maybe it was Newt? None of us have any idea.

As for the smoking spokesman, that is being played out way too much. Drop it!!!

As for 12 years ago and how famous he was, this has little to do with him and more to do with the National Restaurant assoc. So, in ensense, I agree with part of what you are saying but not all of it.

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's exactly right--McGovern pushed moderate D's and independents in droves over to the R side because they were seen as more rational and reasonable. The same thing is about to start happening now if the hard right wingers don't start to tone it down and LISTEN to what the American people are actually saying vs. going off on some crazy idealogy. Tone deaf doesn't work in politics.
We are not talking about what happened 40 plus years ago. The country has totally changed.

Nita

Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are not talking about what happened 40 plus years ago. The country has totally changed.

Nita
Running from radicals isn't a concept that changes over time. When McGovern ran the country was definitely center/left, but he took it way too far. Now we're in the position of having a center/right country, with the tea party doing the same thing--taking things way too far.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Bill Clinton had out of marriage sex in the Oval Office with a woman in a blue dress and then lied about it under oath.

Women in the blue dress, and playing footsies and more under the desk, remember those words well! I did not have sex with that women.
You still did not care, when the facts came out, because he was Bill Clinton!

I believe that was a much worse situtation, he was our President, and did have a reputation to uphold, and no not someone holding his?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections