Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,629 times

Advertisements

I notice a number of his repub opponents have trotted their wives out on the campaign trail with them...Rick Perrys wife Anita has been in the media lately saying they are being "hated" for their Christian values...whatever

I see Mitt Romneys wife has been introducing him to crowds in New Hampshire, Iowa and has been visiting down south for votes.

Newt Gringrichs wife is his shadow....she is everywhere with him

we've seen John Huntsman wife on the trial with him, but she doesnt say much

we've seen Michelle Bachmans soft spoken spouse Marcus talking about turning barbarian gays into well rounded hetrosexual citizens.

but, Cain has been all over the country at debates, rallies, selling books, public speaking tours, etc, and we have yet to see his wife or hear her speak, or get her views on anything....

is Cain afraid for her to come out in public, is she a "real black woman" equilivant to his "real black man" mantra?

has she been through the "black experience" like he has or even like Michelle Obama and her mother have? or is she just at home under orders from his handlers?

very curious why we havent seen her.....what say you CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,390,749 times
Hermain Cain said the his wife is a private person. She will come out when she is needed and that is not until he wins the nomination at the earliest.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,198 times
Maybe she doesn't enjoy being a public person? She would really help him right now with all the allegations swirling around him, but if you don't like being in the spotlight, working a campaign with your spouse would pretty much be h*ll.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,668 times
Gloria Cain looks like a lovely person. In this article, Cain acknowledges her preference for privacy and states that she has a "heart implant" that limits her activity. Many politicians' wives dislike campaigning, but now would be a crucial time for Mrs. Cain to have a short interview with someone in order to staunch the bleeding caused by the allegations of sexual impropriety made against her husband.

Herman Cain | Candidates' Spouses | Campaign | The Daily Caller

Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Did I miss something, is Mrs. Cain running for POTUS? As long as she chooses to stay non-political she has no obligation to the limelight. The moment she chooses to campaign and take stances on policy for her husband is the moment she should come under scrutiny, not before.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did I miss something, is Mrs. Cain running for POTUS? As long as she chooses to stay non-political she has no obligation to the limelight. The moment she chooses to campaign and take stances on policy for her husband is the moment she should come under scrutiny, not before.
She doesn't have to campaign, but wives and families help. They show a more human side to the candidate, and they can split up responsibilities and be at different places at the same time--the wife can work pretty effectively as a surrogate for the candidate if she's good at it.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
She doesn't have to campaign, but wives and families help. They show a more human side to the candidate, and they can split up responsibilities and be at different places at the same time--the wife can work pretty effectively as a surrogate for the candidate if she's good at it.
This appears to be an approach neither Mrs. Cain nor her husband wish to take at this time. Why should she be placed under such pressure and scrutiny at this early point in the campaign? I haven't seen Mrs. Paul in the limelight either and I wouldn't expect to until the GOP convention/primary.

Why do you have a problem seeing candidates as human without their spouses stumping for them? I find that odd. Frankly, I thought one of Palin's greatest mistakes was placing her spouse and children in the limelight. I find it unseemly for any candidate to do so and didn't like it when Romney did it in 2008 either.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This appears to be an approach neither Mrs. Cain nor her husband wish to take at this time. Why should she be placed under such pressure and scrutiny at this early point in the campaign? I haven't seen Mrs. Paul in the limelight either and I wouldn't expect to until the GOP convention/primary.

Why do you have a problem seeing candidates as human without their spouses stumping for them? I find that odd. Frankly, I thought one of Palin's greatest mistakes was placing her spouse and children in the limelight. I find it unseemly for any candidate to do so and didn't like it when Romney did it in 2008 either.
If the family doesn't want to do it, I don't have a problem with it personally. I'm just saying that it can really help, and in Cain's case right now, she could help to diffuse some of the controversy swirling around him. Kids are a different matter--adult kids can be a real asset if they want to do it (and many do). Young children are an entirely different matter--it's not fair to them to trot them out like little trophies and put them under that type of media scrutiny.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If the family doesn't want to do it, I don't have a problem with it personally. I'm just saying that it can really help, and in Cain's case right now, she could help to diffuse some of the controversy swirling around him. Kids are a different matter--adult kids can be a real asset if they want to do it (and many do). Young children are an entirely different matter--it's not fair to them to trot them out like little trophies and put them under that type of media scrutiny.
I agree; given her health problems and desire to remain in the background, it seems that the Cains have made a wise choice. However, I also agree that Ms. Cain doing a brief, sit-down interview would help Cain immensely in terms of the allegations of sexual harassment. They've been married for 43 years; her insight could prove invaluable to his campaign.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,926,541 times
cain said she is the nucleus. she is the calm and peace when he gets home.

you couldnt have that with wife who is out on the stump with you taking shots at both of you.

i actually wish more people were like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections