Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 PM

37,849 posts, read 41,215,210 times

Advertisements

So, I was listenting to a local talk radio show (The Phil Show) this afternoon in the car and a caller (a Ron Paul supporter) called in and said he didn't think Cain was finished because of the sexual harassment charges but if the story came out about Aquila Corp it would be much more devastating. The show host didn't ask the guy for details and they kept talking about last night's debate. (The radio show question was: Which 2 candidates should be eliminated?) I had never heard of Aquila Corp. In fact, I had to keep trying to research it when I got home because I was spelling it wrong but I found something about it. The story was written in May 2011.

"But scrubbed from Cain’s official story is his long tenure as a director at a Midwest energy corporation named Aquila that, like the infamous Enron Corporation, recklessly drove into the wild west of energy trading and speculation – and ultimately screwed its employees out of tens of millions of dollars,” Mother Jones reports. According to a massive class action lawsuit against Aquila’s board of directors – including Cain – he allegedly steered employees into heavily investing their retirement savings in company stock, while at the same time shifting their business model from straightforward energy generation to risky energy trading – the kind of corporate greed that infamously brought down Enron, Mother Jones reports. In the suit, it claims that Cain and other top officials violated a 37-year-old federal law that requires employers to responsibly manage the retirement programs for their employees. Their pensions and life savings were lost."

Herman Cain | Campaign Scandal | The Atlanta Post

Who knows something about this more than what is in this article? If this is true, why haven't I heard about it until now? If it is true, I'm more likely to think the Republican Machine "leaked" the sexual harassment allegation to make sure Cain never made it to the General Election when the Democrats might leak this story handing the election to Obama.

If you know something/anything about this story, please tell us. If this is the first time you are hearing about it, please weigh in, too so I know it's not just me who is in the dark.

Here's more I just found:

"Cain served on the board of directors throughout Aquila's ill-fated trading misadventure and the subsequent collapse of the company's retirement fund. In fact, he chaired the board's compensation committee, which, according to the lawsuit, had direct oversight of the push to get employees to invest more and more in Aquila stock. As chair of the compensation committee, Cain also saw fit to dole out $30 million in bonuses, not including stock options, to the top five execs at Aquila in 2002, with the company's stock plummeting. A month after the Kansas City Star reported on the hefty bonuses in July 2002, the company laid off 500 employees, and the losses to employees holding company stock had reached hundreds of millions of dollars. As a board member, Cain would've had direct knowledge of Aquila's activities, says Fred Taylor Isquith, a New York attorney who litigated the employee class action."

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...a-lawsuit-2012

Last edited by LauraC; 11-10-2011 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 04:44 PM

753 posts, read 847,665 times
Cain’s ‘Enron’ scandal - Right Turn - The Washington Post

GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain has a host of ties to KC - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/18/3215869/cains-kc-ties-include-federal.html - broken link)

Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Cain’s ‘Enron’ scandal - Right Turn - The Washington Post

GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain has a host of ties to KC - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/18/3215869/cains-kc-ties-include-federal.html - broken link)
So, did you know this before now or did you just find these articles now?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,673,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, I was listenting to a local talk radio show (The Phil Show) this afternoon in the car and a caller (a Ron Paul supporter) called in and said he didn't think Cain was finished because of the sexual harassment charges but if the story came out about Aquila Corp it would be much more devastating. The show host didn't ask the guy for details and they kept talking about last night's debate. (The radio show question was: Which 2 candidates should be eliminated?) I had never heard of Aquila Corp. In fact, I had to keep trying to research it when I got home because I was spelling it wrong but I found something about it. The story was written in May 2011.

"But scrubbed from Cain’s official story is his long tenure as a director at a Midwest energy corporation named Aquila that, like the infamous Enron Corporation, recklessly drove into the wild west of energy trading and speculation – and ultimately screwed its employees out of tens of millions of dollars,” Mother Jones reports. According to a massive class action lawsuit against Aquila’s board of directors – including Cain – he allegedly steered employees into heavily investing their retirement savings in company stock, while at the same time shifting their business model from straightforward energy generation to risky energy trading – the kind of corporate greed that infamously brought down Enron, Mother Jones reports. In the suit, it claims that Cain and other top officials violated a 37-year-old federal law that requires employers to responsibly manage the retirement programs for their employees. Their pensions and life savings were lost."

Herman Cain | Campaign Scandal | The Atlanta Post

Who knows something about this more than what is in this article? If this is true, why haven't I heard about it until now? If it is true, I'm more likely to think the Republican Machine "leaked" the sexual harassment allegation to make sure Cain never made it to the General Election when the Democrats might leak this story handing the election to Obama.

If you know something/anything about this story, please tell us. If this is the first time you are hearing about it, please weigh in, too so I know it's not just me who is in the dark.

Here's more I just found:

"Cain served on the board of directors throughout Aquila's ill-fated trading misadventure and the subsequent collapse of the company's retirement fund. In fact, he chaired the board's compensation committee, which, according to the lawsuit, had direct oversight of the push to get employees to invest more and more in Aquila stock. As chair of the compensation committee, Cain also saw fit to dole out $30 million in bonuses, not including stock options, to the top five execs at Aquila in 2002, with the company's stock plummeting. A month after the Kansas City Star reported on the hefty bonuses in July 2002, the company laid off 500 employees, and the losses to employees holding company stock had reached hundreds of millions of dollars. As a board member, Cain would've had direct knowledge of Aquila's activities, says Fred Taylor Isquith, a New York attorney who litigated the employee class action."

Herman Cain's Enron-esque Disaster | Mother Jones
Because the 'the Love of money is the root of ALL evil' ...and it takes many millions of dollars to become a serious candidate for POTUSA, I'll tell you what is clear to me....in 'profound' understanding.

The American political system has become SO polluted with vile Big money people who recruit their 'buddies' to run....that only corrupt people are becoming candidates.

I really don't include Ron Paul, Michele Bachmann, and perhaps even Romney in the 'corrupt category.' - As for the rest....I am extremely 'Dubious, and suspicious'....of their true character!

BOTTOM LINE; the current highly corrupt political system breeds these crop of corrupt candidates

Last edited by quality guy; 11-10-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Because the 'the Love of money is the root of ALL evil' ...and it takes many millions of dollars to become a serious candidate for POTUSA, I'll tell you what is clear to me....in 'profound' understanding.

The American political system has become SO polluted with vile Big money people who recruit their 'buddies' to run....that only corrupt people are becoming candidates.

I really don't include Ron Paul, Michele Bachmann, and perhaps even Romney in the 'corrupt category.' - As for the rest....I am extremely 'Dubious, and suspicious'....of their true character!

BOTTOM LINE; the current highly corrupt political system breeds these crop of corrupt candidates
All I want to know is whether it's true and if it is, why I haven't heard about it. The man is running as a businessman. I've said before, he should get more questions about his job history from the media besides the names of the places where he worked. If the governors are questioned and criticized about their executive decisions and how they ran a state, then the businessman should be questioned about his business decisions and how he ran companies. Also, we know governors leave jobs because they are voted out of office, term limits, seek higher office, scandals, etc.. We should know why Herman Cain changed jobs, too. I don't hear anyone in the media talking about these things or asking him these questions.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
All I want to know is whether it's true and if it is, why I haven't heard about it. The man is running as a businessman. I've said before, he should get more questions about his job history from the media besides the names of the places where he worked. If the governors are questioned and criticized about their executive decisions and how they ran a state, then the businessman should be questioned about his business decisions and how he ran companies. Also, we know governors leave jobs because they are voted out of office, term limits, seek higher office, scandals, etc.. We should know why Herman Cain changed jobs, too. I don't hear anyone in the media talking about these things or asking him these questions.

As I read your post above, it sounds like all questions you raise have been screened and someone decides what answers the public will get...and what the public WON'T get. I hate conspiracy thoughts, but it truly looks more and more like these candidates and their campaigns are carefully Controlled....kinda like there is a guy behind the stage (Wizard of Oz) only letting us see what he wants to...and not what he doesn't want. All this in the 'political world' is more suspicious to me, as time rolls by. It's not understandable...I believe, because it's all so CORRUPT!

So much, is so covered up...Doncha think?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
As I read your post above, it sounds like all questions you raise have been screened and someone decides what answers the public will get...and what the public WON'T get. I hate conspiracy thoughts, but it truly looks more and more like these candidates and their campaigns are carefully Controlled....kinda like there is a guy behind the stage (Wizard of Oz) only letting us see what he wants to...and not what he doesn't want. All this in the 'political world' is more suspicious to me, as time rolls by. It's not understandable...I believe, because it's all so CORRUPT!

Actually, in the case of Herman Cain, I think it's that the political media has no idea what questions to ask a non-traditional candidate. We get the media's idea of lousy governor decision questions and we get the media's idea of stupid Congressional votes questions. Why doesn't the businessman get questions about his destructive or incompetent business decisions?

I hate the media more than Newt Gingrich. I'm torn between thinking the have an inordinate amount of power over who we elect and that they are just plain incompetent. It doesn't matter if they are Democrat-sided media or Republican-sided media. I truly believe their decisions, predictions, omissions are biased as to how they elevate their own personal importance as reporters, opinion guys, analysts, especially the so-called analysts who have zero power except for what they derive from who they know.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM

753 posts, read 847,665 times
Quote:
So, did you know this before now or did you just find these articles now?
No, your post made me also want to look more. Very interesting (mainly terrible) stuff. He's toast.

And this reminds of when a 'businessman' ran for Governor in New Hampshire and no one cared that he'd ran his own business in the ground. But they found out quickly the error of their ways and booted him after one term and dismal support. Thank goodness the Governor term in NH is just two years. I wish that was the case in Florida.

Another 'businessman' from the GOP. Rick Scott's company literally stole money from the government. Florida now sees the error of their ways.

I'm thinking/hoping Cain won't ge that far.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:07 AM

458 posts, read 780,317 times
Quote:

You are probably right on all this. The whole primary process seems suspect. Its not for the people to select who they want, since after the first few states the selection process is almost complete. Its easy for the ones in control to pick off who they don't want before we have a chance to decide.

When you get to the general election, unless you live in one of the swing states, you vote really does not matter since all the votes go the winning candidate for that state. No wonder so many don't vote and don't care.

Regarding Cain, his baggage is taking a while to catch up to him. He was not considered a serious contender until recently and now they will keep hitting him with more things to damage his image until he goes away.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
You are probably right on all this. The whole primary process seems suspect. Its not for the people to select who they want, since after the first few states the selection process is almost complete. Its easy for the ones in control to pick off who they don't want before we have a chance to decide.

When you get to the general election, unless you live in one of the swing states, you vote really does not matter since all the votes go the winning candidate for that state. No wonder so many don't vote and don't care.

Regarding Cain, his baggage is taking a while to catch up to him. He was not considered a serious contender until recently and now they will keep hitting him with more things to damage his image until he goes away.

So, in conclusion, there is a process of elimination, and the "ones in control to pick off who they don't want before we have a chance to decide." Still tho, the 'guy behind the stage aspect' ....seemingly pulling all the strings, is the puzzling part of this, to me. CBS, NBC, ABC even FOX, are all exactly on the same page daily....in regard to 'brainwashing' us as to which candidate is 'hot,' etc. It's like they're ALL one big network...completely in harmony! - Explain that to me?

And I certainly 'get this' >>No wonder so many don't vote<<
but many still care VERY MUCH. Just feel the system makes it all so futile!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections