Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not a snowballs chance in HELL of that happening at this time; maybe 10 or 20 years from now. Could you tell us what poll this was? I am guessing yu can not. NV isn't likely to be blue either. NM, that is a question and Co, who knows?

Nita
Read it and weep:

Poll: Romney & Cain on top in Arizona – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Here's a quote from the story:

The survey indicates that Obama holds a 45-40% margin over Romney in a hypothetical general election showdown, with Obama holding 44-38% advantage over Perry and a 45-38% advantage over Cain. All of Obama's margins are within the poll's sampling error.

AZ is far more moderate than most believe and the Latino influence is clearly evident. Whether they vote or not remains to be seen, but this state could be in play in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 11:54 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,578,185 times
Here's my anecdotal perspective, but before that, here's my qualifications.

-My job is helping school districts incorporate special education into bilingual classrooms

-My inlaws are all Mexican-American

-I know many Hispanics in Florida as I have family that has married Hispanic

From what I have observed, Hispanics are extremely offended by the actions of the Republican party as of late. Many Hispanics, whether they be conservative or liberal find these new immigration laws that have been written in AZ and the other states as an assault to their ethnic group. They are extremely offended that a bunch of white people wrote these laws without the input of the Hispanic community.

I don't believe many conservative Hispanics will flip to Obama, however they will stay home as a form of protest. Therefore, your turnout for Hispanics Republicans is going to be unbelievably low and will most definitely affect the election.

It is quite apparent that the Republican party really has no idea that they have done so much damage.

I'm not suprised at all polls show a close race in Arizona.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Here's my anecdotal perspective, but before that, here's my qualifications.

-My job is helping school districts incorporate special education into bilingual classrooms

-My inlaws are all Mexican-American

-I know many Hispanics in Florida as I have family that has married Hispanic

From what I have observed, Hispanics are extremely offended by the actions of the Republican party as of late. Many Hispanics, whether they be conservative or liberal find these new immigration laws that have been written in AZ and the other states as an assault to their ethnic group. They are extremely offended that a bunch of white people wrote these laws without the input of the Hispanic community.

I don't believe many conservative Hispanics will flip to Obama, however they will stay home as a form of protest. Therefore, your turnout for Hispanics Republicans is going to be unbelievably low and will most definitely affect the election.

It is quite apparent that the Republican party really has no idea that they have done so much damage.

I'm not suprised at all polls show a close race in Arizona.
When the legal US Hispanic community stops overwhelmingly supporting illegal immigration "a bunch of white people" will look to them for input. If anyone in the Hispanic community feels that the recent laws are an assault on their ethnic group they're either really ignorant or their ethnic group is illegal aliens.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
When the legal US Hispanic community stops overwhelmingly supporting illegal immigration "a bunch of white people" will look to them for input. If anyone in the Hispanic community feels that the recent laws are an assault on their ethnic group they're either really ignorant or their ethnic group is illegal aliens.
My wife, a Mexican-American conservative who happens to have a master's in Chemical Engineering might disagree with you a bit. So would many other educated Mexican-Americans and Hispanics.

And this general Republican attitude makes it even worse. Republicans don't want to get together with the Hispanic community to come up with a solution. They'd rather pass laws that give the police too much power.

Backspace, when will you and your side wake up? Or do you figure the loss of the Hispanic vote is worth it?

One thing G W Bush knew how to do was work with Hispanics in Texas. Today, Republicans call this, "Hispandering".

The only ignorance I see lately is the Republican party's inability to understand the situation at hand.

I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised given the present state of the Republican party.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
My wife, a Mexican-American conservative who happens to have a master's in Chemical Engineering might disagree with you a bit. So would many other educated Mexican-Americans and Hispanics.

And this general Republican attitude makes it even worse. Republicans don't want to get together with the Hispanic community to come up with a solution. They'd rather pass laws that give the police too much power.

Backspace, when will you and your side wake up? Or do you figure the loss of the Hispanic vote is worth it?

One thing G W Bush knew how to do was work with Hispanics in Texas. Today, Republicans call this, "Hispandering".

The only ignorance I see lately is the Republican party's inability to understand the situation at hand.

I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised given the present state of the Republican party.
I don't really care what your wife thinks, if she supports illegal immigration into the United States then all the education in the world can't make up for that kind of ignorance.

I have no problem coming together with the Hispanic community, I live in South Texas, I don't really have a choice around here. As long as the Hispanic community considers illegal immigrants to be part of the Hispanic community I don't foresee people like myself ever supporting us "working together" since my side is doing most of the working and the Hispanic community just wants free money for illegals.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I don't really care what your wife thinks, if she supports illegal immigration into the United States then all the education in the world can't make up for that kind of ignorance.

I have no problem coming together with the Hispanic community, I live in South Texas, I don't really have a choice around here. As long as the Hispanic community considers illegal immigrants to be part of the Hispanic community I don't foresee people like myself ever supporting us "working together" since my side is doing most of the working and the Hispanic community just wants free money for illegals.
I never said my wife supports illegal immigration. What I did say is my wife does not support what the Republican party is doing.

If you can't figure out why Hispanics don't support this AND you live in South Texas, I really don't know what to tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections