Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:04 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times

Advertisements

Several factors:

1) He says the right stuff to the right people. Newt invented modern Republican rhetoric. All the phrases and terminology used by conservative media on down to tea party members is almost entirely Newt's creation from the 90s, updated for today.

2) The one on one debate he had with Herman Cain legitimized his candidacy right at the peak of Cain's 15 minutes. Even though hardly anyone saw it, it got his name in the press for something not embarrassing for the first time in months.

3) He was next in line to fill the not-Romney void. Huntsman's Romney 2.0, the UN/Bilderberg/Illuminati/lizard people cabal limits Ron Paul to 20% in any poll, Santorum is Santorum, and you can't name the other candidates without looking them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:05 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
Nita
I had Romney, Cain, Gingrich, Perry, Bachman, and Trump.

Trump is an unfair option so we can toss him out-----so that leaves five, and not six.

Do you think Newt is really going to last-----I dont see it---but Ive been wrong before---who knows??

Its still possible that another candidate is lurking and can still appear-----maybe Christie reevaluates, or as a longshot, maybe Congressman Ryan. This process is still way too fluid---I dont believe anybody has staked even a minimal claim yet.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Nita
I had Romney, Cain, Gingrich, Perry, Bachman, and Trump.

Trump is an unfair option so we can toss him out-----so that leaves five, and not six.

Do you think Newt is really going to last-----I dont see it---but Ive been wrong before---who knows??

Its still possible that another candidate is lurking and can still appear-----maybe Christie reevaluates, or as a longshot, maybe Congressman Ryan. This process is still way too fluid---I dont believe anybody has staked even a minimal claim yet.
Hubby still says someone will jump in. I checked yesterday, about 6 primaries have already closed or will in the next 10 days, that isn't going to help a late bloomer, especially when 2 of those states are Fl and Va, both key states. Hubby says, Christie, Ryan or even maybe Huckabee, but Huck has said he isn't sorry he made the decision not to run.

Do I think Newt will last? I don't know, 1/2 of me says yes and the other 1//2 says no. He still isn't my number one pick, but I do like many things about him, and I am not judging any candidate based on their past personal life or whether they seem like nice guys. We elected Carter and Bush cause they were nice guys. The only really decent Pres in the past 50 years elected partly because he was a nice guy was Reagan.

As for the 5 or 6, I really can't count Bachmann as ever really being a front runner, it was just a few polls and very, very, short lived. She is a good debater and got attention when she won Iowa, that was about it.

Nita

Old 12-03-2011, 11:23 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Newt is Rupert Murdoch's pick. That works for him and his interests. Fox News heavily influences who gets the nomination and this time will probably be the dedicing factor.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Newt is Rupert Murdoch's pick. That works for him and his interests. Fox News heavily influences who gets the nomination and this time will probably be the dedicing factor.
Can you show supporting links to your accusation from a credible source?

Old 12-03-2011, 04:35 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
The only explanation I have is that you'll never go broke betting against the far right actually using common sense.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I will not vote for open borders Newt. On that issue, Obama might actually be a little better.

The reason Gingrich is the media darling now is that the globalist masters want him to be. He's all about cheap labor, globalization, open borders and unlimited cheap labor illegal immigration. Just more of the same that's brought this country down.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:53 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
The social conservatives don't like Romney because he's mormon. Newt is the only other viable candidate. Easy explanation.

Were Romney evangelical, he'd have the nomination already.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:21 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The social conservatives don't like Romney because he's mormon. Newt is the only other viable candidate. Easy explanation.

Ironically, the Mormon is the one with only one wife.

Newt's worst pecadillo was the three-way he had with Freddie and Fannie. Getting into bed with those two is really unforgiveable, and rules out his claim to be conservative, or prudent, or wise, or fit to be the candidate.

But who is left? And does it matter? Whenever the legislature and presidency are in the unified hands of either party, we the people get nailed. Obama would be a lot better president with a solidly Republican House and Senate. They'd all be too busy fighting to steal our money and our liberties from us.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post

I hate to admit that people are that stupid and I used to deny it was much of a factor, but I am beginning to think it must be. They funny thing about the hypocrisy of it is, Mitt Romney actually lives the life of a good Christian person and holds to the morality the people supporting first Herman Cain and now Newt say they are looking for. Yet, they support two men who have a history of not living that moral standard at all...makes no sense, but bigotry and prejudice never does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections