Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,393,494 times

Advertisements

This has been bugging me for a while now.

I understand Paul's historical connection to the GOP. And, I understand that libertarians are generally more at home in the Republican party.

But, what has become clear over the course of the debates is that Paul is the odd man out on the stage. He is not a Republican.

Paul is very consistant on the idea of shrinking government. The others at least give that idea lip service, but I think only Paul (and to some extent, Perry) would actually try to do that if elected.

But the main differences are Paul's truely libertarian positions: de-legislating nanny laws, decriminalizing drugs, abolition of the death penalty, and especially, military and diplomatic isolationism.

These positions are NO WHERE NEAR the Republican positions on those topics.

So I understand WHY Paul is a Republican, but why is he running for president as a Republican? It's not like he's getting any support from the RNC. There IS an American Libertarian Party, isn't there? Why isn't Paul heading that ticket?

The strength of his showing in the polls would indicate to me that, if Paul got out from under the onus of being the "oddball" Republican, and ran as a pure libertarian, he would attract more voters: virtually ALL who consider themselves libertarians, plus many of those "new Independents" who fled BOTH parties in disgust the past 10 years.

Is this his plan, do you think? Hitch a ride on the GOP's back, take advantage of the national exposure from the debates, THEN jump ship, and run as a big-L Libertarian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,812 times
Becuse he is a REAL Republican and a REAL conservative. He is what the Republican party used to be. Please disregard to the typicle bunch of Republicans today, they are attrocious. HE is true to what the party stood for.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,842,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

I understand Paul's historical connection to the GOP. And, I understand that libertarians are generally more at home in the Republican party.

But, what has become clear over the course of the debates is that Paul is the odd man out on the stage. He is not a Republican.

Paul is very consistant on the idea of shrinking government. The others at least give that idea lip service, but I think only Paul (and to some extent, Perry) would actually try to do that if elected.

But the main differences are Paul's truely libertarian positions: de-legislating nanny laws, decriminalizing drugs, abolition of the death penalty, and especially, military and diplomatic isolationism.

So I understand WHY Paul is a Republican, but why is he running for president as a Republican? It's not like he's getting any support from the RNC. There IS an American Libertarian Party, isn't there? Why isn't Paul heading that ticket?

The strength of his showing in the polls would indicate to me that, if Paul got out from under the onus of being the "oddball" Republican, and ran as a pure libertarian, he would attract more voters: virtually ALL who consider themselves libertarians, plus many of those "new Independents" who fled BOTH parties in disgust the past 10 years.

Is this his plan, do you think? Hitch a ride on the GOP's back, take advantage of the national exposure from the debates, THEN jump ship, and run as a big-L Libertarian?
Uhhuhh run as a Libertine and hand the election to Barry on a silver platter.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:21 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,684,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

I suggest you learn about the real CORE of the Republican party...

Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Uhhuhh run as a Libertine and hand the election to Barry on a silver platter.

Not just that but the chosen gop candidate also gets RNC money.
no money, no white house.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Becuse he is a REAL Republican and a REAL conservative. He is what the Republican party used to be. Please disregard to the typicle bunch of Republicans today, they are attrocious. HE is true to what the party stood for.
geeze, first there are those of you who claim he is a real conservative and then there are those who say, their liberal family members and friends are supporting him, seems to me, some people don't know what he really is..

Nita

Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,955,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
geeze, first there are those of you who claim he is a real conservative and then there are those who say, their liberal family members and friends are supporting him, seems to me, some people don't know what he really is..

Nita
Actually, the only people that "don't know what Ron Paul is" are the simpletons still being manipulated by the Two-Party system.
Ron Paul is above the divide and distract mantra. His is a message that brings all Americans together, regardless of Political Party, age or ethnicity.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,373,939 times
Because Paul knows if he runs third party it splits the vote and gives the election to Obama. He has also stated if he does not get the nomination he will not run third party for this very reason. That's the darndest thing, a politician doing what's best for the country instead of for selfish personal gain.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I suggest you learn about the real CORE of the Republican party...
So, you are saying Paul is the only REAL Republican on the stage? The other candidates and their supporters, and the national party, just don't realize it? I don't think so.

Republicans and libertarians are congruent, but not identical. I would say Libertarians are a smaller, included subset within the Republican circle, with a sizable portion lying outside it. Would you agree?

Are you saying it should be the goal of Paul and his supporters to squeeze the whole of the GOP into the smaller libertarian circle?

As The Dude would say, that sounds exhausting!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Because Paul knows if he runs third party it splits the vote and gives the election to Obama. He has also stated if he does not get the nomination he will not run third party for this very reason. That's the darndest thing, a politician doing what's best for the country instead of for selfish personal gain.
So, his plan is to win the GOP nomination? Even though his policies vary substantially from those of the party?

That doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections