U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 PM
 
Location: NC
1,250 posts, read 2,390,249 times
Reputation: 586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Democratic candidate speaks to machinists union in Florida

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards told a labor group Tuesday that he would ask Americans to make a big sacrifice: their sport utility vehicles.

“I think Americans are actually willing to sacrifice,” Edwards said during a forum held by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. “One of the things they should be asked to do is drive more fuel efficient vehicles.”

Edwards: Let's give up SUVs - John Edwards News - MSNBC.com
I ll give up my Durango when Johnny stops flying his barber to NC from CA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 AM
 
Location: Santa Monica
4,708 posts, read 7,933,329 times
Reputation: 1046
I like to refer to SUVs as ROVs (rollover vehicles). Using an SUV for commuting means that you're not just a gas guzzler, you're greatly increasing your chances of dying in an accident. Rollovers figure in only 3 percent of accidents, but they account for more than 30 percent of automobile fatalities.

frontline: rollover | PBS

Las Vegas Now - Breaking News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Streaming Video, Classifieds, Blogs - Rollover Ratings Released on 2007 Vehicles

//
The ratings give consumers information on the likelihood of a rollover, which kill more than 10,000 motorists in the United States every year, more than a third of motorists killed in the country annually, despite accounting for only 3 percent of all crashes.
//

Rollover ratings list
(SUVs are listed at the top. Watch out for those identified with greater than 20% chance of rollover, such as the Nissan Xterra!)
Model Year 2006 Rollover Ratings (broken link)

Last edited by ParkTwain; 08-30-2007 at 02:22 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 02:15 AM
 
12,643 posts, read 18,868,872 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I like to refer to SUVs as ROVs (rollover vehicles). Using an SUV for commuting means that you're not just a gas guzzler, you're greatly increasing your chances of dying in an accident. New figures released this week show that though SUVs are in only 3 percent of accidents, they account for more than 30 percent of automobile fatalities (due to rollovers).

frontline: rollover | PBS
Hey thank you.....
I won't be getting my kid one of these for a car now thanks so much................
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 AM
 
12,643 posts, read 18,868,872 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I like to refer to SUVs as ROVs (rollover vehicles). Using an SUV for commuting means that you're not just a gas guzzler, you're greatly increasing your chances of dying in an accident. New figures released this week show that though SUVs are in only 3 percent of accidents, they account for more than 30 percent of automobile fatalities (due to rollovers).

frontline: rollover | PBS
Well now the gas guzzler theory is not always true because there are suv's that are v6.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,806 posts, read 27,144,839 times
Reputation: 4003
and there are turbocharged DISI I-4's that are classified as ULEV's and have traction control, tire pressure monitoring, rollover avoidance, stability control, and 6 airbags that basically cover everyone inside..
and it'll smoke nearly every car on the road... Mazda CX-7 is what I have
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
23,263 posts, read 29,124,771 times
Reputation: 6994
Okay, I'll promise Edwards not to buy a SUV... I'll just keep my two Cadillacs and Lincoln Town Car instead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
 
3,297 posts, read 5,804,848 times
Reputation: 806
Default John Edwards should open up his 28,000 square foot house to the poor in his county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Democratic candidate speaks to machinists union in Florida

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards told a labor group Tuesday that he would ask Americans to make a big sacrifice: their sport utility vehicles.

“I think Americans are actually willing to sacrifice,” Edwards said during a forum held by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. “One of the things they should be asked to do is drive more fuel efficient vehicles.”

Edwards: Let's give up SUVs - John Edwards News - MSNBC.com
John Edwards should open up his 28,000 square foot house to the poor in his county.
President For The Poor - John Edwards The 28,200-square-foot home also Orange County's most valuable I wonder how he heats and powers this monster of a home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,106 posts, read 36,366,567 times
Reputation: 4923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Okay, I'll promise Edwards not to buy a SUV... I'll just keep my two Cadillacs and Lincoln Town Car instead.
There you go -

BTW, I'm going to keep my SUV's -
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,478 posts, read 53,950,809 times
Reputation: 24717
I suggest a simple federal road use tax based on vehicle weight. I suggest $1 per pound over 3,000 lbs per year. It should also apply to trucks.

Then we would have enough money to keep our roads in safe condition. Maybe even enough to rebuild ans expand our passenger rail system.

While I'm on this rant let's add private business jets to the tax base. They should pay a steep tax based on flight hours for using the air traffic control system and the federally subsidized airports.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Status: "Stand up straight and smile" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Near Manito
20,118 posts, read 22,065,658 times
Reputation: 15187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest a simple federal road use tax based on vehicle weight. I suggest $1 per pound over 3,000 lbs per year. It should also apply to trucks.

Then we would have enough money to keep our roads in safe condition. Maybe even enough to rebuild ans expand our passenger rail system.

While I'm on this rant let's add private business jets to the tax base. They should pay a steep tax based on flight hours for using the air traffic control system and the federally subsidized airports.
I'm with Greg.

p.s. I drive a Scion xB.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top