U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:25 PM

500 posts, read 983,797 times

Advertisements

Why are so many of you folks AGAINST better gas mileage?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 AM

11,451 posts, read 17,812,389 times
Funny how these idiots try to tell us what we should do when they should be asking us what we want them to do.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:23 AM
NCN

21,139 posts, read 22,924,768 times
Why did anyone ever buy a SUV in the first place. They're ugly!

Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,382,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Why did anyone ever buy a SUV in the first place. They're ugly!
Try living in Texas, where almost every car is a SUV(mostly midsize, not even compact SUV), minivan, or huge pickup. If you drive a small car here, you won't have any views, so in order to have a better view, you have to have one of those. Plus I have see accidents where the small car gets smashed by SUV, so in a place where its all SUVs, I feel I need to get one so I won't get crushed that bad if crap happens.

Plus its easy to get in and out of.

What I want to know is why there are so many pickup trucks that are shiny new and clean. Why do they like driving around hauling air most of the time, I can understand if its for work, but many of these pickups are super clean with nothing in the back there at all.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:49 AM
NCN

21,139 posts, read 22,924,768 times
I can believe that you see SUV's in accidents. My husband's company had him driving a van. He put on the brakes to miss a car and did a half circle turn. These vehicles are not safe. They cause accidents. I will keep my easy to drive car and hope I can stay out of the way of these bully monsters.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:21 AM

11,451 posts, read 17,812,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Try living in Texas, where almost every car is a SUV(mostly midsize, not even compact SUV), minivan, or huge pickup. If you drive a small car here, you won't have any views, so in order to have a better view, you have to have one of those. Plus I have see accidents where the small car gets smashed by SUV, so in a place where its all SUVs, I feel I need to get one so I won't get crushed that bad if crap happens.

Plus its easy to get in and out of.

What I want to know is why there are so many pickup trucks that are shiny new and clean. Why do they like driving around hauling air most of the time, I can understand if its for work, but many of these pickups are super clean with nothing in the back there at all.
It's real simple, they like the way it looks it's just like the oversized guy driving the little sports car, he likes it and he feels cool.
Back to the original topic, I want to see Edwards campaining from a compact car.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 PM

500 posts, read 983,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There you go -

BTW, I'm going to keep my SUV's -

Why?

Ah, and it's SUV's no less... Invidious distinction at work. Congratulations.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 AM

25,106 posts, read 36,336,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Why?

Ah, and it's SUV's no less... Invidious distinction at work. Congratulations.
Why Not? We enjoy them. They fit our lifestyle - Gas Mileage not bad either.

And yes, "SUV's" (plural). I have one - Wife has one. The Government paid us to buy them.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 AM

415 posts, read 1,847,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
While I'm on this rant let's add private business jets to the tax base. They should pay a steep tax based on flight hours for using the air traffic control system and the federally subsidized airports.
As compared to the current airport overcrowding that's caused by poor airline practice? You should actually be THANKING people for taking a business jet. That's one more person not standing in line at the security check point at Big City International Airport ready to take their shoes off. News flash... the air traffic control system would still need to be in place, even if ALL of the business jets were gone. General aviation (which includes business jets) expands the economy in more ways than you can imagine. All while the airline CEOs take home obscene amounts of money? Then they have the gall to demand that they not be required to pay gasoline taxes! Everyone driving a car pays gasoline taxes to help with with the US highway system. Everyone flying a GA plane pays gasoline taxes already. But the airlines, who use the largest amounts of aviation fuel, and thus stand to pay the most in support of the ATC network, want to not pay any more gasoline taxes, because it's "unfair" somehow.
You want to talk about ATC delays? How about the airlines scheduling 59 aircraft to depart or arrive within 14 minutes at O'Hare? Physically impossible, and is the direct cause of airline delays (they aren't ATC delays, they're airline delays) - NOT due to GA aircraft. GA aircraft don't use the major airports BECAUSE of these delays. They use smaller community airports, where fees are already set up to help fund the airport, which is normally done primarily through local funding. You want to decrease your airport delays? Build more runways! But you don't want the runways in YOUR back yard, so there you have it...

So there's your rant. What about these so called "carbon credits" that have burst onto the scene in recent months? THAT seems a farce to me. Please explain how paying someone money offsets the natural resources you're using to heat that 30000 sq ft house? The resources are still gone...

Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 AM

12,635 posts, read 18,845,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Funny how these idiots try to tell us what we should do when they should be asking us what we want them to do.
The only time politicians pretend to care what we think is during election time! And then some of them seem just to good to be true. Then they get into office!
Then some like you say
just Don't Get it at all!
It would be that superiority complex of Well, we just know what you want better than you! attitude...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or