Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:54 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Why are so many of you folks AGAINST better gas mileage?
I suppose it is because they are such energy GOBBLERS at the highest level. I feel like they want us to conserve so there is more for them kind of thing.
I think that most of us are aware of the need to conserve.
If you were here during the gas wars in the 70's it got pretty scary.
Fights at the gas pumps, no gas after you had been in line waiting for gas, limited gas. I feel that they (Edwards) have no business asking anyone to do something that you are not willing to do your self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Boomers are sheep when it comes to consumer goods. Detroit got the SUV bandwagon rolling by Chrysler Corp's successful adverts tying their Jeep brand with macho "get into nature" type behaviors, then they got Washington involved big time with passage of tax incentives (accelerated depreciation schedule) for businesses who buy trucks while SUVs conveniently become classifed as, er, trucks. When the boomers started using SUVs to commute to work, the rot in everyone's thinking was well ensconced. Finally, when market forces led Porsche to announce its own SUV, that was the top, representing the milestone that SUVs, the more tricked-out the better, had become a trophy object. As a symbol of American decadence, it was all downhill from there for the SUV.

Add in road rage, shrinking presence of law enforcement on freeways, the moderation in American gasoline prices during the 1990s, and the advantage of driving a multi-ton rolling object as a means of driver intimidation.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 09-04-2007 at 12:42 AM..

Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Everybody wants America to be great, but no one wants to be the one to sacrifice to help it be that way. We can't drive a compact, because my husband is too tall. We have found a larger car that gets really good mileage. I mentioned selfishness, immaturity, and greed in another post. I see the same things in what I have read on this thread. Pointing a finger at someone else who is more selfish than you are does not cut it. My mother would say, "Just because everyone else goes and jumps in the lake, do you want to too?" Learn to be a leader and be part of the solution and not part of the problem. SUV's are the problem because of their low gas mileage.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I can understand some SUV's falling into that catagory, but not all. Plus there are families that have to have SUV's to survive day to day.

My daughter drives an SUV. She also has 5 children. It's the best vehicle on the road to accomplish what she has to do. And, no she's not going to spend money on a second vehicle just to drive to work. That would be stupid. But her SUV gets 35 mpg. So I don't see how that's adverse to the environment.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:51 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Everybody wants America to be great, but no one wants to be the one to sacrifice to help it be that way. We can't drive a compact, because my husband is too tall. We have found a larger car that gets really good mileage. I mentioned selfishness, immaturity, and greed in another post. I see the same things in what I have read on this thread. Pointing a finger at someone else who is more selfish than you are does not cut it. My mother would say, "Just because everyone else goes and jumps in the lake, do you want to too?" Learn to be a leader and be part of the solution and not part of the problem. SUV's are the problem because of their low gas mileage.
I agree but disagree because Edwards and like want to be in Leadership positions in our country and with that goes a certain responsibility. People do look up to them for guidance and leadership to a point too!
SO you grew up with the jumping into the lake thing me too but mine was a bridge. ha ha.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
We can't drive a compact, because my husband is too tall. We have found a larger car that gets really good mileage.
I don't think that anyone said that compacts are what every patriotic American should drive. Hopefully you got a mid-size sedan like a Toyota Camry. SUVs not only use up more gas but they wear down the roads faster because of their sheer mass. They ride too bumpy, that's why I like my Cadillac DeVille as a touring car.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I can understand some SUV's falling into that catagory, but not all. Plus there are families that have to have SUV's to survive day to day.

My daughter drives an SUV. She also has 5 children. It's the best vehicle on the road to accomplish what she has to do. And, no she's not going to spend money on a second vehicle just to drive to work. That would be stupid. But her SUV gets 35 mpg. So I don't see how that's adverse to the environment.
I agree completely. There are more reasons than "to be cool" to own an SUV. Over the years, and thanks to the navy (joking!), my father has just about obliterated his ankles and knees on one leg... but refuses to be wheel-chaired. Anytime he gets into a car, he runs the risk of severe injury. He drives a Durango because it is the perfect height for him to swing his bad leg in and get in. Why should he give that up?

My mother does a lot of hunting, fishing, and hiking. Because of the space in her Trailblazer, she can keep her gear in there and still have a comfortable ride with 4 passengers. She and I take random road trips all over the place. It's nice to be able to pack your stuff and still fit in the vehicle. She's also over 6 foot tall (Marfan's) and enjoys the plentiful amount of headspace and leg room that a car lacks.

Personally, I have no problem with people owning SUVs.. however, I do feel that there should be a special license for people wishing to drive such big vehicles. Too many times have I seen people driving a Hummer or Excursion who just can't handle it. In that respect, SUVs are extremely dangerous. Too many people can't park them properly.. etc, etc. But if we have an "SUV" inclusive license and a "non-SUV" inclusive license, people would have to basically prove that they can handle the monster they drive.

As for SUVs tearing the road up more than a car. That is why the registration for an SUV is mighty expensive. For my car, it's about $25/year. For my dad's Durango, it's $60/year.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why Not? We enjoy them. They fit our lifestyle - Gas Mileage not bad either.

And yes, "SUV's" (plural). I have one - Wife has one. The Government paid us to buy them.

The lifestyle of pecuniary emulation...

Old 09-05-2007, 02:39 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post

Maybe you should tell everybody the name of that SUV. That's good gas mileage.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Maybe you should tell everybody the name of that SUV. That's good gas mileage.
Sure, it's a honda pilot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections