Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The whole thing in Virginia is complicated and polluted. They are verifying the signatures which they've never done before due to a lawsuit in October. But on top of that, Virginia doesn't allow the President and Vice President to be from the same state. Since Newt is from Virginia, and the governor of Virginia really really wants to be VP, there is a lot of speculation that they are helping Romney against Newt since Newt is leading in Virginia. It would be really funny if everyone in Virginia voted for Ron Paul in protest.

That is totally not true. There is nothing constitutional concerning such a thing.

Gingrich and Perry didn't do their due diligence so to speak, that's the whole story here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That is totally not true. There is nothing constitutional concerning such a thing.

Gingrich and Perry didn't do their due diligence so to speak, that's the whole story here.
I should have phrased that better. Virginia cannot vote for both candidates if they are from the same state. Since they want Virginia, they would not choose him and the Virginia governor wants to be VP badly.

The actual law says that if you have candidates for Vice President and President from the same state, then the electors (electoral college) from that state can not vote for them.

It came back up in 2000, since really Bush and Cheney both lived in Texas. But Cheney rushed back to Wyoming to change his residence back to his birth place to avoid a situation where Texas would be unable to vote for them in the electoral college.

http://askville.amazon.com/President...estId=18135791

"I'd be very interested," McDonnell said. He continued:
I'm not asking for the call. I'm not looking for the call. As I've said many times, I've got the best job in America ... But I think anybody who is in public life, if a presidential nominee called him and said, 'I need your help to win,' it would be a tremendous honor… We'll see. It's going to be seven, eight, nine months before any of these decisions are made."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/v...183850394.html

Last edited by Seacove; 12-28-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I should have phrased that better. Virginia cannot vote for both candidates if they are from the same state. Since they want Virginia, they would not choose him and the Virginia governor wants to be VP badly.

The actual law says that if you have candidates for Vice President and President from the same state, then the electors (electoral college) from that state can not vote for them.

It came back up in 2000, since really Bush and Cheney both lived in Texas. But Cheney rushed back to Wyoming to change his residence back to his birth place to avoid a situation where Texas would be unable to vote for them in the electoral college.

Can a President & Vice-President of USA be from the same state?

"I'd be very interested," McDonnell said. He continued:
I'm not asking for the call. I'm not looking for the call. As I've said many times, I've got the best job in America ... But I think anybody who is in public life, if a presidential nominee called him and said, 'I need your help to win,' it would be a tremendous honor… We'll see. It's going to be seven, eight, nine months before any of these decisions are made."
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell for Vice President? | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
I don't believe Cheney ever rushed back and changed his residence. I think he always kept it in WY according to several friends we have who live in WY. Yes, he lived in Texas but always considered Wy home and had propety there.

Are you sure of your facts, where did you get them?

Nita

Old 12-28-2011, 03:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I didn't vote for Obama.
But you didnt answer the question...

Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
So you expect Newt and Perry to check each signature ?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't believe Cheney ever rushed back and changed his residence. I think he always kept it in WY according to several friends we have who live in WY. Yes, he lived in Texas but always considered Wy home and had propety there.

Are you sure of your facts, where did you get them?

Nita
I got my facts from the 12th Amendment of the Constitution:
"The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves;..."
U.S. Constitution - Amendment 12 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

It is further elaborated on in the link above which you quoted in your reply:
According to the Twelfth Amendment to the US Constitution, "The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves". Therefore, the electors from any state are not permitted to cast a vote for two candidates from their own state.

Before the 2000 election, Dick Cheney owned property in both Texas and Wyoming. Because George W. Bush was from Texas, Cheney modified his voter registration to Wyoming. But what if he hadn't?

In that election, the Bush-Cheney ticket won the state of Texas. But the Texan electors would not have been able to vote for both Bush and Cheney. Presumably they would have voted for Bush for President, and either not cast a vote for Vice-President, or cast votes for some other person. In that case, Bush would have still won the Presidency with 271 electoral votes (to Al Gore's 266*), but there would have been no winner in the Vice-Presidential election, because Dick Cheney would have had only 239 electoral votes (271 minus the 32 from Texas), and Joe Lieberman would have had only 266.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But you didnt answer the question...
I'm sorry, are you Nita?

You don't like it when I highlighted the news of Newt Gingrich's camp not making it on the Virginia ballot?

My response to Nita is what it is. Unless you want to read more into it.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
In that election, the Bush-Cheney ticket won the state of Texas. But the Texan electors would not have been able to vote for both Bush and Cheney. Presumably they would have voted for Bush for President, and either not cast a vote for Vice-President, or cast votes for some other person. In that case, Bush would have still won the Presidency with 271 electoral votes (to Al Gore's 266*), but there would have been no winner in the Vice-Presidential election, because Dick Cheney would have had only 239 electoral votes (271 minus the 32 from Texas), and Joe Lieberman would have had only 266.
I've never once cast a vote for Vice President, by themself, its a package deal

Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I'm sorry, are you Nita?

You don't like it when I highlighted the news of Newt Gingrich's camp not making it on the Virginia ballot?

My response to Nita is what it is. Unless you want to read more into it.
And? This is a public forum, if you dont want people asking you questions, dont post on a public forum

If you only want Nita talking to you, then please pm her on a personal note and stop wasting everyones time here.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I've never once cast a vote for Vice President, by themself, its a package deal
No you don't but you don't vote directly for the President or Vice President. The electoral college does. Have you read the 12th Amendment? Are you familiar with the Constitution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections