U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 AM

35,844 posts, read 35,677,750 times

Advertisements

How would you maximize your chances to win?

Given that none of us are probably politicians in real life, you won't be carrying the baggage of what you have done or said in your past political life. However, what you believe in may not be the way to get elected, either. So, considering the current political climate, the other Democrat and Republican candidates running for president and what they have said and done, the timing/schedule of the primaries, what issues would you campaign heavily on and what would your strategy be to win?

(State your party first - Republican, Democrat or Independent)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 AM

1,562 posts, read 4,006,650 times
Of course try to get a good internet campaign going. Since some people on the internet are fanatics, if you get them to your cause, your more likely to have them go out and mention you to their friends and to their communities.

Also, go on Colbert Report. Every person that went on that show before 2006 election (was I think 30 or so people) got elected. Everyone. It brings in I think about 2 million viewers of which most are college students who are the hardest to target audience. If you can show them you can think on your feet and laugh at yourself, you'll get their support.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,449,748 times
As a Libertarian-leaning Republican, I would base my campaign on ridding the country of illegals, securing our borders, abolishing the federal income tax in favor of a national sales tax, and figuring out a way to end the fiasco in Iraq without "cutting and running".

I think if a viable candidate could produce well-defined ideals based on those platforms, they would win in a runaway.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 PM

2,923 posts, read 4,694,046 times
Legalize pot then secretly drop 2,000,000 tons of it over in Iraq and Palestine, addressed to Hamas, Fatah, Al Quaeda, Sunnis, Shiites, etc. and labeled "From Muhammad: Allah commands you to chill out, maaaaaan, Allah be praised." Then watch both wars end and scores of weapons, ammunition, propaganda films go missing, not because they're hidden but because the terrorists forget where they put them. Then I would send Lassie, Flipper, Rin-tin-tin, and Mr. Ed over there to reindoctrinate them into the ways of America.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:05 PM

5,640 posts, read 14,447,978 times
How do you know that people would not have the baggage that politicians do? Lots of people, every day people, are often just as incapable and miserable as the rest of them.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM

13,036 posts, read 22,741,356 times
Lie a lot, make promises I have no intention of keeping, hire an image consultant, wear designer suits and have my teeth whitened until they really sparkle.

Surely as long as I kiss babies, smile a lot, pretend to believe in god, and spend a fortune on media campaign nobody will give a fig about my policies, principles, or beliefs ?!

Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 PM

11,127 posts, read 13,104,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Lie a lot, make promises I have no intention of keeping, hire an image consultant, wear designer suits and have my teeth whitened until they really sparkle.

Surely as long as I kiss babies, smile a lot, pretend to believe in god, and spend a fortune on media campaign nobody will give a fig about my policies, principles, or beliefs ?!
Are you sure you aren't already running and this is just a pen name? I guess as long as you don't have a running mate named chigger, you are good to go.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM

5,142 posts, read 10,568,212 times
Default Lol :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Hey, you made me laugh ... I am always amazed how politicians will promise you the moon and lie through their teeth and NEVER be held accountable...

what we get every time is the government of the $$$$ for the $$$$, guess we deserve it?!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:39 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,327,320 times
Any of you remember a movie years ago called "The Distinguished Gentleman" starring Eddie Murphy?
Big bonus of that flick was Fred Thompson "playing the role" of an energy company lobbyist.

Last edited by Electron; 08-31-2007 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: dotting i's and crossing t's

Old 09-02-2007, 10:07 AM

35,844 posts, read 35,677,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How would you maximize your chances to win?

Given that none of us are probably politicians in real life, you won't be carrying the baggage of what you have done or said in your past political life. However, what you believe in may not be the way to get elected, either. So, considering the current political climate, the other Democrat and Republican candidates running for president and what they have said and done, the timing/schedule of the primaries, what issues would you campaign heavily on and what would your strategy be to win?

(State your party first - Republican, Democrat or Independent)
As a Republican I would:

1. Poll the over 55 crowd and find out what their Top 3 issues are and their position on each of them. Since they vote in higher numbers than other age groups, I would make sure I can articulate what I would do to address their issues.

2. I would publicly compare my opponents plans (in both parties) to end illegal immigration with the bill that was defeated. I'm hearing a number of candidates with plans that sound an awful lot like the bill that was defeated, with only a slight bit of tinkering. Before I do that, I better be able to offer something different. If I am a good communicator (their eyes can't glaze over) I would show the average American what illegal immigration costs them as taxpayers.

3. After seeing the numbers of Americans (71%) who support the use of surveillance cameras (and how the support goes across party lines, ideologies, populations groups), I would definitely, without a doubt, absolutely positively push the issues related to The Patriot Act and the Protect America Act. If anyone currently in the House or the Senate and is currently running for office, voted against either or voted for making short temporary provisions or chopped anything out of a stronger law, I would name names---REPEATEDLY. If the Protect America Act only gets another temporary extension, I would name names. In fact, I would post the voting records of my opponents (in both parties) on both Patriot Act and Protect America on my website. The timing of the sunsetting (is that a verb?) of the Protect America Act is right before the primaries. It's a win-win for Republicans seeking re-election, too. If Dems vote against extending it, Republicans can claim Democrats are weak on protecting us and 71% of Americans might agree if it is articulated well. If the Democrats vote for extending or passing it, it will drive the far lefties in their own party crazy.

4. I would point out how the different programs being pushed by my opponents will cost an individual's taxes to increase. A lot of people want things because they don't put the government paying for it together with tax increases to make "the government paying for it" happen. Again, good communication skills necessary.

5. I would put Canadians, that had to come to the US for life-threatening medical procedures, in TV commercials to tell their stories. I would make sure those commercials aired during shows with an older audience.

Can't say anything about Iraq until I hear what Petraeus has to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or