Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,261,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The 1st amendment is there for a reason.
It is not there to pick and choose how it is enforced.

You don't have to agree with a position, but you cannot deny them their right to express themselves.
It is called freedom.
So now the take is - Ron Paul had the Constitutional right to write racist/offensive comments. Or is it that Ron Paul never wrote those things?

Paul supporters are in real spin mode now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,335,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
So now the take is - Ron Paul had the Constitutional right to write racist/offensive comments. Or is it that Ron Paul never wrote those things?
Yes.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,413,714 times
Really? That is the best anyone has? Trying to paint Mr. Paul as a racist is just silly. Again, the exercising of libertarian principles totally negate/disallows for the exercise of racism. Now, can racism be harbored in a person's heart? Sure. No one can change a man's heart, but that man himself. So the next best thing is having a philosophical system that denies the ability of that man to act or enact racism. If Mr. Paul is a racist, his philosophical construct will not allow him to express it. Furthermore, it would force him to make sure that those to whom he harbors racist sentiments would be given freedom and liberty. It really is that easy.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,683,548 times
It this true?

» Shock Photos: Candidate Obama Appeared And Marched With New Black Panther Party in 2007 - Big Government

And this?

http://www.moonbattery.com/new_black...rack_obama.jpg

Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,398 times
you compared black voters who voted for obama to stormfront whites. hard to take you seriously.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,335,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
you compared black voters who voted for obama to stormfront whites. hard to take you seriously.
I think her point is that associating crazy white bigots with Ron Paul is as silly as associating crazy black bigots with Barack Obama. It's bad journalism to associate some crazy supporters as representative of a candidate's views.

Somebody snapped a picture of a crazy bigot standing next to Ron Paul at a campaign event, which has been floated around the internet a bit. It's similar to the picture that KickAssArmyChick posted of Barack Obama with the Black Panthers.

I suppose that I can't speak for her, but I think that's the direction that she intended to go with her post.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:45 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I think her point is that associating crazy white bigots with Ron Paul is as silly as associating crazy black bigots with Barack Obama. It's bad journalism to associate some crazy supporters as representative of a candidate's views.

Somebody snapped a picture of a crazy bigot standing next to Ron Paul at a campaign event, which has been floated around the internet a bit. It's similar to the picture that KickAssArmyChick posted of Barack Obama with the Black Panthers.

I suppose that I can't speak for her, but I think that's the direction that she intended to go with her post.
I think you are mostly correct, but with the difference being that:

1. The storm front member attended a Paul event
2. Obama attended the black panther event

Different when you are the one that seeks out the group and actively participate in their event, rather than the group seeing you out.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

You missed the point completely.

There is a HUGE double standard here.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post

Yes...that pretty much sums it all up.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,491,159 times
Quote:
During a radio interview on Thursday, Paul grappled with a caller and admitted that he did, in fact, write a portion of the newsletters he has recently disavowed.
He didn't "disavow" the "newsletters" in the first place, for the simple reason that 99.9% of their contents were uncontroversial and don't need to be "disavowed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections