U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 09:51 PM

8,755 posts, read 9,489,281 times

Advertisements

DES MOINES — With a revamped message and a significant TV presence here, Rick Perry is hoping to revive his disappointing presidential campaign with a surprise finish Tuesday.
But even as they hold out hope that Perry can find a way back into contention, some of his advisers have begun laying the groundwork to explain how the Texas governor bombed so dramatically in a race that he seemed to control for a brief period upon his entry in August.

Their explanations for the nosedive come against the backdrop of a campaign riven by an intense, behind-the-scenes power struggle that took place largely between a group of the governor’s longtime advisers and a new cadre of consultants brought on this fall. In the end, the outsiders won out — and ever since have marginalized Perry’s longtime chief strategist while crafting a new strategy in which the Texan has portrayed himself as a political outsider and culture warrior.
In a series of interviews with POLITICO, sources close to the campaign depict a dysfunctional operation that might be beyond saving because of what they describe as the political equivalent of malpractice by the previous regime.

“There has never been a more ineptly orchestrated, just unbelievably subpar campaign for president of the United States than this one,” said a senior Perry adviser.

Read more: Rick Perry campaign plays blame game - Jonathan Martin and Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Sounds like there are a lot of problems within this campaign.

Last edited by dixiegirl7; 12-31-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 11:36 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,843,588 times
Doesn't surprise me. The problem with Rick Perry is that he and his organization have never been tested. He got used to easy wins in Texas because catered shamelessly to the Texas monied elite. As governor, the states buoyant economy made him look good with him having to all that much. He really thought he could just march onto the national stage and have the nomination and eventually the presidency handed to him. When it proved to be more of a challenge than he expected, he displayed his true incompetence.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Doesn't surprise me. The problem with Rick Perry is that he and his organization have never been tested. He got used to easy wins in Texas because catered shamelessly to the Texas monied elite. As governor, the states buoyant economy made him look good with him having to all that much. He really thought he could just march onto the national stage and have the nomination and eventually the presidency handed to him. When it proved to be more of a challenge than he expected, he displayed his true incompetence.

I was surprised one of his senior advisers would speak out like that though. He must be on his way out. I think you are right in that they thought running for president would be just like running for governor and it's clearly not. They were just not ready for prime time. Sounds like Perry's wife calls a lot of the shots in his career.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 AM

1,708 posts, read 5,871,590 times
Quote:
I think that is a pretty accurate assessment. He's not so much incompetent as he is simply not a good national political candidate. A lot of good ole boy network has kept him afloat in Texas.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:48 AM

12,488 posts, read 5,793,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
“There has never been a more ineptly orchestrated, just unbelievably subpar campaign for president of the United States than this one,” said a senior Perry adviser.
Sure helps when you have an inept and subpar candidate.

I never understood the GOP's love affair with Rick Perry anyways. What made him so great? How was he going to beat Obama?

I had a third thing to say here, but I forgot what it was.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Sure helps when you have an inept and subpar candidate.

I never understood the GOP's love affair with Rick Perry anyways. What made him so great? How was he going to beat Obama?

I had a third thing to say here, but I forgot what it was.

lol...I never got it either and still don't actually. I even tried to see it and thought for like one second maybe I could support him...just couldn't do it.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 AM

2,953 posts, read 4,843,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
lol...I never got it either and still don't actually. I even tried to see it and thought for like one second maybe I could support him...just couldn't do it.
I think I can understand it. The (semi) conservative governor of a state that didn't suffer as badly as the rest of the country during the worst recession in modern times, actually had decent job creation, sounded pretty good on his resume.

However, many of us in Texas knew Rick Perry was in no way responsible for that. And it was never as rosey as he sought to paint it to the rest of the country. There was significant unemployment here, just not as bad as elsewhere. And those of us who lost our jobs and did manage to find work, did so at a lower rate of pay. And for the people who actually care about education in this state, watched as Perry dismantled the system here, underfunded it, and generally made it worse than it has ever been at least in my lifetime, but still managed to funnel millions of state funds to his corporate buddies.

I'm glad the country saw through him so early in the game. I just wish he never got on the national stage to begin with, in doing so he has embarrassed the people of Texas. Of course, he could never actually embarrese himself, his ego has always been too big.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I think I can understand it. The (semi) conservative governor of a state that didn't suffer as badly as the rest of the country during the worst recession in modern times, actually had decent job creation, sounded pretty good on his resume.

However, many of us in Texas knew Rick Perry was in no way responsible for that. And it was never as rosey as he sought to paint it to the rest of the country. There was significant unemployment here, just not as bad as elsewhere. And those of us who lost our jobs and did manage to find work, did so at a lower rate of pay. And for the people who actually care about education in this state, watched as Perry dismantled the system here, underfunded it, and generally made it worse than it has ever been at least in my lifetime, but still managed to funnel millions of state funds to his corporate buddies.

I'm glad the country saw through him so early in the game. I just wish he never got on the national stage to begin with, in doing so he has embarrassed the people of Texas. Of course, he could never actually embarrese himself, his ego has always been too big.

I don't think less of Texas or it's citizens because of him, except those that stubbornly won't see any of his shortcomings no matter what. I just don't get that. I have never seen such idolotry of a governor of a state.
I know everyone is not like that though. I have relatives in Texas and they think he is dufus also. Of course, I can't really think of a governor we have had in KY that wasn't pretty much a dufus. We are just not all that loyal to our state politicians I guess...lol.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:19 AM

12,488 posts, read 5,793,274 times
Perhaps the greatest puzzle of all when it comes to Rick Perry: Why oh why didn't anybody ever call him on the carpet for being the most fake Republican that ever ran for president as a Republican?

Some people change opinions. Sometimes there is a massive paradigm shift moment in their life causing them to realize they've been supporting viewpoints that are just wrong -- that sort of thing. Sometimes they wake up one day and realize that in their heart and soul, they are in the wrong political party.

Rick Perry was never that guy. He hops on the Democrat wagon because that was the ride that would get him into the state legislature. Who knows if he was ever a real Democrat? He threw his support in for Al Gore for President, so he definitely played the part of being a real Democrat. Then when the opportunity came to take an even more prestigious political position, he dropped the Democratic Party and everything it stood for in without a second thought and became a repentant insta-convert to the gospel of conservative Republican ideology.

Had it been necessary to win the governorship, there is no doubt in my mind that he's have switched back to Democrat again. But luckily for him, maintaining the role of conservative Republican was the right horse to ride to the governor's mansion.

Was this guy ever a real Democrat? Was he ever a real Republican? Did he ever have any actual opinion of his own, or did convenience and political power dictate his entire belief set all along?

Romney catches hell for is dubbed a flip-flopper. If you can hammer Romney for changes on a handful of issues, how in the world does Perry get a free pass for changing on the entire list of all of his political positions? How on earth did Rick Perry not get absolutely blasted for being "a conservative Republican by convenience only"? Some people out there are still sold on the idiot idea that Perry is "a true conservative."

Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 AM

36,430 posts, read 37,274,110 times
Rick Perry has the best economic message that he's not using. I don't know why he's talking culture. There was a really good killer TV ad that was produced for his last governing campaign that showed many awards for Texas, many pro-business/pro-jobs things, and great statistics of things that have taken place during his tenure as governor. All they had to do was modify it for the National stage to show why he'd be the best jobs President. He's the only candidate with military, legislative and governing executive experience but it's never mentioned. Everybody talks tort reform but Texas has actually done it and it brought medical professionals and other businesses flooding into the state. That's jobs, too. Everybody mentions Israel but Perry/Texas has an actual longtime business relationship with Israel. Energy is his ace in the hole thing for jobs. He should be jumping all over Obama's energy policy and explain WHY energy is the key to our own economic future and tons of private sector jobs of all types. He's the best person to see it to fruition and explain it to Joe citizen who when they think oil jobs or coal jobs just think drilling and mining. He should be talking to them about other jobs in the industry. And lastly, I don't know why he waited to tell Iowa that none of those Congressmen candidates have an iota of executive experience and the White House shouldn't be training camp for them. He should have brought it up in the debates when the governors were taking heat for actually doing things. Who has a record of dealing with disasters involving millions of people? Not some Congressman sitting on Capitol Hill or some professor/doctor/consultant/lawyer. He should have been challenging the Congressmen who are promising this and that with "then why didn't you introduce legislation to do it when you had the chance?" It's not Romney's job to eliminate the Congressmen. The more of those conservatives still in the race means Romney can tread water with his measely 20 something percent and still be on top. Why Romney doesn't go after Huntsman still baffles me but that's a different thread. And will someone please ask Romney on what hasn't he changed his mind?

I agree with the article that says Perry shouldn't waste his time in New Hampshire. He should have been in South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections