Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually, it's a poorly written article full of factual errors. And I'm not an Iowa native, just a recent transplant, so I'm not saying that defensively.

As to who will win, I work in Fairfield, which is probably the most independent-minded community in the state due to the fact that it's home to the Maharishi University of Management. Their unique blend of what we consider conservative and liberal thought is right in line with Dr. Paul's views, so there are Ron Paul signs everywhere.

So based on what I'm seeing I'd think Paul would win in a landslide; but as I stated, this area is unique in it's thinking so he may get trampled at the caucus.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Yeah Jefferson County was the only county Dr. Paul won in the 2008 caucus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
This is why we pay attention to the Iowa Caucuses ... Errr....???

Observations From 20 Years of Iowa Life - Stephen G. Bloom - Politics - The Atlantic

Well, maybe not.
Nothin' to see here folks...keep moving.

Garbage article written by an elitist college prof. Here's a better much more accurate take:

Iowa Nice (CLEAN VERSION) - YouTube

Note: thread already started to discuss this vid.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ing-media.html

Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
My prediction:

1 - Romney
2 - Santorum
3 - Paul

below 3 doesn't matter

Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,631 times
Default My Prediction For IOWA

First let me say I want Paul to win. But I have to be realist about who we are fighting in this battle for the GOP nomination. I have great hope and pray to GOD that paul will win IOWA. BUT this is BIG BUT I don't think votes will be counted and GOP party leaders will be doing whatever they want.
Being that many in the media and republican party do not want Paul to win I question what amout of cheating this party will do whatever it takes to have Ron Paul look bad.

I think they will take it so far to give Rick S second place just to keep Paul off the radar from the news.

So based on neocon republican party politics and cheaters I suspect it will be Romney, Santorium and then Paul "tied with Gingrich" I know the polls show Paul in second or first but those wont the IOWA GOP has another plan.

To many republicans will come out of the wood work to support a BIG GOVERNMENT social conservative and flip flopping Democrat/Republican called Mitt and if they dont get the VOTES the GOP in IOWA will make them up.

I want real HOPE and CHANGE but even the republican party DOESNT REALLY WANT TO CHANGE ANYTHING!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
This is why we pay attention to the Iowa Caucuses ... Errr....???

Observations From 20 Years of Iowa Life - Stephen G. Bloom - Politics - The Atlantic

Well, maybe not.
Pretty much sounds like any town in the U.S.
Surmise to say,
The author would ***** where ever they lived...

Paraphrasing Hillary: I'm like a flower - where ever
I'm planted, I start a garden Good advice for
anyone relocating anywhere.

IMO, the opinion of Iowans is just as important as any
other **** hole(I mean garden) in the good ole US of A.
Maybe, even more...

Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
No.

If you look into the Paul organized protocol. It will be well documented as the ballots are totaled.

This has been discussed over and over, on the Paul forum, because it is a topic that has come up over and over after the documented proof, they will try anything to silence Ron Paul's message.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
I honestly don't know who's going to win. The "Santorum surge" is what has kind of muddled the field. I expect it to be very close for 1-2 with 3 trailing slightly.
Well if the turnout for each candidate yesterday and today is an indication, I think Ron Paul will win in a landslide. There are no current pictures of Romney talking to hundreds of supporters yesterday. The only venue Santorum can fill is a coffee house filled with voters who are on the fence.Yet there are numerous pictures and videos of Ron Paul talking in ginormous venues and they were definitely from yesterday (not tapes of him talking to a big group weeks ago like they probably are trying to get away with for Romney).

Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Well if the turnout for each candidate yesterday and today is an indication, I think Ron Paul will win in a landslide. There are no current pictures of Romney talking to hundreds of supporters yesterday. The only venue Santorum can fill is a coffee house filled with voters who are on the fence.Yet there are numerous pictures and videos of Ron Paul talking in ginormous venues and they were definitely from yesterday (not tapes of him talking to a big group weeks ago like they probably are trying to get away with for Romney).
The thing about Romney, is, he's the type of candidate that can make it seem like he has no ground game when in reality he has a large group (with $) of supporters. It could be painful to underestimate him.

On Santorum I believe that his "surge" was manufactured by the media but look at Gingrich. He had loads of support during his surge even if he doesn't now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of people (mostly social cons) go for Santorum today that didn't have a candidate to rally behind

Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Pretty much sounds like any town in the U.S.
Surmise to say,
The author would ***** where ever they lived...

Paraphrasing Hillary: I'm like a flower - where ever
I'm planted, I start a garden Good advice for
anyone relocating anywhere.

IMO, the opinion of Iowans is just as important as any
other **** hole(I mean garden) in the good ole US of A.
Maybe, even more...
Seems an odd article indeed, basically only about small towns and rural areas, while Dubuque is piling up awards for its progressive ways...

Maybe people just shouldn't move from San Francisco to the Midwest the way that guy did

Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Apparently Iowa has a reputation for voter fraud. We need as many poll watchers as possible.

1) Check that the number of people who vote does not exceed the number of people who attend the caucus;

2) Check that the number of votes counted does not exceed the number of people who voted;
3) Use your cell phone to capture a photo or video of the local caucus result, as evidence. It doesn't matter what you say happened; only a photo or video matters. Compare this with the state party's report of your local caucus report to make sure it's the same.
4) Make sure the state party promptly provides the result of each local caucus together with the total.
5) Check that the sum of all the local caucuses adds up to the total reported by the state party.
The BRAD BLOG : GOP Iowa Caucuses: Photo ID-Free Registration and Voting on Publicly Hand-Counted Paper Ballots

Tonight’s final vote tally for the Iowa caucuses will take place at a secret undisclosed location, an announcement that has stoked fears of vote fraud amongst Ron Paul supporters, concerns that were heightened following a Republican insider’s claim that the GOP establishment will not allow Paul to win.
Prison Planet.com » Tonight’s Iowa Vote Count To Take Place At Secret Location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections