Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,814,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There has been no media blackouts of Ron Paul.. For gods sakes, they've been talking about him all over the place.
To smear him, sure. If not to smear and denigrate him, they don't talk about him. I can't imagine the last time anyone in the media did a decent interview of him with the intention of letting him speak, and not trying to entrap him with gotcha questions and then rudely cutting him off every time he tries to finish a sentence.

An Iowa win for Paul won't discredit Iowa, but surely would discredit the mainstream media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Well if the turnout for each candidate yesterday and today is an indication, I think Ron Paul will win in a landslide. There are no current pictures of Romney talking to hundreds of supporters yesterday. The only venue Santorum can fill is a coffee house filled with voters who are on the fence.Yet there are numerous pictures and videos of Ron Paul talking in ginormous venues and they were definitely from yesterday (not tapes of him talking to a big group weeks ago like they probably are trying to get away with for Romney).
You think a few pictures tell the story? Oh well, in about 8 hours we will have an idea.

Nita

Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,028,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Good thing about that is, in 2016 they may only have to change the first name on that letterhead.

Rand Paul answers press question about running for President in 2016 - YouTube

Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,959,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
couldn't agree more. I was about to ask, yesterday, if this was a political board or a Ron Paul board?

Nita
I personally believe it is an Organized movement to swamp this board with Paul threads in an effort to get more support for Paul, run by his own worker bees. The shear number of threads on Paul proves it to me, no other candidate or topic has nearly this number of threads and the same words are repeated over and over again, almost cult like. The reality is most of his fans are so fanatical that they drive more away more people than they bring on board, all one has to do is disagree on any topic with Paul and you get the "other" side of his "sweet and peaceful" fans. I would love it if the MODs would combine every Paul tread into one huge "I Love Ron Paul and if you do not then you hate America thread" then the rest of the elections can be discussed without having to wade through the same threads repeated over and over again and the Paul fans can have their love in. But I know it is Not gonna happen

Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,576,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Claudhopper is probably thinking about Illinois. We're all just a bunch of ignorant hilbillies here in the midwest, so it's easy to get the states confused.
We've all heard it, they are already discounting the importance of the Iowa vote.

Iowa Governor Terry Branstad rhetorically undermined the sanctity of his own state’s poll by encouraging people, in the event of a Paul victory, to ignore the will of the voters and instead concentrate on who comes second and third.
“People are going to look at who comes in second and who comes in third,” said Branstad, adding, ““If [Mitt] Romney comes in a strong second, it definitely helps him going into New Hampshire and the other states,” comments taken to mean that Republicans should “ignore” Ron Paul, according to Politico’s Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns.
Establishment media talking heads have also resolved to ignore the result of the primary if Ron Paul is victorious. “If Ron Paul wins Iowa, we just take it out,” Politico’s chief columnist Roger Simon told MSNBC last month.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,289,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
We've all heard it, they are already discounting the importance of the Iowa vote.

Iowa Governor Terry Branstad rhetorically undermined the sanctity of his own state’s poll by encouraging people, in the event of a Paul victory, to ignore the will of the voters and instead concentrate on who comes second and third.
“People are going to look at who comes in second and who comes in third,” said Branstad, adding, ““If [Mitt] Romney comes in a strong second, it definitely helps him going into New Hampshire and the other states,” comments taken to mean that Republicans should “ignore” Ron Paul, according to Politico’s Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns.
Establishment media talking heads have also resolved to ignore the result of the primary if Ron Paul is victorious. “If Ron Paul wins Iowa, we just take it out,” Politico’s chief columnist Roger Simon told MSNBC last month.
None of this has anything to do with voter fraud.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,028,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There has been no media blackouts of Ron Paul.. For gods sakes, they've been talking about him all over the place.
That's recent.

You certainly didn't miss this:

Saturday Night Live Mocks the Media Blackout of Ron Paul - YouTube

or this:

Ron Paul Black Out - YouTube

Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,289,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I personally believe it is an Organized movement to swamp this board with Paul threads in an effort to get more support for Paul, run by his own worker bees. The shear number of threads on Paul proves it to me, no other candidate or topic has nearly this number of threads and the same words are repeated over and over again, almost cult like. The reality is most of his fans are so fanatical that they drive more away more people than they bring on board, all one has to do is disagree on any topic with Paul and you get the "other" side of his "sweet and peaceful" fans. I would love it if the MODs would combine every Paul tread into one huge "I Love Ron Paul and if you do not then you hate America thread" then the rest of the elections can be discussed without having to wade through the same threads repeated over and over again and the Paul fans can have their love in. But I know it is Not gonna happen
First of all, I think you are overestimating the importance of City-Data with regard to it's impact on this race. Check out the Iowa forum sometime, there are like 10 people who post there on a semi-regular basis. WHOOPEE! That's what I'm going after if I'm running for president!!

And secondly, with regard to the number of posts about Ron Paul, look at it this way: If you have gone to McDonalds every Friday for the last 30 years and ordered a Big Mac, are you likely to go to the Food forum and start a thread about how great the Big Mac is? It's unlikely; because even though you like it, it's nothing new and different so you probably won't have much to say about it. But if you stop at a new place and try something different that you really like you are far more likely to want to tell other people about it.

That's how I see the Ron Paul love on here; the other candidates might great guys (and gal), but they are more of the same old thing that's been trotted out every election cycle for years now so they aren't going to get as much attention. Paul is different, so people are more likely to want to jump up and down about him.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. Do with it what you will. I'm writing in George McGovern myself.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,576,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
To smear him, sure. If not to smear and denigrate him, they don't talk about him. I can't imagine the last time anyone in the media did a decent interview of him with the intention of letting him speak, and not trying to entrap him with gotcha questions and then rudely cutting him off every time he tries to finish a sentence.

An Iowa win for Paul won't discredit Iowa, but surely would discredit the mainstream media.
Right, except for the Jay Leno show, that was a great interview.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 4,873 times
Thumbs up Ron Paul Plays To Packed House As Supporters Await Victory in Iowa

Ron Paul plays to packed house as supporters await victory - latimes.com

“This is almost like a real rally,” the Republican presidential hopeful exclaimed. “This is great!”

Polls show Paul in a position to pull off an upset victory in the caucuses Tuesday night, an accomplishment that, if it happens, would amount to one extremely sharp stick in the eye of the GOP establishment.

There’s energy. It’s overflowing. And it’s coming tomorrow,” Rand Paul told the crowd. “We’re going to win in Iowa tomorrow.”

If Ron Paul does win, it will be viewed widely by analysts as a fluke, a one-shot that will do little to derail Mitt Romney's march to the GOP nomination. But Paul’s supporters don’t buy that — and many of them aren’t interested in supporting other Republican candidates or worrying about what the political press thinks.

“I think they’re a bunch of losers, whining and crying,” said Tara Wilkens of Seattle, who came to Iowa to support Paul’s efforts. She called the crowd in the ballroom “super-exciting. It’s contagious!”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections