Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,913,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
jkbatca, Stop knocking McCain's 2008 performance. Honestly, with the economy at its worst in many decades, no Repub could have beaten an incredibly popular Obama in '08. Hillary was the strongest other candidate in either 2008 or 2012. she put up a great fight, and lost.

A 2 term pres is always "de facto" runnning for term 3, with a new name. His legacy provides the result for term 3. The economic collpase killed any GOP candidate in '08, and quite frankly, McCain did well to stay within 10, and to avoid a 40 state landslide.

Anyone delusional enough to not realize this can never forsee circumstances where a Repub loses. That is insane.
I really wish people, especially the left, would quit this crap of anyone not agreeing with them is insane.

Reagan won not because he was a Republican, he won because he clearly articulated a series of ideas which resonated with enough people to win them over. The ideas were about self-reliance and reducing dependance of big government among other thing. He couldn't carry out those ideas thanks to the Democrat Congress, but those ideas won over enough people.

McCain, Romney, Huntsman, et al. do not put forth a message of self-reliance and reducing the size of government. They put forth messages of "working across the isle", compromise, and continuing Democrat policies. If one candidate would clearly articulate a set of core conservative policies and why they would work, like Reagan did, he or she would have cleaned up in 2008 as well as 2012. It also doesn't help when a message is now drowned out in the flood of propaganda and verbal garbage on the Internet that one has to wade through nowadays.

The only candidate which I can see that clearly articulates a set of conservative policies which distinguishes themselves from the Democrats is Ron Paul, and Santorum to some extent. The problem is that message is cut off by the corporate media on the left (MSNBC/CNN) and the right (Fox News) to preserve the corporate status-quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,000,959 times
jkbatca, I am an anti-Obama poster, but it was insane to think 2008 was winnable. Had Bush left with a good economy, that would change the odds. But 2008 was going to be a big Democratic win year, once the economy went into free-fall, to the tune of 750,000 job losses per month. Reagan would have LOST in 2008. Bush left his party in the same, unwinnable mess Jimmy Carter left his in 28 years prior. That is not a knock on Reagan, but an admission of the circumstances of 11/2008. It was unprecedented free fall economy (excluding the few old enough to be adults during the 30s, of course).

Short memory?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,913,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
jkbatca, I am an anti-Obama poster, but it was insane to think 2008 was winnable. Had Bush left with a good economy, that would change the odds. But 2008 was going to be a big Democratic win year, once the economy went into free-fall, to the tune of 750,000 job losses per month. Reagan would have LOST in 2008. Bush left his party in the same, unwinnable mess Jimmy Carter left his in 28 years prior. That is not a knock on Reagan, but an admission of the circumstances of 11/2008. It was unprecedented free fall economy (excluding the few old enough to be adults during the 30s, of course).

Short memory?
You rightfully point out the economic disaster of 2008, but do not point out the cause and how to avoid it...

When it comes to insanity, it drives me nuts when "Eleanor Clift" from that PBS "McLaughlin Group" show says the 2008 issue was a failure of capitalism. No Eleanor, it was a failure of government policies from Congress in the 1990s, Clinton, and Bush to repeal Great Depression era legislation like the "Glass-Steagall Act of 1933" coupled with insanely low prime rates during Bush, among other things, to allow businesses and individuals to go nuts with housing loans.

So when it came time for the 2008 election, Bush was part of the problem, but a true conservative could have properly articulated that it was yet another example of government failure, not capitalism failure. Government put in place policies which encouraged whole sale corruption and looting, and then politicians are shocked when that takes place afterward.

Like I said, Ron Paul is the only candidate I've ever heard place blame at the proper places, like the Fed and Congress.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,666,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post

When it comes to insanity,

Government put in place policies which encouraged whole sale corruption and looting, and then politicians are shocked when that takes place afterward.

Like I said, Ron Paul is the only candidate I've ever heard place blame at the proper places, like the Fed and Congress.

Perhaps he does. But Paul's so-called solutions are radical and extremely Unstable!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,359,196 times
Nominating Romney is simply a vote for "settling". Not exactly inspiring and not exactly the way to correct the poor path our country is currently heading towards...

Quote:
At a time when grassroots conservative/Christian voters are as engaged as they’ve been in several years and ready to take on the system, many of their leaders are unfortunately following the same failed paradigm.

That failed paradigm, which included making a Faustian bargain for a seat at the GOP table instead of focusing on driving the agenda, helped lead to the nominations of milquetoast Republicrats like George H.W. Bush, Bob Dole. George W. Bush, and John McCain. And if the trend continues, Romney will be the next in line to benefit from the fact we lions are led by lambs.

It should come as no surprise the media isn’t vetting Romney and is trying to pick him as our nominee, because that’s exactly what they did with fellow RINO McCain four years ago. Rest assured, however, that once Romney is the nominee they will do him exactly like they did McCain four years ago come the general.
Link to full article: Lions Led by Lambs | Steve Deace

Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,313,302 times
Go to any gun forum and find out just how many people are absolutely refusing to vote Romney. They believe he will bring more anti-gun laws since it will have the (R) blessing. They actually will support Obama or Paul (even though they HATE RP's foreign policy) over Romney because either will hold back anti-gun laws, either through gridlock or veto.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,468,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
They also rallied around McCain and they still got crushed by Obama. I think many on this forum are severely underestimating the power of Obama's political ingenuity. An African American candidate who can win traditional red states like: Indiana, Virginia, and North Carolina is no walk over.
Exactly. The debating and fun hasn't even begun yet. Oh boy I cannot wait for that one. What I am hearing is a lot of damaging talk from Romney that Obama will definitely use against him (example "I love firing people"). What a dumb a**. I am loving this primary!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Exactly. The debating and fun hasn't even begun yet. Oh boy I cannot wait for that one. What I am hearing is a lot of damaging talk from Romney that Obama will definitely use against him (example "I love firing people"). What a dumb a**. I am loving this primary!
John Kerry (R) should've said something like "if a person provides very bad service, they ought to be let go". Conveys the same message without the herp derp.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:49 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,976,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
John Kerry (R) should've said something like "if a person provides very bad service, they ought to be let go". Conveys the same message without the herp derp.
Ron Paul (D-TX) should have shut his trap when blaming America for 9-11. Nobody's perfect.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Ron Paul (D-TX) should have shut his trap when blaming America for 9-11. Nobody's perfect.
LOL, it would warm Paul's heart to have a full automatic AR-15/AK-47 in every home and to eliminate Social Security and Medicare. Kerry (R)? Not so much. Democrat...LOL. Try harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections