Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,105 times

Advertisements

Ron Paul took a day off from the campaign trail on Wednesday, not to pause from politics, but to urge his colleagues on Capitol Hill to overturn the provision in the National Defense Authorization Act that allows indefinite detention for Americans.

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, or the NDAA, was inked by President Barack Obama on New Year’s Eve, despite immense opposition from Americans who were concerned by vague language that could allow the commander-in-chief to use military forces to domestically police the United States. Under Section 1021 of the NDAA, any person, US citizen or not, can be held without trial by American armed forces if they are suspected of being engaged in hostilities against the country by al-Qaeda or associated forces.

Ron Paul fights indefinite detention of Americans | End the Lie - Independent News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM

665 posts, read 1,243,364 times
Obama doesnt support the bill he was forced by congress to pass the bill with a 100 votes in the senate. He signed Presidental seal of dissapproval which means he is basically going to ignore that part of the law.

ifyou have a problem with the law call your local senator

Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
This man is my hero....whether he wins or not-- he is the only politician I've felt compelled to pay attention to

Ron Paul NDAA Shut Up.You Don't Get a Lawyer " - YouTube

Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
This man is my hero....whether he wins or not-- he is the only politician I've felt compelled to pay attention to

Same here. He is always fighting for the American people.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
Obama doesnt support the bill he was forced by congress to pass the bill with a 100 votes in the senate. He signed Presidental seal of dissapproval which means he is basically going to ignore that part of the law.

ifyou have a problem with the law call your local senator
Obama may ignore it, but there's nothing stopping the next occupant of the White House from declaring people to be "terrorist." It's on issues like this where I really like Ron Paul. Pretty much everything else he says...well, not so much.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,928 times
Lindsay Graham is the one who Ron Paul quoted by the way. A Republican Senator from South Carolina. Gotta love it

Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Obama may ignore it, but there's nothing stopping the next occupant of the White House from declaring people to be "terrorist." It's on issues like this where I really like Ron Paul. Pretty much everything else he says...well, not so much.
Ron Paul supported that law in 2001.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

RIGHT ON RON!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM

791 posts, read 460,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Ron Paul supported that law in 2001.
So you give us the authorization for use of force to go after Bin Laden as a substitute for the NDAA? That's a specious argument and you know it. You might also recall the Dr. Paul voted AGAINST the Patriot Act, as well.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
So you give us the authorization for use of force to go after Bin Laden as a substitute for the NDAA? That's a specious argument and you know it. You might also recall the Dr. Paul voted AGAINST the Patriot Act, as well.
First you need to understand that NDAA is a bill used for last 50 years to fund defense. What kind of nuttiness would it take to repeal the budget for defense?

Second, what you're talking about is really a provision inserted into NDAA. Now which one? That remains unclear to me at this time. I picked one likely candidate, and that is defined in section 1021, which simply reaffirms a law that Ron Paul and nearly 100% of the Congress supported and signed up for, in 2001. In fact there was only one person in the entire congress to vote "No", and that wasn't Ron Paul. That was Barbara Lee (D-CA).

And finally, where in the world do you see a direct reference to Bin Laden in Public Law 107-40? Do you see "exceptions" for traitors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections