Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Then what's the point of COBRA if no one can afford it? Are you saying that politicians have gotten it wrong once again?
It was never about access, which is what COBRA covers, it's about cost. Our premiums for family coverage were over $1,000 per month. We paid a big portion. Under COBRA, termed employees still had access to the plan. I didn't pay anything for termed employees. Medical was a benefit for employees only. Very few ever elected it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
– RON PAUL: And you should have an opportunity — medical care insurance should be given to you as an individual, so if you’re employed or not employed, you have — you just take care of that and you keep it up.

– NEWT GINGRICH: She ought to get the same tax break whether she buys personally or whether she buys through a economy. She should also be able to buy into an association so that she’s buying with lots of other people so it’s not single insurance, which is the most expensive kind.

– MITT ROMNEY: What we should do is allow individuals to own their own insurance and have the same tax treatment as companies get. You do that and people like this young woman would be able to own her insurance. The rates would be substantial lower for her buying it individually than if she had to buy it individually today.

– RICK SANTORUM: All three of these folks sound great and I agree with them.
I'm not reading their reactions the way the OP is. Not that I like a lot of the GOP positions, but in this instance they are advocating for health insurance that is tied to the person, not to the employer. Currently, individual policies are much more costly than employer group policies due to economies of scale and the fact that insurers want to get large employer groups and often price competitively against each other. These candidates are saying that individuals should be able to get health insurance policies that would not be at risk due to losing your job, and that would be price-competitive with what people currently can get with employer-based plans. What's wrong with that?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I'm not reading their reactions the way the OP is. Not that I like a lot of the GOP positions, but in this instance they are advocating for health insurance that is tied to the person, not to the employer. Currently, individual policies are much more costly than employer group policies due to economies of scale and the fact that insurers want to get large employer groups and often price competitively against each other. These candidates are saying that individuals should be able to get health insurance policies that would not be at risk due to losing your job, and that would be price-competitive with what people currently can get with employer-based plans. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that, most would welcome that if the premiums were kept affordable and noboby could be denied even if they have health issues.

As it stands right now the system says your life is important only if you have money, which is not a moral code of ethics, which translates into worship of money.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
She ever heard of COBRA? If she had insurance before....she should be able to keep insurance benefits during unemployment. That's the whole point. So what's the problem with this lady?

Sounds like another dumbass Obama supporter who doesn't give a flip about anything other than making sure she gets another handout.

FAQs For Employees About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-consumer-cobra.html - broken link)

COBRA Continuation Coverage Assistance Under The American Recovery And Reinvestment Act Of 2009 (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/cobra.html - broken link)

COBRA Health Insurance Continuation Premium Subsidy
COBRA is not affordable to most people.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with that. But the part that is conveniently left out is that in order for those pools to exist, liberals want everyone else to subsidize it through inevitably higher premiums. When Obamacare gets struck down by the US Supreme Court, i'd recommend liberals perform a Retrospective Regulatory Review on their own policies. Clearly, they just don't have a clue how to do anything within the Social Construct that is affordable, effective, or even constitutional.
Health Insurance has not been affordable in years.

What have the republicans done to help with that? Nothing. They were the ones that came up with Obamacare but didn't like it when he presented it. Why didn't they help come up with some plans to make it affordable?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Health Insurance has not been affordable in years.

What have the republicans done to help with that? Nothing. They were the ones that came up with Obamacare but didn't like it when he presented it. Why didn't they help come up with some plans to make it affordable?
I don't thnk anyone disagrees that there are problems in health insurance.

Republicans have offered ideas but the door was closed in their face in favor of this thing that had to be passed so we could see what was in it.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
there is an alternative

pay the doctor your self

why do we need some third party to pay our own bills???????
I am sure with that statement that you have never had anything that was expensive.

Tell me that after you have had to self pay for cancer or may be a nice little stay after a heart attack.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't thnk anyone disagrees that there are problems in health insurance.

Republicans have offered ideas but the door was closed in their face in favor of this thing that had to be passed so we could see what was in it.
Really?

Why haven't they did any thing long before we heard of Obama? Health insurance has been expensive for many years. None of the them wanted to touch it except for T Kennedy and he got nowhere.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
That's what I do currently... pay cash. And most of the doctors that I have seen know where to send me for inexpensive labs and urgent care. I've gone to the ER before and it's rediculous to pay the prices they charge for things... and I still didn't get the care I needed.

Here in VEgas there's even a surgeon that ONLY takes cash patients. You may have to wait a little longer to pay for a surgery but it's still available to you.
And if you need it immediately?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM

791 posts, read 460,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Prices are moot when you are denied insurance anyway. Call up insurance companies for a quote and tell them you have had a melanoma and see what they say....

They'll say come back in ten years if you are still melanoma free.
You should've bought insurance before the melanoma showed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections