Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Then what's the point of COBRA if no one can afford it? Are you saying that politicians have gotten it wrong once again?
COBRA works short term until you can make other arrangements--it was never intended for long term coverage because it is so expensive. The big question was IF you could make other arrangements (many had pre existing conditions and other carriers wouldn't pick them up until the health care reform act) and if you could find something you could afford. Unemployment is not a great time to have to start paying $500 - $1000 a month for health care coverage, which is what many people face if they have less than perfect health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
You should've bought insurance before the melanoma showed up.
This post shows a complete lack of understanding, and a complete lack of interest in understanding the problem. My daughter had melanoma. She had insurance at the time. She has to have continuously running insurance to be able to be insured for her melanoma by another insurer. If she has a lapse, she will have to take a "pre-existing condition" rider, or maybe not get insurance at all.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM

791 posts, read 461,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Really?

Why haven't they did any thing long before we heard of Obama? Health insurance has been expensive for many years. None of the them wanted to touch it except for T Kennedy and he got nowhere.
There are many things that could be done to lower the cost of insurance without forcing the taxpayer to subsidize it. We could let ins. companies compete with each other rather than having them sitting on their own little private monopolies. Let them sell across state lines. Who's stopping them? Congress...

Old 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM

791 posts, read 461,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This post shows a complete lack of understanding, and a complete lack of interest in understanding the problem. My daughter had melanoma. She had insurance at the time. She has to have continuously running insurance to be able to be insured for her melanoma by another insurer. If she has a lapse, she will have to take a "pre-existing condition" rider, or maybe not get insurance at all.
Your right, I have no desire to understand it. I have NO insurance. I can't afford it. I couldn't afford it before I got disabled, and I certainly can't afford it now. If I get sick, I guess I'll just die.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to whine about it and expect somebody else to pay for it. The fact is if government had kept their noses out of it to begin with we wouldn't be dealing with monopolistic insurance companies and we wouldn't see $7,000 a day hospital bills.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,623,334 times
Thumbs down huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
from a source of...thinkprogress...a commie rag
Which part is factually incorrect?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:55 PM

Thumbs down lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you do understand what insurance is

insurance is not care..never was

insurance is RISK ANALYSIS

your auto insurance will drop you like a smelly fish, if you have too many accidents or a dui

Your analysis is weak. Another insurer will pick you up. Even some States will insure you in a high risk pool.

They don't consider your DUI a pre-existing condition that triggers automatic rejection.

Health insurance is a necessity for many who require high cost care.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Prices are moot when you are denied insurance anyway. Call up insurance companies for a quote and tell them you have had a melanoma and see what they say....

They'll say come back in ten years if you are still melanoma free.

Hello?

It is illegal to deny someone insurance based on prior diagnosis of disease or disability.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Hello?

It is illegal to deny someone insurance based on prior diagnosis of disease or disability.

When did it become illegal?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,691,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Source

The Republican candidates pledged to undo these benefits and instead encouraged her to find coverage “as an individual” — on her own.
I wonder how scary high the cost of the insurance would be when it is just an individual looking for a policy?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wonder how scary high the cost of the insurance would be when it is just an individual looking for a policy?

I wonder how scary low it would be if it were an individual in a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections