Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,017,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
My last Hospital stay was $7,000 a day with no surgery
In March 2011 I was in the hospital for 3 nights and 4 days. The total bill was $40,000 and there was no surgery involved (but lots of tests ... you see I passed out at work and an ambulance was called). I had insurance - Blue Cross/Blue Shield which paid about 90% of the bills; unfortunately with the co-pays and things not covered I still owed about $4,000 out of my own pocket. You can work out a plan with the hospital, however, like paying back over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,960,075 times
I very much believe in taking care of people. I believe in community models. The problem w/ the Big Corp and Big Gov is they don't care about you as a person. The only reason they get in it at all is for their own self-serving interest.

Community models work to serve the people that actually contribute to it. The feds track record is bad for managing. The current big bus+big gov is why people can't afford insurance in the first place.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,246,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Ah, but did she eat anything besides bread and water? Because if she did, then she's clearly too extravagant and foolish with her money and should just go without insurance.

Well, I think she once went out to eat at a diner! Does that disqualify her?

And the average right wing response would be "Not my problem. You should have become a millionaire business owner/job creator" Hopefully you're recovering well, by the way.
I'm doing great, thanks!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,793,723 times
I think that if people want live in a welfare state, then they should have the option to be on welfare, but in so doing they should also become wards of the state as stated above by Cavaturaccioli, no free rides. So that they have to work a mandated government Job at lowered controlled wages, live in government project housing, whatever the government wants them to do - and that also means mandatory operations and mandatory vaccinations and mandatory health check ups and mandated diets and mandatory drug testing, etc. ... Only if you accept no government aid should you be at liberty to do what ever you want so long as you do not hurt anyone.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-27-2012 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 AM

17,522 posts, read 24,786,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Your right, I have no desire to understand it. I have NO insurance. I can't afford it. I couldn't afford it before I got disabled, and I certainly can't afford it now. If I get sick, I guess I'll just die.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to whine about it and expect somebody else to pay for it. The fact is if government had kept their noses out of it to begin with we wouldn't be dealing with monopolistic insurance companies and we wouldn't see $7,000 a day hospital bills.
That's a wonderful sentiment but it is like complaining about the rain

Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,285,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
She ever heard of COBRA? If she had insurance before....she should be able to keep insurance benefits during unemployment. That's the whole point. So what's the problem with this lady?

Sounds like another dumbass Obama supporter who doesn't give a flip about anything other than making sure she gets another handout.

FAQs For Employees About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-consumer-cobra.html - broken link)

COBRA Continuation Coverage Assistance Under The American Recovery And Reinvestment Act Of 2009 (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/cobra.html - broken link)

COBRA Health Insurance Continuation Premium Subsidy
exactly what hubby and I said when we heard this: there is COBRA. Yes, it can be pricey, and no it isn't always the best alternative but it is out there. We have been there, we know!!! I can't understand why so many people think it is the governments responsibilty to take care of everyone.

Nita

Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,285,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Cobra is not affordable for most people, especially when you just lost your job.
I do agree it is costly, we were faced with this several years ago, but it is an alternative. i guess I do look at insurance differently because I am old enough to remember when most people or certainly many did not have insurance. I remember when you depended on the county hopital if you couldn't afford a private doctor and when hospitals had wards not private rooms. No, I do not want to return to those days, but I think there is a happy medium.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,960,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That's a wonderful sentiment but it is like complaining about the rain
I do not understand your statement or apparent analogy, care to briefly elaborate?

Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 PM

13,639 posts, read 21,471,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
You should've bought insurance before the melanoma showed up.

I had insurance when my melanoma was taken care of, cut out gone goodbye no problem after. It is when I decided to move away from Miami a city I hated in the end and when I for the FIRST time in my life took a break from work and took a extended vacation before I got another job is when I shopped for insurance and realized what a crap situation this country is in because I couldn't get insurance with nobody. Once I got employed again yeah I got a group plan which every year costs more and offers less.

Some say, let them compete. I can call up ten insurance companies and ALL will say no thanks because of a past melanoma. There ARE different companies out there competing even with current laws, it is just that ALL refuse people like me. So opening up across state lines will do what?, it will increase the amount of companies who say no thanks to insuring me. The only way that will stop is to either ban companies from dismissing people or provide a alternative source for health coverage for those deemed risky.

So please give it up to those saying about "government isn't suppose to support you". No one is asking for free insurance, we are asking for insurance that we pay for that isn't going to make us live to pay for insurance and to be able to have coverage.

It's the same gawd damn thing in my state of Florida with house insurance. You can hardly get insurance from a private company because they don't want to insure here just because they had to pay out after a couple bad years with hurricanes so for most people the ONLY insurance we can get is through the state of Florida insurance pool and we pay for it , it ISN'T FRICKIN FREE and most don't expect to have some kind of welfare for it.

A little about myself. I have held a job my whole life except for six months in 2007 when I actually took a break. I have never taken welfare, I make my own way in life and pay my bills before I splurge on anything else. I have never voted democrat and probably never will. I was a devote republican who sounded like some here with sound bites like " be responsible", "isn't governments concern", " the constitution" and blah blah blah....but have since parted ways from being a blindly loyal republican because sometimes I learned they are full of.......

But it isn't all black and white, there shades of grey, and clinging to one side of the isle and being absolute partisan with blinders on all the time isn't always living in principle, it is sometimes being short sighted. Experience enough situations in life and you may realize that everything doesn't always fit into a neat little package of you partisan view.

And that is why, while I usually agree that smaller government is usually better and free markets work, and that less taxes are better when it comes to some things like health care having a alternative source for those in need isn't a bad thing and I don't mind some taxes taken from me and taken from you too for that.

I know money is important and people should be paid for what they acheive, and you should take care of yourself as best you can as a individual, but some things are better solved by coming together. It doesn't say a lot for the moral standards of a country that supposedly is a good hearted country that champions life when it comes to saving life those with money get saved and those without or without ENOUGH money are left to suffer or die. In most instances people don't need YOUR help with life threatening situations but in cases where they do need your help if you don't want to come to together to look out for each other by contributing to make it happen then we are not a country that champions or respects life. And if we don't respect life , then why would we even be concerned about democracy for others or saving others from tyrants? If we don't respect life I hope I never hear another excuse about how we are so great because we freed a people or got rid of a bad man in the world.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:42 PM

791 posts, read 463,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

I had insurance when my melanoma was taken care of, cut out gone goodbye no problem after. It is when I decided to move away from Miami a city I hated in the end and when I for the FIRST time in my life took a break from work and took a extended vacation before I got another job is when I shopped for insurance and realized what a crap situation this country is in because I couldn't get insurance with nobody. Once I got employed again yeah I got a group plan which every year costs more and offers less.

Some say, let them compete. I can call up ten insurance companies and ALL will say no thanks because of a past melanoma. There ARE different companies out there competing even with current laws, it is just that ALL refuse people like me. So opening up across state lines will do what?, it will increase the amount of companies who say no thanks to insuring me. The only way that will stop is to either ban companies from dismissing people or provide a alternative source for health coverage for those deemed risky.

So please give it up to those saying about "government isn't suppose to support you". No one is asking for free insurance, we are asking for insurance that we pay for that isn't going to make us live to pay for insurance and to be able to have coverage.

It's the same gawd damn thing in my state of Florida with house insurance. You can hardly get insurance from a private company because they don't want to insure here just because they had to pay out after a couple bad years with hurricanes so for most people the ONLY insurance we can get is through the state of Florida and we pay for it , it ISN'T FRICKIN FREE and most don't expect to have some kind of welfare for it.

A little about myself. I have held a job my whole life except for six months in 2007 when I actually took a break. I have never taken welfare, I make my own way in life and pay my bills before I splurge on anything else. I have never voted democrat and probably never will. I was a devote republican who sounded like some here with sound bites like " be responsible", "isn't governments concern", " the constitution" and blah blah blah....

But it isn't all black and white, there shades of grey, and clinging to one side of the isle and being absolute partisan with blinders on all the time isn't always living in principle, it is sometimes being short sighted. Experience enough situations in life and you may realize that everything thing doesn't always fit into a neat little package of you partisan view.

And that is why, while I usually agree that smaller government is usually better and free markets work, and that less taxes are better when it comes to some things like health care having a alternative source for those in need isn't a bad thing and I don't mind some taxes taken from me for that.

I know money is important and people should be paid for what they acheive, and you should take care of yourself as best you can as a individual, but some things are better solved by coming together. It doesn't say a lot for the moral standards of a country that supposedly is a good hearted country that champions life when it comes to saving life those with money get saved and those without or without ENOUGH money are left to suffer or die. In most instances people don't need YOUR help with life threatening situations but in cases where they do need your help if you don't want to come to together to look out for each other by contributing to make it happen then we are not a country that champions or respects life. And if we don't respect life , then why would we even be concerned about democracy for others or saving others from tyrants? If we don't respect life I hope I never hear another excuse about how we are so great because we freed a people or got rid of a bad man in the world.
Fair enough, I certainly am sympathetic to your situation. My situation is kind of similar in that I had insurance through my employment, was hurt on the job and disabled, lost my insurance and now can't get any. It seems that during diagnosis of my neck injury the MRI boys found a tumor on one of my vocal cords. I can't even afford to go to an oncologist to find out how serious it is, let alone pay for the treatment.
I figure I'll live until I die, and the Devil take the hindmost. Ya gotta play the hand you're dealt, even if it's a 7-2 offsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections