Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,407,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Zona Stona View Post
Fair enough, I certainly am sympathetic to your situation. My situation is kind of similar in that I had insurance through my employment, was hurt on the job and disabled, lost my insurance and now can't get any. It seems that during diagnosis of my neck injury the MRI boys found a tumor on one of my vocal cords. I can't even afford to go to an oncologist to find out how serious it is, let alone pay for the treatment.
I figure I'll live until I die, and the Devil take the hindmost. Ya gotta play the hand you're dealt, even if it's a 7-2 offsuit.
I would be happy to know that my taxes are going to help someone like you in your situation (which for all I know could be my situation some day) so a fellow American has a alternative to look to for care when conventional avenues have been exhausted.

We can be a nation who champions individual liberty, free enterprise and government kept in check but we can also be a nation who pulls together and looks out for each other when real need arises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,768,660 times
Quote:
Fair enough, I certainly am sympathetic to your situation. My situation is kind of similar in that I had insurance through my employment, was hurt on the job and disabled, lost my insurance and now can't get any. It seems that during diagnosis of my neck injury the MRI boys found a tumor on one of my vocal cords. I can't even afford to go to an oncologist to find out how serious it is, let alone pay for the treatment.
I figure I'll live until I die, and the Devil take the hindmost. Ya gotta play the hand you're dealt, even if it's a 7-2 offsuit.

I believe to a large extent in mind over matter, and i believe that often doctors prognosis cause people to give up home, and that lends in a large part to their losing the battle against whatever ails them. Of course there are always things you cant cure, and we all eventually die, but i have always practiced alternative medicine ... And i pretty much work through any sickness i have by myself and only go to the hospital when i cant get a fever to go down, and that has only happened once.

I have been to the hospital for broken bones as well, but only when the limb was deformed by the fracture and had to be set through surgery. Other times i set the bones myself and bound them up and they healed over time, not necessarily as good as new but i get by, and am still in relatively good health. When i need a dentist i wait until i have saved enough and tough it out until then, or work on myself ...

I have always been a hand to mouth kinda guy, even when i do well for myself. I never understood living in dependency on the system, and never had any real savings to speak of - i pretty much take it day by day and have all of my life. I have relied in large part on the grace of God, and to some extent on the charity of individuals, and so far it has worked out. The thing is i'm not afraid of death - everybody dies, but few people ever truly live ...

I pray for your health friend ... and exhort you to keep the faith - take that however you will.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:30 PM

791 posts, read 461,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I believe to a large extent in mind over matter, and i believe that often doctors prognosis cause people to give up home, and that lends in a large part to their losing the battle against whatever ails them. Of course there are always things you cant cure, and we all eventually die, but i have always practiced alternative medicine ... And i pretty much work through any sickness i have by myself and only go to the hospital when i cant get a fever to go down, and that has only happened once.

I have been to the hospital for broken bones as well, but only when the limb was deformed by the fracture and had to be set through surgery. Other times i set the bones myself and bound them up and they healed over time, not necessarily as good as new but i get by, and am still in relatively good health. When i need a dentist i wait until i have saved enough and tough it out until then, or work on myself ...

I have always been a hand to mouth kinda guy, even when i do well for myself. I never understood living in dependency on the system, and never had any real savings to speak of - i pretty much take it day by day and have all of my life. I have relied in large part on the grace of God, and to some extent on the charity of individuals, and so far it has worked out. The thing is i'm not afraid of death - everybody dies, but few people ever truly live ...

I pray for your health friend ... and exhort you to keep the faith - take that however you will.
It's God's world, Bro! It's not my job to comprehend, it's just my job to cooperate!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,940,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

I had insurance when my melanoma was taken care of, cut out gone goodbye no problem after. It is when I decided to move away from Miami a city I hated in the end and when I for the FIRST time in my life took a break from work and took a extended vacation before I got another job is when I shopped for insurance and realized what a crap situation this country is in because I couldn't get insurance with nobody. Once I got employed again yeah I got a group plan which every year costs more and offers less.

Some say, let them compete. I can call up ten insurance companies and ALL will say no thanks because of a past melanoma. There ARE different companies out there competing even with current laws, it is just that ALL refuse people like me. So opening up across state lines will do what?, it will increase the amount of companies who say no thanks to insuring me. The only way that will stop is to either ban companies from dismissing people or provide a alternative source for health coverage for those deemed risky.

So please give it up to those saying about "government isn't suppose to support you". No one is asking for free insurance, we are asking for insurance that we pay for that isn't going to make us live to pay for insurance and to be able to have coverage.

It's the same gawd damn thing in my state of Florida with house insurance. You can hardly get insurance from a private company because they don't want to insure here just because they had to pay out after a couple bad years with hurricanes so for most people the ONLY insurance we can get is through the state of Florida insurance pool and we pay for it , it ISN'T FRICKIN FREE and most don't expect to have some kind of welfare for it.

A little about myself. I have held a job my whole life except for six months in 2007 when I actually took a break. I have never taken welfare, I make my own way in life and pay my bills before I splurge on anything else. I have never voted democrat and probably never will. I was a devote republican who sounded like some here with sound bites like " be responsible", "isn't governments concern", " the constitution" and blah blah blah....but have since parted ways from being a blindly loyal republican because sometimes I learned they are full of.......

But it isn't all black and white, there shades of grey, and clinging to one side of the isle and being absolute partisan with blinders on all the time isn't always living in principle, it is sometimes being short sighted. Experience enough situations in life and you may realize that everything doesn't always fit into a neat little package of you partisan view.

And that is why, while I usually agree that smaller government is usually better and free markets work, and that less taxes are better when it comes to some things like health care having a alternative source for those in need isn't a bad thing and I don't mind some taxes taken from me and taken from you too for that.

I know money is important and people should be paid for what they acheive, and you should take care of yourself as best you can as a individual, but some things are better solved by coming together. It doesn't say a lot for the moral standards of a country that supposedly is a good hearted country that champions life when it comes to saving life those with money get saved and those without or without ENOUGH money are left to suffer or die. In most instances people don't need YOUR help with life threatening situations but in cases where they do need your help if you don't want to come to together to look out for each other by contributing to make it happen then we are not a country that champions or respects life. And if we don't respect life , then why would we even be concerned about democracy for others or saving others from tyrants? If we don't respect life I hope I never hear another excuse about how we are so great because we freed a people or got rid of a bad man in the world.
You make very good points. FL is an excellent example of out of control insurance. However, I don't agree w/ the govt running it because they are part of the problem. This is poor management aside. They are every bit as invested in big corporate money makers. Not just talking about the licensing, fees, slush funds, lobbying etc... FL has better CAFR documentation than many so you can get a better idea of how they are making their money. (certain funds require separate request of details)

The "govt" is one of the biggest investors in Wall Street. You always hear about the budget, budget, budget, but nothing about the actual Annual Financial Reports. No discussion about corporate governance. They make a lot of money through all those investment funds. (FEMA is starting to eat people alive as well.)

So when you hear guys like this, talking to Bill Moyer. It also applies to your govt.

#OWS Bill Moyers "Crony Capitalism" David Stockman Pt. 2 - YouTube

Old 01-29-2012, 05:14 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,611,395 times
Default lol...

Quote:
Now you're starting to get the idea... That's not the government's job, either.

Re-read the Constitution. Then the Amendments.

Quote:
Definition of LAW

a (1) : a binding custom or practice of a community : a rule of conduct or action prescribed or formally recognized as binding or enforced by a controlling authority (2) : the whole body of such customs, practices, or rules (3)

Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,985,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Source

Interesting. The voters may not react well to a message of you're on your own...
Like it or not it's the cold hard truth. The problem that I have the welfare state is that it goes from being a benefit to an entitlement. That lady asking the question was pretty much looking for someone who would tell her "it's okay, you don't need to take any responsibility for your own life, the state will become your guardian and take care of you." Big government encourages laziness amongst a people and allows people to relinquish control and responsibility for their lives and destinies.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,351,378 times
Question Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Then what's the point of COBRA if no one can afford it? Are you saying that politicians have gotten it wrong once again?
Had our opportunity to use our COBRA. It would have cost us $1500 and this was in 1997. Blah Blah Blah

We also used COBRA for one of our kids when attending college after age 24, not recalling exact amount but paid an awful lot think approx. 250/month in 2000.

Too expensive. You are one paycheck short, you use COBRA and pay for it how?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,773,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Source

Interesting. The voters may not react well to a message of you're on your own...

Yeah, I saw that. I also saw her applaud after the answers she got.

Like they say in the south... "bless her heart".

Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,940,422 times
I have to say I didn't read it the way the thread is titled. I heard them giving options and RP more on causes. Govt wasn't the answer I am afraid. It certainly is a huge part of the problem.

I went and looked because it had been awhile, but excerpted this from FL CAFR Summary for 2010. This is just for the state. Individual localities would have their own. Also, as I mentioned for certain funds you have to request reports on those separately.

The assets of the state exceeded its liabilities (net assets) at the close of the fiscal year by $49.3 billion for governmental activities and by $8.7 billion for business-type activities, for a combined total of $58 billion for the primary government.

Last edited by CDusr; 01-29-2012 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Really?

Why haven't they did any thing long before we heard of Obama? Health insurance has been expensive for many years. None of the them wanted to touch it except for T Kennedy and he got nowhere.
There's the fact that they did nothing, and also of course the fact that the original statement isn't true. The (false) claim that the GOP was locked out appears to have started as a Fox News lie.

We're supposed to believe that somehow the GOP was locked out of the debate, despite participating in over a 100 bipartisan meetings and hearings, and despite having 161 GOP amendments in the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections