Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times

Advertisements

I am fed up w/ both Republicans & Democrats. Can't stand how both parties cater to the Ultra rich, & neither does a thing about illegal immigration & how much it's costing us, the environment, moving forward w/ scientific studies to create new environmentally friendly energy,cures for diseases, & JOBS. We blow all our money on WAR, while our own people suffer. Is there even HOPE to get someone in the WH that actually CARES about this country, its people and the environment? It's all about MONEY in this country now. Doesn't seem like things will get any better, as greed is highly contagious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times
I would love love love to see The Libertarian Party get large enough to be a major candidate.
The only problem I see with that is....

Look at the petty fights between Ds and Rs over this budget crap! Mix a large amount of Ls in there too and it would have been nuts...lol

We truly do need to try a Libertarian government. Both ways are currently not working, so, why not try something new?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Too many idiots on both sides vote straight party ticket. Thats why there will never be a third party President.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I am fed up w/ both Republicans & Democrats. Can't stand how both parties cater to the Ultra rich, & neither does a thing about illegal immigration & how much it's costing us, the environment, moving forward w/ scientific studies to create new environmentally friendly energy,cures for diseases, & JOBS. We blow all our money on WAR, while our own people suffer. Is there even HOPE to get someone in the WH that actually CARES about this country, its people and the environment? It's all about MONEY in this country now. Doesn't seem like things will get any better, as greed is highly contagious.
Since 1914 it has been ALL ABOUT MONEY in this country. It has just gotten worse and been magnified by the fact that now besides outright STEALING from us with all these bailouts and quantitative easing they have TAKEN OUR LIBERTIES with that EVIL so called "Patriot Act".

If you care you better start to do something about it. I've been emailing my representatives in Congress and giving them a piece of my mind along with solutions of course.

Today I suggested my Congressman sponsor a bill to Re-enstate the Glass-Steagall Act that USED to PREVENT Bankers from doing ANYTHING but what bankers are supposed to do. It also prevented banks from take-overs of other banks.

Under Clinton (I believe) this GOOD law was repealed and what followed were all the Ponzi schemes the Banksters created such as mortgage backed securities and consolidated debt obligations that didn't hae a prayer of paying off.

As you'll recall, the Federal Reserve, namely Hank Paulson had you and I pay for the banksters mistakes when the scheme didn't work out through TARP that Congress STUPIDLY went along with.... and then after that they continued to side with the banksters allowing Quantitative Easing and all the secret bailouts.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Third party candidates will do nothing but split the vote -- the most recent being Ross Perot. His running for president allowed Clinton to win with less than 50%.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 AM

865 posts, read 676,118 times
Ross Perot wasn't on a third party platform, and he initially ran as an independent. An established third party could win, however, currently, you would need some extreme funding to break through the system, which puts anyone at an unfair advantage, immediately.

Recently, third parties have been focusing perennial candidates to get the message out, and they haven't tried to win much. You don't have much luck with establishing a party, by not building up your seats in state and federal elected offices. One step at a time.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I hear ya! Been disillusioned by both Democrat and Republicans parties for quite some time now, and I'm sick to death of trying to decide which one is the least of two evils on any given election. Why do we have to choose between evil and more evil?

One thing that can be done on the local level is to push HARD to get automatic run-offs instituted, starting at the local level and working up from there.

Right leaning independents who voted for Ross Perot in 1992 are blamed for putting Clinton in office. Clearly Clinton never would have won the election without Perot in the running and drawing more right leaning than left leaning votes. Left leaning independents who voted for Ralph Nader in 2000 also felt the same sting. Al Gore was so close to winning and if they had just voted for Gore instead of Nader, then George W would have never been President. In both cases, the winner did not gain a majority of the American vote.

On the local level, if the Republican candidate gets 35% of the vote, the Democrat gets 36% of the vote and a right-leaning third party candidate gets the remaining 19% of the vote (with most of his votes coming from Conservatives.) In far too many cases, the Democrat would be declared the winner and the 19% who voted for the third party candidate would be ridiculed for their choice. But with an automatic run-off, you toss out the third party candidate (or whoever was not 1st or 2nd in votes) and call for a re-vote with only two choices -- whichever were first and second in votes received. End result: The voice of the majority is heard and the Republican probably wins. More importantly, the 19% who voted for a third party don't have to worry about handing victory to the party they dislike most. With that realization, many other people would realize that they can actually vote for any third party candidate they like without fear of being punished by the outcome of the election. Nobody can win an election without a majority vote, plain and simple.

The more this can be implemented the more it empowers Americans to vote their true conscience rather than voting for "the lesser of two evils." There are loads of other political parties around and automatic run-offs is the best formula for empowering them.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 08-02-2011 at 01:23 AM..

Old 08-02-2011, 04:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Too many idiots on both sides vote straight party ticket. Thats why there will never be a third party President.
that is exactly why there could be a 3rd party candidate win. the party entrenched are always going to vote their party, but the entire mid-range is up for grabs and people are more AWARE than ever before in our history.

after this sad little debt ceiling raising episode (more proof of political capture) i think a 3rd party now has an even better chance of winning. if ron paul did not get the republican nomination, i would suggest that he runs for president as a 3rd party candidate and announce running with someone like brooksley born as the VP choice.

or even have his son run (if people think he is too old, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree) with brooksley or other choice.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Third party not necessary

We just need to REPLACE the GOP with a party that doesn't promote bigotry, racism, and divisiveness. This country does not benefit from their influence.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If the 3rd party doesnt work out should we then move to a 4th or a 5th party? all the time watering down the vote..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections