Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,535,825 times

Advertisements

Stupid comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,086,625 times
Why are people trippin about this comment. Did he say anything we didn't know already. He is a republican, you actually expected him to care about the poor?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,430,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Being Poor is not that bad. Consider the facts below between the poor and the middle or working class.

By being "poor" you will get:
Pay no tax (the benefit is you will never get the taxman to harass you)
Free money from Earned income credit (you work just enough to be call "poor" or get pay under the table)
Free or very low cost housing
Free Medical & Dental ($0 out of pocket)
Free food (food stamp)
Free cell phone
Best of all: You retire early

By being "middle" class or the working class:
You pay tax 1/2 to 60% go to tax man
You every market price for housing
You pay for your own medical/dental. (I'm paying 500/mo for my family thought my company and there are copay)
You pay for your own food
You pay for your own cell phone
You work until you die
If you think being poor is so great why don't you become poor. Its really not that hard.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM

6,181 posts, read 7,299,574 times
Regardless whether or not it was taken out of context. Comments like these will come back to haunt him in the general election. He is already seen as a wealthy elitist, which is what hurt John Kerry in 2004. Those comments will only back up what most people believe about him. Get ready to see this statement in political ads.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:01 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,210,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Being Poor is not that bad. Consider the facts below between the poor and the middle or working class.

By being "poor" you will get:
Pay no tax (the benefit is you will never get the taxman to harass you)
Free money from Earned income credit (you work just enough to be call "poor" or get pay under the table)
Free or very low cost housing
Free Medical & Dental ($0 out of pocket)
Free food (food stamp)
Free cell phone
Best of all: You retire early

By being "middle" class or the working class:
You pay tax 1/2 to 60% go to tax man
You every market price for housing
You pay for your own medical/dental. (I'm paying 500/mo for my family thought my company and there are copay)
You pay for your own food
You pay for your own cell phone
You work until you die

Which was sort of his point. There are safety nets in place for the very poor that the working poor or middle class who have suddenly lost their income do not have access to. That is the hardest hit segment of the population in this economy.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM

25,867 posts, read 20,807,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
OK - it's one thing to say you don't like someone and disagree with their ideas, but lying is a different matter entirely.

Your hatred of Mitt Romney is pathetic.

He did NOT inherit his money from daddy.
While he did inherit some money from his father, more importantly he inherited his name and the doors that it opened for him.
That was pretty much...priceless.

Anyway, back to the OP: I agree with what he said - the very poor do have safety nets that the not so poor and the middle class do not. He definitely could have phrased it better, but, from a purely logical standpoint, I understand exactly what he was saying.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,917,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
So, nowhere in that article does it say "Romney doesn't care about the 'very poor.'"

Are liberals incapable of telling the truth about anything?
You are absolutely correct. He said "I'm not concerned about the very poor.". But, to his credit, he did say there was a safety net for them. Of course it may have a few holes in it. One thing I see a bit disturbing, is when he refers to Retirees living on Soc Sec as Middle Income. Errr?? But then I remember all those thousands and thousand of store clerks and stock boys at Staples that are earning "Middle Income" wages, and I understand what Romney really is.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM

16,785 posts, read 8,281,938 times
I believe he said Let them eat Cake.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM

17,415 posts, read 12,044,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Why are people trippin about this comment. Did he say anything we didn't know already. He is a republican, you actually expected him to care about the poor?
He cares enough about the poor to donate millions to charity.

Please show me where Obama cares at all about the poor. Not just sound bites, spoken off his teleprompter. True caring. Bet you can't come up with anything.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,353,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
This, morning... on the "Today Show" yet! Nice victory lap, Mitt!

I hope he keeps those tassled Manolos clean, cuz they sure spend a lot of time in his mouth :

Romney, citing safety net, says he’s ‘not concerned about the very poor’ - The Washington Post
LOL!

Oh boy, for an inevitable nominee, Mitt Romney is sure shaping up to be an inevitably easy target for the DNC super PAC attack ads come October of this year. First the non-rich were 'envious'. Then he wouldn't release his tax returns. Then we found out why he was hiding his tax returns. And now he's not concerned with the poor. Not exactly the thing you want to say at a time when millions of Americans have lost wages or nest eggs over the past five years.

But please, keep 'em coming, Mitt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections