Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,560,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Mitt will get somewhere around 60 million votes if he is the Republican nominee.
Not a single one of them will be food stamp recipients.

And you know this because you have facts to back that up? Oh no wait you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,827,868 times
The 1%'ers are really not concerned about the other 99%'ers. Don't believe me? Wanna bet $10k?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 AM

124 posts, read 175,186 times
After living in three different neighborhoods which are deemed low income (I was laid off), I've had it with the poor. Housing is overcrowded (but they have nice cars better than mine), 6 people to one bedroom, 10 to a two bedroom, hanging out, loud talking, cursing, they only come out at night, sitting around all day. They have a gang like mentality. I'm sorry but I've seen too much of this and not enough of that. The plight of the poor has made me numb. May be we need to take a different look as to why people are poor and what are THEY doing about it. I receive no assistance, found a job and barely making it. I'm talking about people of all races.

Last edited by lotsoflov1232; 02-03-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 01:22 PM

7,832 posts, read 11,854,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
In context, what he's saying makes sense. And he even said he would fix broken safety nets for the poor. But soundbites are fair game in politics. He's used them, Newt's used them, Obama's used them. I cringed when I saw that, I can't believe he would be so careless with his words.
A key aspect to saying things in public is choice of words and sensitivity to various groups. Mitt Romney as astronomically rich as he is can surely afford to hire a good adviser so he can be advised in this area.

Sentences that start with "I don't care..." or "I'm not concerned..." are extremely bad ideas if the target of that sentence is our country or it's people! Simple common sense.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,368,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My parents are dirt poor and it had NOTHING to do with how I turned out. I learned from their mistakes. You can develop good habits from seeing the consequences of bad ones.
Yes, but no all of the time. First it might help to be exposed to positive role models. It also helps that you are given a fair chance to succeed without bias

Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,961,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That statement was not twisted. It was a stupid statement. Conservative pundits have lambasted him for these comments, and rightfully so. In fact, if you listen to talk radio and read the right leaning publications, it is becoming more and more apparent that they believe Romney cannot beat OBama.

I'm keeping this as my slogan for Romney from now on: "Mitt: He ain't no lamp post".
conservative commentators are doing various things, i am sure. i know limbaugh bashed him for it, but then again rush wants newt to win because he is a social conservative, not a fiscal conservative.

i absolutely understand what mitt was saying-which is that the poor do have some sort of safety net- with food stamps, cash grants, free laptops, free meals and delivery, free bus transportation, free cell phones, housing grants/reduced price housing/mortgage payment reduction, electricity payments, etc.

the middle class is given none of those things, yet is still burdened with the higher inflationary costs-- with our government's out of control jackass printing /spending spree.

i have no doubt that obama can be beaten, simply because he said himself that if he didn't turn the economy around he didn't deserve a second term.

don't think for a minute that the middle class isn't getting squeezed very hard right now. i give mitt credit for at least seeing it, unlike some of the other candidates running. of course, as usual, i am going to say that ron paul sees what is happening the best of ANY of the candidates running, but is basically being ignored by the media altogether.

i also have to say that a couple of states have had very creative election results. i suggest people do their own research on that.

Last edited by floridasandy; 02-03-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,672,265 times
Singer, Actress Cher was active on Twitter early thing morn...and also weighed in on Romney's gaff...Someone asked Cher did she like Obama

cher Cher

Yes! Is he perfect.. No,but i Dont Want ANYONE who says He Doesnt Care About "The Very Poor" R RT @cher Do you like Obama?

11 hours ago FavoriteRetweetReply

Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,961,372 times
yes, i am sure that americans look to cher to help them select a candidate.

what i really suggest is that anyone who pays taxes (any worker--government worker/private sector worker, whatever) watch this video to see where your money goes.

THE VOTE PUMP - YouTube

you might be surprised by the numbers.

it is easier to digest when broken into a pie chart.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:23 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,031,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
He cares enough about the poor to donate millions to charity.

Please show me where Obama cares at all about the poor. Not just sound bites, spoken off his teleprompter. True caring. Bet you can't come up with anything.

Memory lapse: President Obama was a community organizer, pairing churches with those in need. And people actually made fun of that. People on the right, that is.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:33 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,293,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Memory lapse: President Obama was a community organizer, pairing churches with those in need.
And who's to say that the "millions" Mittens has donated to charity actually went to help poor people? If the majority of his charitable donations were made directly to the Mormon church, how do any of us know that money went to help people in need? Maybe most, if not all of it, went to build new temples (I think that's what they call their churches) or to buy more property for the Mormon church.

And besides, how hard is it for some uber-rich white dude to sit down and right a check? Something that can be written off and help keep his tax rate at less than 14%?

At least, President Obama actually got in there - and did the work to help people in need.
Quote:
And people actually made fun of that. People on the right, that is.
I've never understood how the right managed to turn being a community organizer into a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections