Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,032,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Shoot. The steam engine hasn't even warmed up yet. When it really gets the full head of steam, I honestly believe the turnaround will happen faster than any of us can predict.

The stock market is just hanging, waiting for a few solid positive signs. Manufacturers and industrialists are learning the value of hiring Americans, and Americans are hungry to buy American-made goods.

Making a product is always a 2-way street. Give an American worker a good job, train him how to do the job well, and he'll bust his butt for the boss. When the boss understands the value of keeping a community chugging along with high employment, he takes care of the people who make his goods.

It's a positive circle, and the only way out of the price only, race to the bottom that American industry has been trapped in for the past 20 years.

President Obama, as always, is ahead of the game. He has been in talks with major industries for over 2 months over this stuff, and is now pressuring the banks to give up the vain hope that they will recoup all the money they lost in the housing bubble.

The folks who are now struggling, trying to keep their homes and trying to go back to work, are going to be getting some relief and employment if Obama is re-elected.

If Romney gets the job, we are back to the start once more, without collecting that Get Out Of Jail card. More time wasted trying to get the same things done, more obstruction in Congress, more of the same old, same old. I think Americans know this.

We cant fill the hole we are in by only stopping the digging. Everyone knows that it's much harder to climb back out of a financial hole than it is to dig it.

Until I see some solid Republican rebuilding plans that make sense, I'm sticking with the guy I hired in '08.

And you won't be alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:48 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,359,752 times
The Republican candidates just don't have the intellect to defeat Obama.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,256,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
If that happens, then the GOP in Congress should be congratulated for a job well done... by being the obstructionists.

really?

the dems had both houses and potus for 2 years and did not do squat, so dont talk about being obstructionists. democrats did it to themselves, plus the fact that obama is still blaming gw for his own mistakes.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:50 PM

29,253 posts, read 22,560,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The problems with Obama's administration are not all in the economy...although much of it is. Falling unemployment while a good thing, is not the only answer. We still have horrible economic growth and it is projected to remain horrible, rising national debt, no progress on energy independence and all efforts being stifled, great uncertainty in the middle east, and an on going housing crisis that never shows any improvement. People know whether things are actually getting better for themselves and their friends and family. Citing a 2/10 of a point unemployment decrease while everything else is not improving won't be enough and and this is still a terrible unemployment number even if it is actual.
Hi, dixie...
Most of the problems plaguing us right now are due to the economy. No one in either party, and none of the economic experts expected the collapse of 2008 to be as wide, deep and pervasive as it turned out to be, and 2008 wasn't the first year of the downward slide- big numbers of workers lost their jobs in 2006 and 2007. 2007 in particular was a terrible year for job losses, and the housing bubble had burst by then.

It seemed that as soon as Obama was elected, everyone thought his administration would fix all this overnight.
We forgot just how long and hard the Great Depression was to turn around; it took my Grandfather's generation over 10 years to finally pull out of it, and would have taken even longer if not for the war's creation of more jobs than we had people to fill them for 4 years.

We also forgot that we slid back into a recession as soon as that war ended. Even our unique position as the only large industrial nation on the planet that came out of the war with all it's industry intact was not enough to prevent it.

The only reason the recession of 1949 didn't last longer was because of our huge world-wide advantage. A big economy like ours is like a locomotive; it takes a lot to get it going, but it will slow down to a crawl if the hill is high enough. And when it has a full head of steam, it's slow to stop on level ground.

Our locomotive did not just fail to get a head of steam after 2008. The enormity of our financial folly was so great that the boiler cracked.

But now, our locomotive is back in action again, and is just beginning to warm up the boiler once more. If this year is better than last, next year will be better than this. If we can recover our economy in less than 8 years, it will be a miracle, and an event that has never been done before.

We do have many other troubles and problems. Much of the world is now in great and shaky change, and we are withdrawing our troops out of the 2 wars we were in while trying to change our military to better suit the needs of our 21st century threats.

But the economy is by far the main thing most Americans are concerned about this election, and we have seen nothing but 3 years of Republican obstruction to all recovery plans with no serious proposals coming from them as alternatives.

We cannot simply quit paying the bills, and shrinking the size of the government in wholesale lots is not the answer. We need people going back to work. Workers and industries and small businesses all pay taxes, and taxes are the only way to dig our way out of the deficits.

For sure, there is a lot of bloat in the government. Much of it comes from duplication, and some of it comes from over-large agencies. But the fix won't come by slashing entire agencies; it will only come by careful precision cutting and by consolidating services to get rid of duplication.

Remember that both parties, both houses of Congress, and administrations led by Presidents of both parties created those administrations. They were created because they were needed. We, as individuals, can disagree about one or another agency's need now, but I don't think many of us know the full picture of what they all do and don't, and we all have axes to grind.

That's why we elect representatives. It's part of their job to understand our needs, and we expect them to become experts on the jobs that are handed to them.

So- are we willing to abandon the only team with experience in handling our problems right now or not? Many mistakes have been made, for sure, over the past 3 years, and there have been popular and unpopular steps taken to turn us around.
Are we willing to spend yet another year dickering back and forth while a team of rank beginners take over? They are going to need that long to get a full grip on our deep troubles at least. How much longer can we tolerate even more beginner's mistakes? How much more inadvertent damage would a totally different administration of rank beginners create?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,317,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
... because the hiring is ramping up while unemployment is falling.

My conservative friends, this is not good. We need to do better than simply being obstructionists. Let us brainstorm ideas to sabotage his chances by holding the economy hostage.

Any ideas?
Because gullible Americans are buying the MSM lie that the economy is improving. I'm here to tell you, other than the stock market, we are in no better shape now than we were in March 2009.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,417,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
We still have horrible economic growth and it is projected to remain horrible
Cite examples of this horrible economic growth and who exactly is projecting it to remain horrible. Your opinion is the exact opposite of what economic indicators are showing and what most economists have projected at this point.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,417,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Because gullible Americans are buying the MSM lie that the economy is improving. I'm here to tell you, other than the stock market, we are in no better shape now than we were in March 2009.
Complete and utter lies from the king of doom and gloom.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 PM

674 posts, read 1,165,304 times
I don't care if the economy completely recovers or if it gets 10 times worse, Obama will win the election because Ron Paul supporters (I'm one of them) will not vote for either Obama or the GOP candidate. Our votes sabotage the GOP much more than we do Obama, but we don't really who cares wins if it's not Ron Paul because it simply won't matter.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,993,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If this goes the same way as your other predictions then we can look forward to a few boom years ahead

Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,993,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
No one can argue....

If the trend in the economy is positive from now up to Election Day, Obama will win. If the economy takes a turn for the worse, even if it doesn't plummet but numbers start weakening, then Obama loses. It's really that simple.
I broadly agree with this. Ultimately, it all comes down to two things. First, and most importantly, is the strength of the economy. Secondly, is the quality of the GOP challenger. Personally, I think Obama will win on both counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections