Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
'Swing voters' don't make up 50% of the electorate.While I agree that they aren't going to study 10 year projection cbo charts they mostly aren't going to pay much attention to 10 second news blips about gdp either.They are going to focus on how 'they see' things trending.No one I know 'feels' things are any better then last year or the year before.People are going to have to see their own lives improving before they are going to buy into the 'things are getting better' trend.When 1 in 5 people own a house worth less than what they owe on it and see the businesses they work for threatened with going under they aren't going to be in a rush to jump on the 'things are great' bandwagon.

How people in the 'swing states' perceive things will decide the election.No one in Nevada is going to care if things are great in NewYork if they still suck in Nevada.People often overestimate a presidents ability to affect a lot of economic factors too.Presidents always get blamed for things beyond their control......but often get undeserved credit when things are going good also.

The point was not that they woudl study the CBO projections, the point was what the projections predict and it is not all that inspiring or positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The point was not that they woudl study the CBO projections, the point was what the projections predict and it is not all that inspiring or positive.
I'm a big enough geek to know what you are talking about and agree with your point,for that matter the projections are downright depressing....I was just agreeing with the op that many voters won't pay attention to such things.I also noted they werent going to pay much attention to some of the 'indicators' he mentioned either.
I'm glad in some areas people can give anecdotal evidence that things 'feel like' they are getting better.It doesn't seem that way in my area in the circles I inhabit.In most states we can already predict which way they are going to vote,in the ones which can go either way how people 'feel' about the economy will likely determine the outcome whether their feelings are based in reality or not.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,319,897 times
Oh yea great recovery.

35 months above 8.0 unemployment

Record people on welfare.

Record people filing foreclosures

Record people filing bankruptcy

Record people falling below poverty level meaning Obamas newly created jobs are all low paying under poverty jobs.

Like Mitt said, 5 million lost jobs minus 2.5 million low paying jobs Obama is bragging about is still NET -2.5 million jobs lost under Obama which is not acceptable when someone stole 8 billion dollars to fix something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections