Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Pew Poll, BEFORE obama's latest WAR on Religion, the decision to FORCE religious organizations to provide and pay for BC, contraception that their religion rejects. This latest power grab by obama will not work and is SURE to set Christians even more against him.

You would have thought he learned something from the latest SCOTUS ruling about the federal government dictating their secular beliefs onto religious org.

Trends in Party Identification of Religious Groups - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Quote:
A 12-point Democratic advantage in 2008 has shrunk to just five points heading into the 2012 presidential election year. This marks a continuation of a trend first observed in 2010, when 43% of the electorate supported or leaned toward the GOP while 47% favored the Democratic Party.
Just think about that. The dem adv is virtually the same as we saw from 2010...and we know what happened there, right?

Quote:
Republican gains are also apparent among white mainline Protestants (who were evenly divided between the parties in 2008 but who now favor the GOP by a 12-point margin) and white non-Hispanic Catholics (among whom an eight-point Democratic advantage in 2008 has become a seven-point Republican advantage at the end of 2011).
Dems have even lost 16 points with Jewish voters (they know an anti-Jew when they see and hear one).

Catholic Backlash Against Obama Grows - George E. Condon Jr. - NationalJournal.com

Quote:
The American Catholic backlash against the administration’s treatment of contraceptive services in the new health care law continues to grow, threatening President Obama’s support among a key group of swing voters that was critical to his victory in 2008.
Maybe he thinks he doesn't need these voters.....just like his campaign said he doesn't really need white voters?

Quote:
This narrow exception protects those who work directly for Catholic churches, but not the many Catholic universities, hospitals, or social-service agencies such as Catholic Charities.
But..he's obama, he gets to decide what constitutes religious exceptions.

Quote:
On Sunday, bishops in at least 125 of the 195 dioceses in the country had letters of protest read from the pulpit at all Masses.
This will be going to the courts very soon I predict.

I find it rather amusing that these people are finally coming to the realization that the man they trusted and voted for is really NOT a friend.

He just USED you, he DUPED you to get your vote...and you fell for it, like so many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
He hasn't declared war on anything.

Expecting public hospitals and schools to provide choices in insurance coverage is not a war on religion.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Default First They Came for the Catholics

Too much truth in this one about what HHS tried to do to Catholics last week for one to avoid reading.

If you read the link be sure to pick out one of my favorite students in high school in the early 1960s. That would be Bishop Thomas Olmsted and he shows up at the end of the article. The ACLU has gone after him for not allowing a hospital in Phoenix to operate just as the Obamacare law seems to think they should.

First, They Came for the Catholics - Michelle Malkin - Townhall Conservative

Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Too much truth in this one about what HHS tried to do to Catholics last week for one to avoid reading.

If you read the link be sure to pick out one of my favorite students in high school in the early 1960s. That would be Bishop Thomas Olmsted and he shows up at the end of the article. The ACLU has gone after him for not allowing a hospital in Phoenix to operate just as the Obamacare law seems to think they should.

First, They Came for the Catholics - Michelle Malkin - Townhall Conservative
No one is coming for the catholics.

But if the Catholic church wants to operate public institutions, then they have to follow public law.

Hey, I disagree with telling everyone they have to provide this, that or the other. I think that if a private business owner doesn't want to provide wheel chair access, then they shouldn't have to.

But the fact remains, most Americans disagree with my opinion, and they feel that if you operate a public facility, then you have to follow public law.

No one is forcing anyone to swallow a birth control pill, just that its offered.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He hasn't declared war on anything.

Expecting public hospitals and schools to provide choices in insurance coverage is not a war on religion.
CATHOLIC hospitals and schools. See, I know you agree with obama on just about everything, but HE doesn't get to dictate to religious entities......that happens to be in our founding documents, something obama and his supporters could care less about.

He just recently got smacked down by SCOTUS.....they will do the same here.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
CATHOLIC hospitals and schools. See, I know you agree with obama on just about everything, but HE doesn't get to dictate to religious entities......that happens to be in our founding documents, something obama and his supporters could care less about.

He just recently got smacked down by SCOTUS.....they will do the same here.
Even private schools have to conform to some public standards. Even private hospitals have to conform to public standards.

If you don't want private institutions to have to follow any federal standard, urge your elected representation to pass legislation on that.

But that isn't going to happen, and until it does, nothing is going to change.

BTW, those laws have been on the books for a lot longer then President Obama has been in office.

The healthcare law mandates that all employers provide healthcare with the OPTION of getting contraception.

No one is forcing anyone to take anything. And its hardly a religious war.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Wow, the persecution complex is strong in this OP.

It gives the option, it doesn't require you to come for dosing every set amount of time. Non-Catholic people work at Catholic workplaces, often their religion does not ban contraception so they should have the option. If people don't want contraception, then don't take it.

What happened...are Catholics not moral enough to choose to not do something, they must be mandated without the option?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

It gives the option, it doesn't require you to come for dosing every set amount of time. Non-Catholic people work at Catholic workplaces, often their religion does not ban contraception so they should have the option. If people don't want contraception, then don't take it.

What happened, are Catholics not moral enough to choose to not do something, they must be mandated without the option?
And this is a complicated matter. As you have said.

Should a private institution be forced to spend money on things that they don't want to spend money on? In this case the catholic church on insurance that provides a contraception option.

Or, should the federal government be allowed to mandate that every business in the country must provide services, regardless of their opposition to them?

Most Americans think that mandated handicapped parking, mandated handicapped bathrooms, and discrimination based on skin color should be mandated for every business in the country.

But you can't have it that way, and then say that the catholic churches public facilities should be exempt because of their religious views.

I think this is where the OP is confused.

I'm a conservative, to the point of being a libertarian on many issues. I personally don't feel that private business and private land owners should be mandated by the federal government to have to do something they don't want to do. After all, its their property.

But, as I said, most Americans disagree with my position. I try and reason with people, I vote to change the laws as I see fit.

But it is not a war on religion.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Non issue.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

What happened...are Catholics not moral enough to choose to not do something, they must be mandated without the option?

People have a right to work in their chosen field without being forced to violate their conscience. Sometimes we even allow people to opt out of military service if their religion frowns on war.

See how that works?

We actually give rights to minority groups.

...just not any minority groups liberals care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections