Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,323,986 times

Advertisements

WaPo/ABC ends sample transparency in national polling « Hot Air

They are no longer providing the distribution of Democrats/Indinendents/Republicans polled. In the past they have oversampled Democrats and when they included the party identification information they were criticized for the disproportionate sampling. I guess hiding the sampling data is easier than making an honest poll. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,203,616 times
Quinnipiac, Gallup, and Rasmussen. Those are the only polls that I give credence to. I have far too much skepticism towards media-driven polls considering the great lengths Big Media will go to protect Barack Obama.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,262,062 times
Today's Rasmussen (a Republitard pollster):

President Obama 49%
Flip-Flop Romney 42%

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 AM

79,238 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Never trust a poll that doesn't have transparent methodology.

As such, I trust Gallup and other major polling sources whom make their living by taking honest polls.

The media makes their money by attracting viewers and as such there is sometimes money to be made in pandering to certain segments of society.

Not to mention that newspapers over the past 20 years have slashed budgets and their quality especially with regards to technical topics is *pathetic*. They probably have some 19yo intern calling up their friends. (Only 1/2 joking)

Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,858,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Today's Rasmussen (a Republitard pollster):

President Obama 49%
Flip-Flop Romney 42%

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
This one is even better, on Obama V Santorum:

Gallup, Obama +8
NBC/WSJ, Obama +15
Rasmussen, Santorum +1

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Santorum vs. Obama

Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM

79,238 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post

Gallup, Obama +8
NBC/WSJ, Obama +15
Rasmussen, Santorum +1

I don't have a subscription to Rassmusen but MOST of the polls have Obama around +8 over Santorum. The NBC\WSJ and Rasmussen polls may just be due to sampling error.....again, that's why you need transparent methodology, sample size, error margin and so forth.

Even the Error margins like +/-7pts etc. are based upon statistical ASSUMPTIONS and are generally to some arbitrary 95% confidence interval.

So, for example the Rasmussen poll being 9pts *off* most of the others may just be random variation.

Journalists (and most political posters) should be kept away from statistics. Like giving a chimp a live grenade. Eventually they will understand it just enough to cause trouble.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,323,986 times
*****UPDATE*****

WaPo/ABC has finally released the sampling for their polls conducted over teh last couple of months. It is no winder they hid the sampling as long as they did.

Quote:
After hiding the partisan composition numbers for the last two months, today’s poll includes that data from the last three presidential polls. Let’s take a look at the D/R/I series, keeping in mind that the D/R/I from the 2010 midterm elections was 35/35/30:
________D/R/I
March: 31/27/36
February: 34/23/37
January: 32/25/36

The February poll from which the WaPo/ABC series derived its previous Obama approval numbers gave Democrats an 11-point edge and undersampled Republicans by 12 points in relation to their 2010 turnout. This survey has a difference of seven points in the gap.

WaPo/ABC poll shows Obama hammered by gas prices « Hot Air

Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,960,969 times
It's a long way to November

Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,960,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Never trust a poll that doesn't have transparent methodology.

As such, I trust Gallup and other major polling sources whom make their living by taking honest polls.

The media makes their money by attracting viewers and as such there is sometimes money to be made in pandering to certain segments of society.

Not to mention that newspapers over the past 20 years have slashed budgets and their quality especially with regards to technical topics is *pathetic*. They probably have some 19yo intern calling up their friends. (Only 1/2 joking)
Knowing how polls are done, having access to data, financial motivations and revolving door connections seems very important. "Trust" should vary in regard to these issues.

I would say this is very important. Glad to see someone else bring this up. Some people want to paint this as a "conspiracy" or dismiss it, when it is in fact, common sense.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM

26,740 posts, read 15,295,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post

Gallup, Obama +8
NBC/WSJ, Obama +15
Rasmussen, Santorum +1

Here is a quick lesson.

1) It is unfair of you to compare polls taken at different times. The public is very fickle and opinion sways back and forth. You didn't prove that Rasmussen is a poor poll by your 3 stats, you only proved that you do not understand polling. The dates really aren't close - I am surprised that you didn't notice this as you skipped through the polls jumping polls taken closer to the Rasmussen one. Were you being deceitful in doing that?

2) Also all polls have outliers from time to time. You could cherry pick these to prove any polling agency is bad under the sun. Sometimes Rasmussen gives the Democrats the biggest edge.

3) The NBC poll didn't report how many people they polled and that 15% should be taken thrown out in preference to polls that released their sampling size. (plus it was about 2 weeks before the Rasmussen that you compare it to).

4) Yes...Obama should beat Santorum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections