Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,147,268 times

Advertisements

Here is a snapshot of how Intrade sees Super Tuesday so far. I do find that Intrade is more reactive, but it can be surprisingly predictive.

INTRADE: How is Super Tuesday shaping up? (as of 02-29-12)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,241,508 times
I think the Ohio numbers should be reversed for Santorum and Romney. Santorum will do well in Ohio because of the social conservatives there.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,147,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I think the Ohio numbers should be reversed for Santorum and Romney. Santorum will do well in Ohio because of the social conservatives there.

Romney is now leading in some of the polling that will come out in the next day or so. It is close and people are forgetting that Santorum is not on the ballot in three congressional districts...one of them Columbus which will make a difference.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,185,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
As always it depends on how much Romney spends on tv ads. His weird reaction to screwing up the Blunt amendment question in an interview this morning won't help. Hopefully he'll limit his media appearances between now and Tuesday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/us...1&ref=politics

And it looks like he's outspending Santorum nearly 7:1 there, so there ya go.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
I am not sure how much I trust the braakdown, but time will certainly tell. I know Intrade is often correct, but not all the time. too many put too much faith in what they say or print.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,086,230 times
I would expect those predictions are fairly accurate. I think it's all about Ohio, Oklahoma and Tennessee (the first will decide whether or not this race is over for all intents and purposes, the latter two will decide whether Newt will once again take-up the anti-Romney mantle or if Santorum remains the only alternative). If Santorum wins Ohio, I think Romney could still be in the clear if Newt wins Oklahoma and Tennessee. I don't think he will win Tennesse though.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM

308 posts, read 516,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I would expect those predictions are fairly accurate. I think it's all about Ohio, Oklahoma and Tennessee (the first will decide whether or not this race is over for all intents and purposes, the latter two will decide whether Newt will once again take-up the anti-Romney mantle or if Santorum remains the only alternative). If Santorum wins Ohio, I think Romney could still be in the clear if Newt wins Oklahoma and Tennessee. I don't think he will win Tennesse though.
I think Newt has no shot at Oklahoma either. However, he has the 13th and should win Alabama and Mississippi.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I would expect those predictions are fairly accurate.
Intrade isn't really predicting anything; it's a snapshot of penny stock traders' net activity, which includes strategic shorts on events.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:23 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,086,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Intrade isn't really predicting anything; it's a snapshot of penny stock traders' net activity, which includes strategic shorts on events.
So, in short, it's the aggregate of everyone's predictions. I know it's not a poll.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So, in short, it's the aggregate of everyone's predictions. I know it's not a poll.
It's a little more complicated; a large chunk of intrade activity involves shorting or otherwise driving up and down trade prices to get a favorable sale. I did it last year with Rick Perry by hyping up his price during the Summer and dumping my shares before his first debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections