Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times

Advertisements

This is really not surprising to me. I have been trying to tell y'all that not all of the south is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Southerner View Post
I can hope that this poll is remotely accurate, but I would doubt it. TN is not quite as conservative as AL, yet you saw how large of a margin Santorum won by last night.

I'm not voting for someone to be my son's little league coach. I'm not voting for a buddy to hang out with on the weekends. I'm not voting for a man to be my pastor. I'm voting for the President of the United States, and I want someone who knows what the heck he's doing. Yes, I think Santorum is a standup good guy, sincere in what he believes, and a fine Christian family man. All good qualities. But if he were applying to be CEO of a company, his paper thin resume wouldn't make it past the first HR cut. People love to slam Obama for lack of experience, but how can they say that RS has any more experience than BO?

Romney is the only electable Republican against Obama. I just wish more of my fellow Southerners could see that.

Exactly and I agree 100%. I have been watching Alabama and the few polls out and Romney was actually leading there over a month ago also. I think he could have won TN if he had time to focus on it appear there a little more. The campaign had not thought they had much of chance in TN and really didn't work it until it was too late when they recognized they were competitive there. You make good points in your post and I do hope more southerners will see it this way.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,987,405 times
I'd expect NG and RS to be very close in Alabama, which means the sane few dozen percent which will back MR will mean very little pickup for either NG or RS. Given their present condition, small pickups means the game is over and they lost. They are so far behind, with such friendly turf for Romney left, that Hail Mary passes should be their game plan.

One wins less by how terrific they did with their base, but rather by how broad their appeal was, that in enemy states, they stayed far closer due to that base then their opponents did. NG and RS in their "enemy states", which means mainstream America, by and large, are pretty much non-existent. Being non-existent gives larger margins of victory to the one man who can win in such atmostpheres-Mitt Romney.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM

42 posts, read 25,452 times
Romney would be more intriguing to me if he was consistent with his positions.

I'm not going to call you Romney bots naive, I will just say you are too trusting of someone who's never proven he can be trusted.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,260,783 times
Romney has had an amazing organization in AL, though. I believe he has a lot of the top state officials 'endorsing' him. That said, I am not sure if he will win by 10 points. But if he wins period, it will be a huge blow to Gingrich and Santorum and essentially end the primary season.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM

97 posts, read 327,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Exactly and I agree 100%. I have been watching Alabama and the few polls out and Romney was actually leading there over a month ago also. I think he could have won TN if he had time to focus on it appear there a little more. The campaign had not thought they had much of chance in TN and really didn't work it until it was too late when they recognized they were competitive there. You make good points in your post and I do hope more southerners will see it this way.
Thanks! I do wish that more people would vote for a candidate based on his qualifications and credentials. Not because you like his or her hair. Not because he's the same denomination as you. Not because of gender. Not because of the color of one's skin. Vote for the candidate who can do the job competently. I don't care that Romney isn't a born-and-bred Southerner who drives a pickup truck, listens to Hank Jr., and eats everything fried. So what if he's a Yankee? Who cares if he's not like me? He's the most qualified.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,833,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Alabama Education Association I reckon this automatically makes the poll suspect.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,014,414 times
Quote:
The poll does not indicate who they were polling, their questions or the margin of error. 20% undecided?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 AM

26,542 posts, read 15,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I think you may be right. Romney can spend a lot of energy in Alabama. It is an open primary, which means we'll have Santorum get a nice little bounce from Democrats.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
look at where you are getting this info, Romney isn't going to win in Al by 10, it is doubtful he will win there period. He is doing very well, might even have the nomination sowed up before the convention and I am sure he is flying high, good for him, but there are some states it would almost impossible for him to win, the deep south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections