Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,004,843 times

Advertisements

I suspect people who would have voted for Jerry Falwell would vote for Santorum, but that clear move towards making religion a "subset of the state" turns off almost all voters outside of the Santorum camp itself.

This latest over the top move by RS regarding Puerto Rico demonstrates clearly he is unfit in a democratic society for its highest office. He is more fit to run a regime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,675,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
It's come to the point that if either Santorum or Gingrich want to be the nominee, one of them is going to have to drop out. In January after South Carolina, I could see how the argument could have been made that Santorum needed to drop out. But at this point, after Santorum has won so many states and delegates, it's become obvious that's he's the only one who can fight the numbers and get to 1144, or at least a brokered convention.

Anderson Cooper was tossing around some numbers tonight, nationally around 7 in 10 voters for Gingrich said Santorum was their second choice, it's obviously going to be higher in places like Alabama than in Illinois, for example.

So where do we go from here?

If Gingrich stays in, Santorum's sunk for good and the nomination goes to Romney. There's no possible way Gingrich could win, he would need almost 80% of the upcoming delegates, which isn't going to happen.

If Gingrich drops out and endorses Santorum, we could conceivably have a good fight going all the way to August— Santorum needs 65% of the upcoming delegates, which is difficult but certainly conceivable that he could bring it all the way to the convention. Seeing as how Romney needs 48% of the upcoming delegates, if Santorum gets little more than a majority, 53% of the upcoming delegates, this could go to the convention.

So it all comes down to Gingrich— Will his pride take himself down and Santorum along with him, or will he bow out and let Santorum have a chance at the nomination?
Why don't we just let everybody running make their own choices and stop trying to bully qualified people to get out of the race. The way it is looking now one would think that maybe Romney should be the one to get out if anybody does. What would be the problem if the choice ends up at the convention. If worse comes to worse we might could end up with Perry/Bachmann ticket. That would be an improvement over anything out there now. What needs to happen is for someone to realize that many of the people voting for a couple of the candidates will turncoat and vote for Obama in November. You might want to be thinking about who will really vote for the Republican candidate when November gets here. If Romney were the candidate he is not wanted by 70% of the people in Mississippi and Alabama and those states do not allow for crossover voting as some of the states that have Democrats voting for the candidate they think will be the easiest for Obama to beat.

A brokered convention with only Republicans deciding who will be the Republican candidate is a very good idea.

As for reservations about the candidates; I have reservations about all of them, but any of them would be better than what we have.

Last edited by NCN; 03-14-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 08:51 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,941,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Gingrich is a professional grifter. He is just waiting for someone to offer him something to entice him to quit. Something like a large cash contribution to his PAC, a lucrative lobbying position - sorry I meant to say historian position or a promise of a cabinet post.

Newt Gingirich is not the type of person that just does the right thing for free.
you got that right.

he is probably waiting for someone to flash some cash at him to drop out.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Why don't we just let everybody running make their own choices and stop trying to bully qualified people to get out of the race. The way it is looking now one would think that maybe Romney should be the one to get out if anybody does. What would be the problem if the choice ends up at the convention. If worse comes to worse we might could end up with Perry/Bachmann ticket. That would be an improvement over anything out there now. What needs to happen is for someone to realize that many of the people voting for a couple of the candidates will turncoat and vote for Obama in November. You might want to be thinking about who will really vote for the Republican candidate when November gets here. If Romney were the candidate he is not wanted by 70% of the people in Mississippi and Alabama and those states do not allow for crossover voting as some of the states that have Democrats voting for the candidate they think will be the easiest for Obama to beat.

A brokered convention with only Republicans deciding who will be the Republican candidate is a very good idea.

As for reservations about the candidates; I have reservations about all of them, but any of them would be better than what we have.
So you think the guy that has more delegates and more popular vote by a spread of +1,190,120? I don't get that line of thinking myself. The guy that's winning is not the one that ususally bows out.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Exactly. I've seen enough polls to back up both claims - that Gingrich voters would go to Romney and that Gingrich voters would go to Santorum. It really depends on the individual. I don't understand why people treat Santorum and Gingrich interchangeably. They're not at all the same. I would even say Romney and Gingrich are more alike than Gingrich and Santorum. And I know many people who say "Gingrich is my top choice, but I could deal with Romney" and I hear that much more than "Gingrich is my top choice, but I could deal with Santorum. Most Gingrich supporters probably have reservations about Romney, but I would wager on them having even more reservations about Santorum.

I think Gingrich voters are very different than Santorum voters also. They want a bully who will get in there and have a good ole throwdown with Obama. They are not super religious and can overlook Gingrich's past indiscretions. A large percentage of Santorum voters can't vote for Gingrich because of the morality issues. The two voting block might intersect at some point but they are not all that interchangeable. Even Gingrich said it himself, in states he basically didn't even compete in like Michigan and Ohio, it didn't help Santorum at all...he lost.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,004,843 times
I disagree with Newt's assessment that only he can debate Obama, but it does raise a parallel with Romney. It means, like Romney voters, Newt's appeal is largely intellectual. Santorum's appeal is emotional. Those two mindsets are parallel lines, which never cross.

IMO, Romney was going to win from day 1, but had RS dropped out earlier, Newt would have presented more of a challenge to Romney, than RS would if Newt dropped out earlier. RS, IMO, is a lot like Ross Perot, in that both had fairly low ceilings that never truly presented an opportunity to win (for more than a political nanosecond).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections