Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,094,557 times

Advertisements

Governor Blank praised the bill, which was enacted by the legislature late Wednesday, as key to maintaining the state's fiscal health.

"Without this critical reform, Blankers would have seen significant tax increases, as well as layoffs to teachers, firefighters, and police," (blank) said in a statement.

"Skyrocketing pension costs have caused fiscal crises in many cities and counties around Blank, cutting into local governments' ability to deliver core services," Blank said in a statement. "That's why mayors and county executives — from both parties, and from every region in the state — came together to support Governor Blank's plan."

I guess the bipartisanship effort to improve a state's financial future, by both parties gave this away. It ain't Wisconsin. Think there are public unions involved in this situation? Yep.

This just makes the Wisconsin situation appear all the more like a Democratic-union cabal, cheap shot political fight, not a crusade for worker's rights, or m i d d l e families, (whine, sniff, sniff).

Just could not risk a little melodramatic tone in the last couple of sentences. Now, really?

Try New York - Blue - State.
New York Cuts Pension Benefits for Public Workers - US Business News - CNBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,856,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Governor Blank praised the bill, which was enacted by the legislature late Wednesday, as key to maintaining the state's fiscal health.

"Without this critical reform, Blankers would have seen significant tax increases, as well as layoffs to teachers, firefighters, and police," (blank) said in a statement.

"Skyrocketing pension costs have caused fiscal crises in many cities and counties around Blank, cutting into local governments' ability to deliver core services," Blank said in a statement. "That's why mayors and county executives — from both parties, and from every region in the state — came together to support Governor Blank's plan."

I guess the bipartisanship effort to improve a state's financial future, by both parties gave this away. It ain't Wisconsin. Think there are public unions involved in this situation? Yep.

This just makes the Wisconsin situation appear all the more like a Democratic-union cabal, cheap shot political fight, not a crusade for worker's rights, or m i d d l e families, (whine, sniff, sniff).

Just could not risk a little melodramatic tone in the last couple of sentences. Now, really?

Try New York - Blue - State.
New York Cuts Pension Benefits for Public Workers - US Business News - CNBC
The teacher's in Wisconsin agreed 100% to the massive cuts to their pay and pensions as it was the right to do to help balance the budget. The outrage against Walker is because he is doing to bidding of his masters the Koch's to try and destroy them by taking away their collective bargaining rights.
The same hard right, middle class attacking legislation gained Ohio's new tea party governor one of the lowest approval ratings in the nation, not to mention was repealed by the people of Ohio by strong double digit numbers.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,878,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The teacher's in Wisconsin agreed 100% to the massive cuts to their pay and pensions as it was the right to do to help balance the budget.
I love it when people make **** up.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,233,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I love it when people make **** up.
The teachers absolutely agreed to make the cuts, and Walker gutted their collective bargaining rights anyway--he refused to even meet with them about it. Were you under a rock during that whole thing?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,251,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The teachers absolutely agreed to make the cuts, and Walker gutted their collective bargaining rights anyway--he refused to even meet with them about it. Were you under a rock during that whole thing?

public unions should not exist in the 1st place. they dont like it, then get into a private union and do work in the private sector.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 AM

26,726 posts, read 15,285,433 times
Quote:
The teacher's in Wisconsin agreed 100% to the massive cuts to their pay and pensions as it was the right to do to help balance the budget. The outrage against Walker is because he is doing to bidding of his masters the Koch's to try and destroy them by taking away their collective bargaining rights.
The same hard right, middle class attacking legislation gained Ohio's new tea party governor one of the lowest approval ratings in the nation, not to mention was repealed by the people of Ohio by strong double digit numbers.
The Union owns the health insurance provider. They use collective bargaining to create a monopoly for the health insurance provider that they own. This monopoly is then used to charge the local school district/government/tax payers for insurance that is 30% above fair market value. Is this fair?

Don't you find it odd that the Union was so very willing to tell the teachers to suck it up and take a hit, but they screamed over not giving up their monopoly cash cow? Is the Union really looking out for the teachers? Not really. The fact that they overcharge individual school districts Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars a year for health insurance means less teachers, less teacher pay, more laid off teachers, less technology in the classroom, less new textbooks, more pay to play sports, more leaky roofs....but more union money so you justify it as a liberal...congratulations your priority is unions over education and fiscal sanity.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 03-16-2012 at 04:21 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 AM

I would like a liberal to justify to me why a public union should be able to own a monopoly on providing health insurance at the local level, where they over charge schools above fair market prices.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,856,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The Union owns the health insurance provider. They use collective bargaining to create a monopoly for the health insurance provider that they own. This monopoly is then used to charge the local school district/government/tax payers for insurance that is 30% above fair market value. Is this fair?

Don't you find it odd that the Union was so very willing to tell the teachers to suck it up and take a hit, but they screamed over not giving up their monopoly cash cow? Is the Union really looking out for the teachers? Not really. The fact that they overcharge individual school districts Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars a year for health insurance means less teachers, less teacher pay, more laid off teachers, less technology in the classroom, less new textbooks, more pay to play sports, more leaky roofs....but more union money so you justify it as a liberal...congratulations your priority is unions over education and fiscal sanity.
You've got the right wing propaganda down pat, fox must be proud Otherwise the teachers union doesn't own some kind of monopoly that is charging taxpayers some exorbitant fees. They are not making 6 figure salaries right out of grad school or have rolls royce/Dick Cheney healthcare plans that will go as far as turning you into a robot to keep you alive. The teachers of Wisconsin make about 27k a year to start, after years of fighting and crawling their way up the ladder, they can make it to national average wages at best.
The teachers union's collective bargaining is their only say in negotiating the terms of their salaries and benefits. What walker and the other far right goons want to do is destroy them, force them into slave labor conditions for next to no pay or benefits, while giving their cronies dynamite government positions all paid for by the taxpayer (like Walker did giving one of his major campaign donor's sons a high paying taxpayer funded job he was nowhere near qualified for.)

Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,094,557 times
You know these are not far-right, looney-bin news sources I continue to stumble across. The one's that show lop-sided blue states, pure red states, and partisan effort states, all doing the same thing. Seriously reforming pension and health benefit programs. No, the sources are financial new sources like Bloomberg, CNBC, and more general news sources like Newsweek and CNN. Seems obvious to me the Wisconsin unions stand alone in their indignity.

It is about the math, not politics. Though, I know it serves the Democratic party and public union's interest to portray Walker and Republican's in general, as the boogie man in this. It makes for a nice diversion away from the real problem.

Let's keep the eye on the big picture; municipalities and states are completely unable to meet the promises that were made. The Federal government is not far behind. Postal Service, Medicare, failure to fully exploit our natural resources, the burden of our foreign mis-adventures.....

Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You've got the right wing propaganda down pat, fox must be proud Otherwise the teachers union doesn't own some kind of monopoly that is charging taxpayers some exorbitant fees. They are not making 6 figure salaries right out of grad school or have rolls royce/Dick Cheney healthcare plans that will go as far as turning you into a robot to keep you alive. The teachers of Wisconsin make about 27k a year to start, after years of fighting and crawling their way up the ladder, they can make it to national average wages at best.
The teachers union's collective bargaining is their only say in negotiating the terms of their salaries and benefits. What walker and the other far right goons want to do is destroy them, force them into slave labor conditions for next to no pay or benefits, while giving their cronies dynamite government positions all paid for by the taxpayer (like Walker did giving one of his major campaign donor's sons a high paying taxpayer funded job he was nowhere near qualified for.)

Please at least read what I write.

I am a teacher. I have worked on this personally, I know it first hand.

Many teacher's unions own their own health insurance provider. Wisconsin's biggest teacher's union, the WEA, owns the WEA Trust. The WEA Trust is a health insurance provider.

Collective bargaining puts many school districts in a position where they are limited to buying health insurance through the Union owned provider and nothing else. This is what is known as a monopoly.

You obviously don't care to have a discussion as you point out teacher's salaries aren't high - if you had bothered to read what I wrote I clearly pointed out that the Union is keeping this for themselves and not to the teachers. Much of this money goes to campaign donations.

Now that Walker has eliminated the WEA Trust monopoly, schools when working on a new contract have been able to purchase the same coverage from WEA Trust for hundreds of thousands of dollars less per year.

Tell me how the WEA Trust can just offer the same coverage and drop costs 30% over night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections