U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 AM

8,755 posts, read 9,462,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Chicago - The Republican race for president looks like a two-man contest in Illinois Thursday night.
Mitt Romney is ahead of Rick Santorum among Illinois Republicans, even after Santorum’s big victories in Alabama and Mississippi on Tuesday. But Santorum is within striking distance for next Tuesday's primary.
An exclusive FOX Chicago News poll found a six point lead for Romney among those likely to vote in the March 20 presidential primary.
Romney had the support of 37% on Wednesday. Rick Santorum earned 31% of the vote.
Pollster We Ask America, based in Springfield, IL, contacted the 1,933 likely Republican voters who participated in our survey on Wednesday, accurate to within plus/minus 2.2 percentage points.
The third-largest group of voters chose Newt Gingrich at 14%, 12% were undecided and 8% voted for Ron Paul.

Mitt Romney Leads Rick Santorum by Six Points in Exclusive Illinois Poll: We Ask America (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/elections/mitt-romney-leads-rick-santorum-6-points-illinois-primary-election-republican-gop-presidential-candidates-poll-20120315 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 AM

36,379 posts, read 37,128,718 times
What do they mean by "exclusive" poll?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM

4,110 posts, read 4,168,633 times
Illinois should be a close race...

Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 AM

840 posts, read 727,821 times
The White Obama should have a pretty good shot in Illinois I mean hell it gave us the Black Obama so why not vote for the White Obama.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,764,890 times
^We don't need your racial politics in this thread.

I think Illinois will be close, but Romney will win more delegates because of the Chicago area and Chicago suburbs. Santorum will do well downstate.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:18 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,000,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post

I think Illinois will be close, but Romney will win more delegates because of the Chicago area and Chicago suburbs. Santorum will do well downstate.
The Santorum campaign once again failed to file a full slate of delegates, so he will definitely lose in that regard. I don't think I've ever seen such a poorly run campaign

Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM

840 posts, read 727,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post

Its not "racial politics" son. Romney is nothing more than the white obama plain and simple. very subtle differences in policies is all their is.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 AM

6,934 posts, read 7,894,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
The Santorum campaign once again failed to file a full slate of delegates, so he will definitely lose in that regard. I don't think I've ever seen such a poorly run campaign
Just think of what a campaign it would be if he'd had the financial backing and earlier organization. It's pretty amazing how successful he's been, given those defects. Illinois will go for Romney. The base of the party is more moderate than we've seen in the southern states. Turnout may be low, though, and if so that will change things a bit. Not too much excitement on the GOP side this year, not here from what I'm seeing, hearing and reading.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 AM

4,741 posts, read 3,960,057 times
Romney should win, but I just get the feeling that more and more conservatives are rebelling against Romney, not just because they don't like Romney's mechanical persona, but also because they're trying to give the finger to the Republican establishment. In this day and age, looking like a politician is a good way to lose an election; looking and sounding authentic sells to voters, regardless of however ridiculous one's views might be. I think that even among more sophisticated suburban voters, Romney's got issues. Santorum exposes them, repeatedly.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,000,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Romney should win, but I just get the feeling that more and more conservatives are rebelling against Romney, not just because they don't like Romney's mechanical persona, but also because they're trying to give the finger to the Republican establishment. In this day and age, looking like a politician is a good way to lose an election; looking and sounding authentic sells to voters, regardless of however ridiculous one's views might be. I think that even among more sophisticated suburban voters, Romney's got issues. Santorum exposes them, repeatedly.
I think you have a good point, and it explains how there are some polls that show Santorum doing better with independents. They see him (incorrectly, IMHO) as more authentic in spite of the fact that they probably think he's radically right wing. I think the Obama campaign would easily be able to exploit Santorum's views and deliver a crushing general election defeat though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections