Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,421,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I know I think he's hot. But, then again I have a thing for those hound dog/skeletal ghost pirate extra guys.

Who cares how young his wife is? I just know that I don't support his political views.
waooooooooooooooooooooo / boo! / arrrgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,478,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
read my post.. I don't care about thompson and his wife.... I clearly said that.. she could be a gold digger or legit.. I don't give a rip... its not my business... and citigirl.. you're right.. we are above animals by having the cognative abilities we do.. but our biological nature is not void of us.. we ARE animals.. even if it is a higher level...
read a book sweetheart...
Just to ease your mind I am reading a book. It's called The Marketing of Evil: How Radicals, Elitists, and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised As Freedom. and the book I read before that was The ACLU vs. America: Exposing the Agenda to Redefine Moral Values.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Just to ease your mind I am reading a book. It's called The Marketing of Evil: How Radicals, Elitists, and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised As Freedom. and the book I read before that was The ACLU vs. America: Exposing the Agenda to Redefine Moral Values.
May I suggest something that yields a little less heat and a little more light?

Get a book of George Orwell's essays. Be sure that it includes "Politics and the English Language", "The Prevention of Literature" and "Charles Dickens."

Try C.S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man.

And there is always the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius.

These are works which address the concerns you raise, but so so without shrillness or invective. Emperor Aurelius is particularly comforting when he says

"One man, when he has done a service to another, is ready to set it down to his account as a favour conferred. Another is not ready to do this, but still in his own mind he thinks of the man as his debtor, and he knows what he has done. A third in a manner does not even know what he has done, but he is like a vine which has produced grapes, and seeks for nothing more after it has once produced its proper fruit. As a horse when he has run, a dog when he has tracked the game, a bee when it has made the honey, so a man when he has done a good act, does not call out for others to come and see, but he goes on to another act, as a vine goes on to produce again the grapes in season.- "

Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,935,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
ooooooohhhhh goodie.. I can't wait for you to share your thoughts when you're done.. I'm sure it will be factual and true.. much like the rest of your posts....

Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 PM

citigirl... when you're done reading those two great examples of conspiracy and moral premis...might I add another to the list for you to take a look at? Its called Biology 101.... should give you a great understanding of the human body in respects to its animal instincts.. so you know what you're up against in trying to control sex and right and wrong...

Old 09-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
citigirl... when you're done reading those two great examples of conspiracy and moral premis...might I add another to the list for you to take a look at? Its called Biology 101.... should give you a great understanding of the human body in respects to its animal instincts.. so you know what you're up against in trying to control sex and right and wrong...
Yo, Boise.

Are you implying that humans are animals?

Reminds me of a great old Flip Wilson joke:

"Lots of crazy things happen in traveling. Just last week I was on a train. There was a woman traveling with a baby. UGLY baby! I mean, I'm not one to make comments about anyone's kid -- but this was an UGLY baby. A guy walks down the train -- he's half smashed -- and he stops. And he stares. And the lady says "What are you looking at?" The guy says "I'm looking at that ugly baby." A scene ensues, whereupon the conductor arrives. He says "What's going on here?" The woman says "This man just insulted me!" The conductor says "Now calm down Madam, calm down. We here at the railroad want to make sure that there are no altercations between our passengers and that everyone's trip is as relaxing as possible. Accordingly, if you allow us, please step into the dining car and the railroad will buy you a free meal. And maybe we can find a banana for your monkey."

Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yo, Boise.

Are you implying that humans are animals?

Reminds me of a great old Flip Wilson joke:

"Lots of crazy things happen in traveling. Just last week I was on a train. There was a woman traveling with a baby. UGLY baby! I mean, I'm not one to make comments about anyone's kid -- but this was an UGLY baby. A guy walks down the train -- he's half smashed -- and he stops. And he stares. And the lady says "What are you looking at?" The guy says "I'm looking at that ugly baby." A scene ensues, whereupon the conductor arrives. He says "What's going on here?" The woman says "This man just insulted me!" The conductor says "Now calm down Madam, calm down. We here at the railroad want to make sure that there are no altercations between our passengers and that everyone's trip is as relaxing as possible. Accordingly, if you allow us, please step into the dining car and the railroad will buy you a free meal. And maybe we can find a banana for your monkey."

lol.... yes I'm implying that humans are part of the animal kingdom.. because we are..

thats a funny story... there is evidence world over that humans have evolved from the same group of ancestors as chimps... does not mean we were chimps.. but chimps and humans share a common ancestor...fossil records show the progression over millions of years.. either its true.. or people back then did look like ugly little monkey's.. LOL

Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
lol.... yes I'm implying that humans are part of the animal kingdom.. because we are..

thats a funny story... there is evidence world over that humans have evolved from the same group of ancestors as chimps... does not mean we were chimps.. but chimps and humans share a common ancestor...fossil records show the progression over millions of years.. either its true.. or people back then did look like ugly little monkey's.. LOL
Well, we are definitely the kings of the animal kingdom. Though sometimes I would like to see some other species take over. Dolphins maybe.

And I think lots of people look like ugly monkeys when they're angry...

Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I am well aware that some people cannot control themselves, much like animals that act on impulse. Some of us can and do control our impulses. Is it possible this is an argument for both creation and evolution? Those that act like animals evolved from apes and those that are not reduced to the behavior of animals were created?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
May I suggest something that yields a little less heat and a little more light?

Get a book of George Orwell's essays. Be sure that it includes "Politics and the English Language", "The Prevention of Literature" and "Charles Dickens."

Try C.S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man.

And there is always the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius.

These are works which address the concerns you raise, but so so without shrillness or invective. Emperor Aurelius is particularly comforting when he says

"One man, when he has done a service to another, is ready to set it down to his account as a favour conferred. Another is not ready to do this, but still in his own mind he thinks of the man as his debtor, and he knows what he has done. A third in a manner does not even know what he has done, but he is like a vine which has produced grapes, and seeks for nothing more after it has once produced its proper fruit. As a horse when he has run, a dog when he has tracked the game, a bee when it has made the honey, so a man when he has done a good act, does not call out for others to come and see, but he goes on to another act, as a vine goes on to produce again the grapes in season.- "
I have read those but it has been some time ago. What is important now is learning what manipulation and propaganda the children in our family are confronted with in the schools and in the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections