Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,371,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Lots of crazy things happen in traveling. Just last week I was on a train. There was a woman traveling with a baby. UGLY baby! I mean, I'm not one to make comments about anyone's kid -- but this was an UGLY baby. A guy walks down the train -- he's half smashed -- and he stops. And he stares. And the lady says "What are you looking at?" The guy says "I'm looking at that ugly baby." A scene ensues, whereupon the conductor arrives. He says "What's going on here?" The woman says "This man just insulted me!" The conductor says "Now calm down Madam, calm down. We here at the railroad want to make sure that there are no altercations between our passengers and that everyone's trip is as relaxing as possible. Accordingly, if you allow us, please step into the dining car and the railroad will buy you a free meal. And maybe we can find a banana for your monkey."

Ok, on topic, no, I don’t care that his wife is 25 years younger, I do care if he tries to get on some “sanctity of marriage” pedestal after having a divorce in his background.

Off topic – this reminds me of a funny joke to do to mouthy teenagers. You tell them “you walk into a room and there is a chimpanzee picking its butt, an orangutan picking it’s nose, a gorilla arousing itself…. Who is the more advance primate in the room?” Usually they pick one of the animals and then you can mock them since the teenager is a primate too and just admitted they are not more advanced than the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,930,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I am well aware that some people cannot control themselves, much like animals that act on impulse. Some of us can and do control our impulses. Is it possible this is an argument for both creation and evolution? Those that act like animals evolved from apes and those that are not reduced to the behavior of animals were created?
well if you're so in control of your impulses.. I am yet to see it happen on this forum...
I'm sure you're a lovely christian lady that has all her $hit together.. and would NEVER have any problem with "sins of the flesh" because you're not an animal.. you're a heavenly created being that is above the rest of us...
I'm sure...

Old 09-12-2007, 01:23 PM

thats exactly it... I don't care about this man's personal life.. but if he is going to get on an agenda that effects other's personal lives.. then the gate is open to criticize his.. and some would say.. divorce is not sanctifying a marriage.. I don't know what his stance is on these issues.. but considering the rest of what I know.. I am willing to bet he's a douche like the rest of em... do as I say.. not as I do... because god is on my side and the bible says so....

Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,394,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well if you're so in control of your impulses.. I am yet to see it happen on this forum...
I'm sure you're a lovely christian lady that has all her $hit together.. and would NEVER have any problem with "sins of the flesh" because you're not an animal.. you're a heavenly created being that is above the rest of us...
I'm sure...
Oh, I think we all have a little bit of heaven in us, Boise. Don't you?

Or do you believe we're just hairless chimpanzees with iPods?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Ok, on topic, no, I don’t care that his wife is 25 years younger, I do care if he tries to get on some “sanctity of marriage” pedestal after having a divorce in his background.

Off topic – this reminds me of a funny joke to do to mouthy teenagers. You tell them “you walk into a room and there is a chimpanzee picking its butt, an orangutan picking it’s nose, a gorilla arousing itself…. Who is the more advance primate in the room?” Usually they pick one of the animals and then you can mock them since the teenager is a primate too and just admitted they are not more advanced than the others.
Totally and completely the last one. This was sent to me by a friend...

"I have 2 large dogs, and was buying a large bag of Purina at Wal-Mart and was in line to check out.

The woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

Duh? On impulse, I told her no, I was starting The Purina Diet again.
Although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital the last time.But I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubescoming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry.The food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.

I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story, particularly a tall guy who was standing behind her.
Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me?

I told her no, I'd been sitting in the street licking my *ss and a car hit me. I thought the guy standing behind her was going to need help as he staggered to the door laughing."

Okay, I'll be good now.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Oh, I think we all have a little bit of heaven in us, Boise. Don't you?

Or do you believe we're just hairless chimpanzees with iPods?
I think the good that is represented in the term "heaven".. we all have within us.. sure
we all have a bad aspect to us as well.. its a balance..
I am not going to say I believe anything... because I don't know.. you don't know.. citigirl doesnt' know.. we are all just speculating... but science can show that we have evolved.. whatever further truths we are yet to know about it.. are all up in the air..
so.. by attacking creationism... I am not saying its wrong.. I'm saying.. its a point of view.. but do not push it as fact.. because it is NOT fact.. for some it may be a PERSONAL truth.. but not a universal truth...

Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I think the good that is represented in the term "heaven".. we all have within us.. sure
we all have a bad aspect to us as well.. its a balance..
I am not going to say I believe anything... because I don't know.. you don't know.. citigirl doesnt' know.. we are all just speculating... but science can show that we have evolved.. whatever further truths we are yet to know about it.. are all up in the air..
so.. by attacking creationism... I am not saying its wrong.. I'm saying.. its a point of view.. but do not push it as fact.. because it is NOT fact.. for some it may be a PERSONAL truth.. but not a universal truth...
Frankly, I'm never sure what is meant by "creationism." In using the term "heaven", I was referring to the spiritual side of humans, which I do indeed believe we all possess. Having said that, I think it's important to keep spirituality and religion separated in conversations about either.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 PM

68,379 posts, read 54,619,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I am well aware that some people cannot control themselves, much like animals that act on impulse. Some of us can and do control our impulses. Is it possible this is an argument for both creation and evolution? Those that act like animals evolved from apes and those that are not reduced to the behavior of animals were created?

Or maybe it's just another example of why Christ appeared on earth, because those who truly believe understand that while they may find it difficult, God can forgive man for virtually any misbehavior.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Frankly, I'm never sure what is meant by "creationism." In using the term "heaven", I was referring to the spiritual side of humans, which I do indeed believe we all possess. Having said that, I think it's important to keep spirituality and religion separated in conversations about either.
I think so too.. its getting a bit off topic.. but spiritual side of things is a reflection of our cognative ability and indulging in understanding the depth of it... there may or may not be a scientific way to explain it.. but we haven't gotten to that point yet.. so to say its fact is wrong.. its our own personal truth...
its a touchy issue I realize.. because my partner's grandparents are super christian and they believe that there are different races of people because of the tower of babel in the bible.. and there is no evidence in the world that is going to make them think otherwise because they are emotionally attached to that answer.. they need it for emotional security in their minds.. and that is why creationists are so defensive when it comes to science... and I understand where they are coming from... its a human aspect (greater animal aspect) to see things in a skewed light because we need it. the unknown does not sit well with animals like us that are able to contemplate our very own existence...because if everything really was up in the air in everyone's minds.. it would have everyone thinking.. "whats the point" So we need beliefs.. atleast until it can be proven fact.. and when it is.. you have to be able to be open to it as well.. by thinking logically and not emotionally

Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I think so too.. its getting a bit off topic.. but spiritual side of things is a reflection of our cognative ability and indulging in understanding the depth of it... there may or may not be a scientific way to explain it.. but we haven't gotten to that point yet.. so to say its fact is wrong.. its our own personal truth...
its a touchy issue I realize.. because my partner's grandparents are super christian and they believe that there are different races of people because of the tower of babel in the bible.. and there is no evidence in the world that is going to make them think otherwise because they are emotionally attached to that answer.. they need it for emotional security in their minds.. and that is why creationists are so defensive when it comes to science... and I understand where they are coming from... its a human aspect (greater animal aspect) to see things in a skewed light because we need it. the unknown does not sit well with animals like us that are able to contemplate our very own existence...because if everything really was up in the air in everyone's minds.. it would have everyone thinking.. "whats the point" So we need beliefs.. atleast until it can be proven fact.. and when it is.. you have to be able to be open to it as well.. by thinking logically and not emotionally
You're right. We're way off topic. Maybe we can take this up again in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections