Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,008,891 times

Advertisements

Remember people, liberal feminists have ALWAYS despised stay at home moms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,884,920 times
I wonder if the Repubs would support an effort to give Soc Sec credit to stay at home moms? At some point, they will need to retire also. Probably not, I think, since the real people take care of "their" women stock.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,219,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Wrong.

If she would have said what you are claiming she said, then the Oblama administration wouldn't be falling over itself to disavow her comments.

Congratulations on your valiant attempt to defend Obama/Rosen and attack Ann Romney at any cost though. Whatever remaining shred of credibility you had is pretty much gone now.
My valient attempt at what? Trying to get a bunch of people with IQ's that seem to be below 80 to deal with what she actually said vs. making up BS? Here's the transcript:
"With respect to economic issues, I think actually that Mitt Romney is right, that ultimately women care more about the economic well-being of their families and the like. But he doesn't connect on that issue either. What you have is Mitt Romney running around the country saying, 'Well, you know my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues and when I listen to my wife that's what I'm hearing.'
Guess what? His wife has actually never worked a day in her life. She's never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school and why do we worry about their future.
So I think that, yes, it's about these positions and yes, I think there will be a war of words about the positions. But there's something much more fundamental about Mitt Romney. He just seems so old-fashioned when it comes to women and I think that comes across and I think that that's going to hurt him over the long term. He just doesn't really see us as equal."

Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,008,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
My valient attempt at what? Trying to get a bunch of people with IQ's that seem to be below 80 to deal with what she actually said vs. making up BS? Here's the transcript:
"With respect to economic issues, I think actually that Mitt Romney is right, that ultimately women care more about the economic well-being of their families and the like. But he doesn't connect on that issue either. What you have is Mitt Romney running around the country saying, 'Well, you know my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues and when I listen to my wife that's what I'm hearing.'
Guess what? His wife has actually never worked a day in her life. She's never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school and why do we worry about their future.
So I think that, yes, it's about these positions and yes, I think there will be a war of words about the positions. But there's something much more fundamental about Mitt Romney. He just seems so old-fashioned when it comes to women and I think that comes across and I think that that's going to hurt him over the long term. He just doesn't really see us as equal."
She's complete wrong. Does she know the life and circumstances of the young Romneys? Do you? From what I hear, he made it completely on his own, he had no inheritance. But that's beside the point. Ann reflects MILLIONS of women in this country that CHOSE to stay home and raise their children, that includes ALL that running, organizing a household entails and in her case, throw in breast cancer and MS.

She and her husband are a team, as most married couples are, a team that plans and dreams and has the same goals for their family.

If Rosen's comments were as innocuous as you claim, start calling obama, Mrs. O, the VP and every top level campaign staffer of obama's a liar.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...y-a-break.html

Quote:
Rosen explained in a Huffington Post piece that her point was that Ann Romney should not be a person who Mitt Romney looks to for advice about the economic conditions of women, because, “she’s never really dealt with the kinds of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing, in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school, and why do we worry about their future.”

Of course, if this is the standard, then most women who work in politics—including Rosen—should not be able to offer advice on the economic plight of the average American woman, since with few exceptions they are hypereducated upper-income yuppies.

Really, according to this line of reasoning, Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Edwards should never have been able to talk about women’s issues as the spouse of candidate since they never had to worry about how to feed their kids.
Clearly, it was a stupid thing for her to say and no amount of spin can explain it away.

Oh...thank you Hilary Rosen.

Last edited by sanrene; 04-13-2012 at 06:40 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I wonder if the Repubs would support an effort to give Soc Sec credit to stay at home moms? At some point, they will need to retire also. Probably not, I think, since the real people take care of "their" women stock.
It would be an interesting discussion, because it's real work. I doubt that it will ever happen though.

Most of the SAHM's I know (and I know a bunch) tend to treat their husband's career as "our job" and it makes sense. That's how it worked in my family. My husband was building his career at the time I was home with our boys. I took care of everything at home so he had the time to work crazy hours, and I helped him professionally where I could. Since my field is strategic planning, pr and marketing, I spent lots of days talking through and outlining projects with him, writing up materials, etc. We were working together toward common goals for our family. I'd helped put him through grad school, then he helped me go later. I stayed at home with the boys while we were building his career, now he's helping me build mine.

That's why it ticks me off that some here are distorting what this Rosen woman said as a political jab vs. taking it seriously, because it deserves a serious discussion. Being a SAHM, volunteering to do the things that need to be done at school and church, and helping your spouse build their career at the same time is very hard work, and it doesn't get much respect.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,127,133 times
And the liberals turn on Rosen like a pack of rabid wolves.... Ah, well, she deserves it.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
She's complete wrong. Does she know the life and circumstances of the young Romneys? Do you? From what I hear, he made it completely on his own, he had no inheritance. But that's beside the point. Ann reflects MILLIONS of women in this country that CHOSE to stay home and raise their children, that includes ALL that running, organizing a household entails and in her case, throw in breast cancer and MS.

She and her husband are a team, as most married couples are, a team that plans and dreams and has the same goals for their family.

If Rosen's comments were as innocuous as you claim, start calling obama, Mrs. O, the VP and every top level campaign staffer of obama's a liar.

Hilary Rosen Feud: Give Ann Romney a Break! - The Daily Beast
I have zero idea what you're yammering on about AGAIN, but that's nothing new.

I think Rosen is an idiot, and she's wrong, but she didn't do what some of you are claiming. The Romney camp has twisted this into launching an attack on all SAHM's plus they're making her out to be a major advisor or spokesperson for the D's or the Obamas--seriously?

Here's what I think is going on--the classic "Rove style" strategy is to attack your opponents greatest strength and twist it against them, which in Obama's case is family values. Romney's greatest weakness is with women voters--he's down 20 points with them vs. Obama. The Romney camp sees this as an opportunity to take a jab at Obama on those issues. The problem is that they're really reaching, the facts don't back up their claims, and this may well backfire on them. If Romney want's to appeal to women voters, he needs to actually take a stand on policy issues that help women, like coming out in support of the fair pay act. Women aren't stupid. He can say what he wants, but actions speak a whole lot louder than words.

Romney did the same type of really nasty attacks on his R opponents in the primary. This is nothing new, and it's just politics as usual.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM

14,487 posts, read 11,307,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I relate Rove to overreach... which the GOP seems to like doing. But, they really aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack, are they?

Conservatives Shoot Both Feet Attacking Rosen's Sexuality - Forbes
In re your link: In my area (Boston) the Catholics are all Democrats.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,455,716 times
Hillary Rosen is a CNN political commentator.

Now, I realize how desperate Obamaphobes are to try to color all Democrats as "anti-mom" and you have good reason to over-react with your own recent foray into irrational antifemale territory. It won't work. Rosen no more speaks for Obama or the DNC than Sean Hannity speaks for the RNC.

That said, enjoy your phony outrage.

But this little tempest in a teapot will blow over real quickly.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Do you want Macy's to throw you a parade or something for taking care of your children?
I think ANY mother, either working at a job outside the home, or as a SAHM, deserves a whole lot of credit for raising kids that grow up to be decent, productive people. If you have a problem with that, I can't help you. In case you're a little lost here (or at least it sounds that way to me) the discussion for the last 20+ pages on this thread has been about people's attitudes about stay at home mothers. I take it you're on the no respect side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections