Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,997,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Individual churches were segregated...this was a function of a segregated society, the Bible never specifically mandated this, it was just something idiots did. LDS specifically prohibited blacks from becoming clergy. Don't pretend it's equivalent to lawmaking bodies, which are subject to voters and politicians. Laws are not considered a person's core values, they are obeyed because people either respect them or are afraid of punishment. You're only admitting the LDS have no core principles and will just do whatever is politically popular, shall we see gay marriages in Mormon temples in the 2030's once the great leader has a "revelation"?
Why are you "tolerant" liberals always the most bigoted people out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM

613 posts, read 762,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why the fixation on her underwear? The fact that you actually believe in magic underwear speaks volumes about your level of intelligence.

I'm sure she knows far more about the subject that you do. Of course, that wouldn't require that she know much.

The Mormons are the people who believe their underwear is magic, not me.

I don't think she has ever heard of Bring them Young, and Joey Smith sure heard a lot of interesting things when his head was in that hat. HA!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,189,277 times
Quote:
Individual churches were segregated...this was a function of a segregated society, the Bible never specifically mandated this, it was just something idiots did. LDS specifically prohibited blacks from becoming clergy. Don't pretend it's equivalent to lawmaking bodies, which are subject to voters and politicians. Laws are not considered a person's core values, they are obeyed because people either respect them or are afraid of punishment. You're only admitting the LDS have no core principles and will just do whatever is politically popular, shall we see gay marriages in Mormon temples in the 2030's once the great leader has a "revelation"?
I never believed the Church's ban against Black men holding the priesthood was right, and I don't believe the Church's stance on same-sex marriage is right either. I am not, however, "admitting" to the words you put in my mouth. Speak for yourself, please, but not for me.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,093,024 times
It sounds as if some of our members are trying to think about the poor woman's underwear... How creepy.

Katzpur's point completely stands. Other congregations were segregated too (and as she pointed out the LDS church was never even segregated), nearly all churches were. I don't understand your point phenomenal AJ. One thing about the LDS church that makes it different from, say, the Catholic Church (I use that comparison because theyre the only major churches I know that claim to be the only true Church organization on earth) is that the RCC has a doctrine if papal infallibility whereas the LDS church doesn't. They admit their leaders are humans and prone to mistakes, and that the revelation in the 70s was God revealing the proper path for the church to take. It doesn't make them wishy-washy on core values, it makes them seem more real and down to earth. I'm not Mormon, but I do believe that God gives guidance to LDS leaders as well as leaders in every church aimed at serving him, even if certain churches are more true than others. So I'm sure God did genuinely try to set the Church straight on this issue and did so through communicating to their president. It's not at all a difficult concept for a believer, regardless of what it is you believe.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,189,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
The Mormons are the people who believe their underwear is magic, not me.
I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken. I challenge you to provide me with one single solitary quote from a Mormon who considers his underwear to be magic. You won't find one anywhere. Every single solitary reference to "magic underwear" you will ever run across comes from an anti-Mormon website. I guess you believe Jews wear "magic underwear," too. That's too bad. Bigotry is such an ugly quality.

Quote:
I don't think she has ever heard of Bring them Young, and Joey Smith sure heard a lot of interesting things when his head was in that hat. HA!
I'm quite sure she knows far more about Mormonism that you ever will. The difference is that she knows how to tell the difference between the truth and lies, which is apparently beyond your ability to do.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,955,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Why are you "tolerant" liberals always the most bigoted people out there?
LDS circa 1976: You want to be a priest? LOL I don't think so, you're black!

Me: respects the dignity of all human beings and thinks judging someone by the color of their skin is wrong

Trace21230: hypocritical right winger who carries water consistently for any blatantly racist conservative on the C-D forums

Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,997,597 times
Quote:
LDS circa 1976: You want to be a priest? LOL I don't think so, you're black!

Me: respects the dignity of all human beings and thinks judging someone by the color of their skin is wrong

Trace21230: hypocritical right winger who carries water consistently for any blatantly racist conservative on the C-D forums
It's not 1976 anymore. Please try and keep up.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,433,755 times
Mia Love interviewed by Glenn 'too tall' Reynolds. She quotes Bastiat. OMG Mia, where you been all my life?

Mia Love: Could She Be The Smartest Congressional Tea Party Candidate? - YouTube

Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,143,845 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for these scintillating debates, I'd think I'd traveled back in time to the Lincoln-Douglas debates Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs, Wiccans and even Scientologists have never specifically prohibited black people from serving in their clergy, Mormons did until 1977 until they had a "revelation from God" and changed their rules, same as they did with polygamy, all coincidentally coinciding with changing mores and laws I think it's sad that a black person would hate themselves enough to be a Mormon and accept that their own god thinks them inferior.
You do have to give the Mormons credit for progressive change. At least they can change for the better unlike the rigid southern baptist who insist we all live in the Old Testament or the Catholics that think women are all 2nd class citizens.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,143,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Mia Love interviewed by Glenn 'too tall' Reynolds. She quotes Bastiat. OMG Mia, where you been all my life?

Mia Love: Could She Be The Smartest Congressional Tea Party Candidate? - YouTube
She cannot be smart because of that R by her name. That I have a problem with. The fact she is a Mormon married to a white guy I don't have a problem with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections