Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,812,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I don't know why you guys think that people on the left are preoccupied with his religion. They aren't going to vote for him.
Because the only folks discussing his faith are on the left.

Here's an example.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-fi...mneys-religion

Here's a good one.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...in-mexico.html

Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM

37,849 posts, read 41,215,210 times
More worried about the Church of Flip Flop than the Church of Mormon.

1. There is no Mormoninistan where they are getting US money, fighting a war, building a nuke, committing genocide or driving up the price of oil.

2. No Mormon ever flew a plane into a building and killed a lot of innocent people.

3. If there is a Mormon lobby on Capitol Hill making our reps and senators bend over and add earmaks to their legislation, I don't know about it. I've never heard of a Mormon boondoggle that has impacted the rest of the country.

4. There is no Mormon subsidy.

5. Mormons aren't marching on Washington with some Mormon flag, trashing the place, asking for special treatment/special handouts or acting like a bunch of jerks at soldiers' funerals.

6. There are no Mormon restaurants serving special Mormon food that you know, tastes terrible. Mrs Romney isn't pushing Mormon food on your school kids.

7. There are no Mormons refusing to speak English.

8. Fill in the blank: "Mormons control the/rule the (blank) and must be stopped." Yeah, I couldn't think of anything either.

9. Never happened: Mormons passed out kool-aid and poisoned all of their followers or went up on some mountain and waited for the end of the world.

10. Harry Reid is a Mormon.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,528,717 times
I'll take it back a full circle, to the question I originally posted:

When Should Mitt Romney Talk About His Mormon Faith? - ABC News

Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I'll take it back a full circle, to the question I originally posted:

When Should Mitt Romney Talk About His Mormon Faith? - ABC News
It's a loaded question. It is a back handed slap at Mormonism. Has this question ever been asked about another candidate. Except perhaps Kennedy) why is the left preoccupied with his religion?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,209,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It's a loaded question. It is a back handed slap at Mormonism. Has this question ever been asked about another candidate. Except perhaps Kennedy) why is the left preoccupied with his religion?
He already made a speech addressing the issue in 2007, but it's a fair question given the role (some) religion plays in American society. The same would likely be asked of any newer religious tradition such as a potential Jehova's Witness or Christian Scientist candidate.

But really it's not so much the questions themselves but how a candidate answers them, hence why people remember Kennedy's remarks on Catholicism.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
He already made a speech addressing the issue in 2007, but it's a fair question given the role (some) religion plays in American society. The same would likely be asked of any newer religious tradition such as a potential Jehova's Witness or Christian Scientist candidate.

But really it's not so much the questions themselves but how a candidate answers them, hence why people remember Kennedy's remarks on Catholicism.
No actually it is completely unfair and bigoted.

It is astonishing that you belive people remeber Kennrdy because he was Catholic.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,652,484 times
Exclamation hmm...

Quote:

should obama talk about his faith 123,000,000 results

New to politics?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
should obama talk about his faith 123,000,000 results

New to politics?
If he wants to. There is no reason he has to. He is free to discuss it or not.

Nah, not new at all to politics. As a matter of fact, I remember when the bigots attacked another President due to his beliefs.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,209,373 times
Quote:
It is astonishing that you belive people remeber Kennrdy because he was Catholic.
I agree, that is astonishing! Good thing that's not what I said at all.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:56 PM

7,978 posts, read 7,392,575 times
Quote:
If he wants to. There is no reason he has to. He is free to discuss it or not.

Nah, not new at all to politics. As a matter of fact, I remember when the bigots attacked another President due to his beliefs.
John Kennedy, of course, but Jimmy Carter was Southern Baptist, I believe? I remember him being criticized for teaching Sunday School while he was President of the United States. I had an accounting instructor who often made caustic comments about that. I heard it mentioned on a news show that he had all liquor removed from the White House and only served white wine on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections