Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,235,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
For the second time in the last 20 minutes, in another thread, I never said Walker recieved more votes than dems taht day, I said that in the last 60 years, more people voted in this election for Walker than in the last 60 years...
D turnout overall was much higher. The question is whether or not the democrats, independents and more moderate R's who voted for D candidates other than Barrett will turn around and vote for Walker in the recall. I find that unlikely. Some polls show Walker with a six percent lead, and others with a much tighter race against Barrett. The Walker campaign is outspending the Barrett race 25:1. According to the polls, Walker will most likely win, but the R's have spent a ton of outside corporate money on this race and have almost no local and state GOTV (get out the vote) structure in place. The D's and unions have spent their much more limited funds building a strong GOTV structure. It looks like it's going to be a very high voter turn out race--it just depends on whether or not the R's do a good job of turning out their folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Can't wait to see you bawling after Walker wins.

Are you still claiming to be a Republican by the way?
Bawling? How about resigning myself to the fact that if Walker wins, the extremist crackpots in the republican party are going to see it as a sign that they need to become even more radical, and they're going to set the stage for the R's to become so far out there that eventually they'll lose control on a federal lever for a generation. I hope Walker loses--better to nip it in the bud now and rebuild the party with more common sense R's then to give over control to the democrats for the next 30 to 50 years because some of you think the rest of the country is just as extremist as you are. If you don't believe me, look at what happened to the democrats following the 60s and 70s. Everything cycles, and only an idiot doesn't learn from history. You also forget that in the midwest, many conservatives are not anti labor.

As far as counting myself as a "republican" this round, if it means throwing myself in with radical little weasels like you, then it's a big no, although my family did a lot of work for John Bruning's senate campaign, and I voted in the republican primary for local candidates. Interestingly enough, that race was another where a complete darkhorse/underdog (Deb Fischer) beat both establishment (Bruning) and tea party (Stenberg) candidates in a surprise upset in the last two weeks, despite being outspent at nearly the same levels as the Wisconsin race, and being far behind in the polls until the very end. The crazy part is that no one really knows how she stands on most issues, so you can't put it on being more conservative or more moderate. She got a last minute infusion of cash, and people were sick of the really negative campaigning from Bruning and Stenberg. I think there's big potential for surprises and upsets this election cycle--voters are in an ugly mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Are you saying, the unions are tapped out on funds this time around, after the constant shellacing they have been getting, since the 2010 Mid-terms.
The issue is that the unions are raising their campaign funds from their members (teachers, police officers, fire fighters, etc. who contribute to campaign work) and that big corporations outside of Wisconsin have dumped more than 25 million in super pac money into the state.

Last edited by mb1547; 05-25-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 AM

46,450 posts, read 27,328,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

The issue is that the unions are raising their campaign funds from their members (teachers, police officers, fire fighters, etc. who contribute to campaign work) and that big corporations outside of Wisconsin have dumped more than 25 million in super pac money into the state.
And why is this? Is it because the dems already see they are not going to win?

EXCLUSIVE: Wisconsin Dems furious with DNC for refusing to invest big money in Walker recall - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

I mean, look at all the money they spent on the last recall election and even though they gained 2 spots, it was not enough. ANd then what about the Judge the unions tried to get rid of....allthat money and guess what....still there....

Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And why is this? Is it because the dems already see they are not going to win?

EXCLUSIVE: Wisconsin Dems furious with DNC for refusing to invest big money in Walker recall - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

I mean, look at all the money they spent on the last recall election and even though they gained 2 spots, it was not enough. ANd then what about the Judge the unions tried to get rid of....allthat money and guess what....still there....
I'm not exactly an insider with the democrats but my guess is that they're seeing the writing on the wall for corporate money coming from the R side, and they're going to focus their resources on the presidential, senate and congressional races instead, with the hope of holding the senate and taking a big chunk back in the house. The electorate is in an ugly mood. 2010 was a "throw the bums out" year for incumbents, and we may be facing another one for state races in 2012. This isn't good news for the R party, but the D's may be looking at this from a long term strategy--the sooner the R's go completely bat poop crazy and off the cliff, the sooner the D's have an opportunity to swing back into control. I'm sure that ticks off labor in Wisconsin, but as far right as the R party is moving, what's labor going to do--vote R? In the bigger picture, again--if Walker wins Wisconsin, it's going to embolden the extremist end of the republican party, and the D's may realize their opportunity to regain power that much sooner. The D's may be looking at this from the standpoint of "lose the battle, but win the war." At the end of the day, it just gives me a huge headache.

As far as labor in Wisconsin winning or not winning--they've formed a coalition with Dale Schultz, the lone moderate R Senator in Wisconsin, to block a number of issues that the majority Walker R base wanted passed. They didn't get their three new D seats, but evidently they got enough. I think we're going to see more moderate R/D coalitions formed across the county in statehouses as the extremist end of the R party pushes harder and becomes more unreasonable.

Last edited by mb1547; 05-25-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,997,597 times
Quote:
I'm not exactly an insider with the democrats but my guess is that they're seeing the writing on the wall for corporate money coming from the R side, and they're going to focus their resources on the presidential, senate and congressional races instead, with the hope of holding the senate and taking a big chunk back in the house. The electorate is in an ugly mood. 2010 was a "throw the bums out" year for incumbents, and we may be facing another one for state races in 2012. This isn't good news for the R party, but the D's may be looking at this from a long term strategy--the sooner the R's go completely bat poop crazy and off the cliff, the sooner the D's have an opportunity to swing back into control. I'm sure that ticks off labor in Wisconsin, but as far right as the R party is moving, what's labor going to do--vote R? In the bigger picture, again--if Walker wins Wisconsin, it's going to embolden the extremist end of the republican party, and the D's may realize their opportunity to regain power that much sooner. The D's may be looking at this from the standpoint of "lose the battle, but win the war." At the end of the day, it just gives me a huge headache.

As far as labor in Wisconsin winning or not winning--they've formed a coalition with Dale Schultz, the lone moderate R Senator in Wisconsin, to block a number of issues that the majority Walker R base wanted passed. They didn't get their three new D seats, but evidently they got enough. I think we're going to see more moderate R/D coalitions formed across the county in statehouses as the extremist end of the R party pushes harder and becomes more unreasonable.
The extremist Democrat party is in the White House right now. Most Americans are far more concerned about those extremists than those "crazy" Walker conservatives who want smaller government and fiscal restraint.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,183,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It is a point blank lie that Wisconsin is last in job creation under Walker. The official government numbers have Walker with 9 straight months of job creation and an unemployment rate dropping much faster than the national average.
So does Ohio, and the state residents rejected the same anti-union legislation. I don't know, it's probably just a recovering economy nationally and doesn't have anything to do with Walker.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The extremist Democrat party is in the White House right now. Most Americans are far more concerned about those extremists than those "crazy" Walker conservatives who want smaller government and fiscal restraint.
No--I'm a smaller (not no) government conservative. When you walk across the line to propose eliminating public lands and parks for hunting to replace them with privately held game parks because public hunting land and state parks are "communist," you've boarded the train to crazy town. He's an extremist and a nut.

You can mess with lots of things, but when you mess with hunting in the upper Midwest you're opening up an ugly can of worms.

Will Wisconsin Privatize Public Land | Deer & Deer Hunting | Whitetail Deer Advice and Instruction

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,007,530 times
The Walker supporters are outspending Labor by 25:1 and are just a few points ahead.

The real question is why is the OP so gleeful that the union supports, who represent the middle class, are behind and the Walker supports, who are being funded by billionaires like the Koch Bros, are ahead? Does the OP like oligarchy, where everyone works for low wages and lives to server their billionaire masters?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The Walker supporters are outspending Labor by 25:1 and are just a few points ahead.
This is yet another Tom Barrett/DNC talking point/lie that the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel thoroughly debunked last week.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
No--I'm a smaller (not no) government conservative. When you walk across the line to propose eliminating public lands and parks for hunting to replace them with privately held game parks because public hunting land and state parks are "communist," you've boarded the train to crazy town. He's an extremist and a nut.

You can mess with lots of things, but when you mess with hunting in the upper Midwest you're opening up an ugly can of worms.

Will Wisconsin Privatize Public Land | Deer & Deer Hunting | Whitetail Deer Advice and Instruction
But wait. I thought the recall was about collective bargaining. You liberals keep changing the meme as to why Walker needs to be recalled. Pick a story and stick with it. The fact that you can't might be part of the reason why you've lost Wisconsin.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,858,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The real question is why is the OP so gleeful that the union supports, who represent the middle class, are behind and the Walker supports, who are being funded by billionaires like the Koch Bros, are ahead? Does the OP like oligarchy, where everyone works for low wages and lives to server their billionaire masters?
Excellent question and I've wondered that myself. The right wing idiots are cheering for the destruction of the middle class, freedom, liberty, the constitution, and themselves like it's a good thing. The only conclusion I've been able to come to is that there truly is a strong link between being a far right nut job, and having a severe mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections