Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Wow. A whole 21 electoral votes among all of them.

As I said on all of these threads about polls taken six-months before the election, you're wasting your time following them. At this time in 2004, John Kerry was leading Bush by 11 points.
I do agree with you on the meaning of polls 6 months out, but we are only 5 months out and things are going to start taking shape. As for the number of votes, no 21 means little but the tread is what does. We are seeing the trend swing to Romney almost daily. Yes, there will be some ups and downs for both men in the months to come. Just don't get cocky and think Obama has this thing in the bag....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Bush didn't have obama's horrendous record on the economy, debt, spending and taxation.
You kidding me! Bush had the worst record of employment of any two post World War II president. He's got one of the worst records of raising tax revenue and federal debt went from $5.769881 trillion to $9.986082 trillion. That's an increase of 73%.

Bush Lead During Weakest Economy in Decades - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
President Bush has presided over the weakest eight-year span for the U.S. economy in decades, according to an analysis of key data, and economists across the ideological spectrum increasingly view his two terms as a time of little progress on the nation's thorniest fiscal challenges.

The number of jobs in the nation increased by about 2 percent during Bush's tenure, the most tepid growth over any eight-year span since data collection began seven decades ago. Gross domestic product, a broad measure of economic output, grew at the slowest pace for a period of that length since the Truman administration. And Americans' incomes grew more slowly than in any presidency since the 1960s, other than that of Bush's father.
He also had the lowest approval rating in his second term of any two term president post World War II at 35%.

Poll: Approval Ratings Compared - CBS News

Quote:
Bush's low job approval is far below that of some of his two-term predecessors at this point in their second terms. In November 1985, President Reagan had a 65 percent approval rating, and Bill Clinton's job approval in November 1997 was 57 percent. Bush's rating is higher than Richard Nixon's was at the same point in his administration.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Are you still clinging to the idea that Oblama is going to win North Carolina again? If so, I'm highly amused.
It is absolutely going to be a close race in NC. If it wasn't why is your beloved Romney chosen North Carolina of all places to spend precious early advertising money on? He has only spend in 4 states and NC is one of them. That alone speaks volumes to the fact that while the GOPeons may be deluded about the actual state of affairs of NC Romney is most certainly not.

Romney Must Make Key Decisions by August Convention | TheLedger.com

Now would you care to discuss what I actually posted in #19 and try to refute me with facts and evidence?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Yes. I think Iowa is basically a lost cause for the Democrats this year. The same should be true for Wisconsin IF Walker can win the recall.

When the Democrats start losing states in the Upper Midwest, it's curtains for Obama.
The very same polls the Republicans on here are talking about showing Walker ahead in WI also show Obama ahead.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I don't understand this as a counterargument? 21 EVs is very important to both camps, particularly when Obama is almost certainly losing Indiana and North Carolina (26 EVs) this election cycle.

But hey - if the Obama strategy this election cycle is to ignore states with less than x EVs, then I will be interested to see the results.

Indiana yes, Obama will lose. North Carolina? Virtually every poll shows NC a dead heat.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It is absolutely going to be a close race in NC. If it wasn't why is your beloved Romney chosen North Carolina of all places to spend precious early advertising money on? He has only spend in 4 states and NC is one of them. That alone speaks volumes to the fact that while the GOPeons may be deluded about the actual state of affairs of NC Romney is most certainly not.

Romney Must Make Key Decisions by August Convention | TheLedger.com

Now would you care to discuss what I actually posted in #19 and try to refute me with facts and evidence?
Regardless how the election turns out there is, probably, a 5 to 1 chance Romney will carry N.C. Anyone who really thinks Obama stands a good chance of winning should really think this over very carefully.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Regardless how the election turns out there is, probably, a 5 to 1 chance Romney will carry N.C. Anyone who really thinks Obama stands a good chance of winning should really think this over very carefully.
So far we have had bsically one or two polls which show either one up by a few points in the state, and virtually everything else very tight.

Randomstudent,does bring up a great point when it comes to the Amendment. The strongest areas in favor of Amendment One were the more rural areas of the state, both white and black. Now its pretty safe to assume Romney will win bigin the white areas strongly against the Amendment and Obama will win big in the black areas sreas strongly against it.

One of the keys in NC is some of the suburan areas of Wake County, especially around Cary and Apex which are full of swing voters. This area was pretty much split in 2008 and is full of transplants. It voted heavily against the Amendment. So while the state as a whole voted in favor of it by a solid margin, the real swing areas that will have the most impact in November voted against I and by massive margins.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
IA, CO, and and NV aren't key states. The key swing states are Ohio, Pennsylvania and perhaps NC and/or FL. From the electoral map, if Obama takes Ohio where he has a strong lead and any other of the swing states, it's game over Willard
I guess you haven't really kept up with the polls lately; OHio is now Romney country even though it is too close to call: Fl and NC are now on Romney's side as well: Fl by quite a bit. Maybe you need to check before you post.

Nita

Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Until we get a poll that states Romney is leading PA, OH and MI, Romney is losing.

And every political pundit, city-data poster, expert, texpert and choking smokers knows this is true.

It wouldn't be good for ratings to admit this though.

Even though everyone knows this is the case.
You may want to check the latest polls out just a day ago?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
So far we have had bsically one or two polls which show either one up by a few points in the state, and virtually everything else very tight.

Randomstudent,does bring up a great point when it comes to the Amendment. The strongest areas in favor of Amendment One were the more rural areas of the state, both white and black. Now its pretty safe to assume Romney will win bigin the white areas strongly against the Amendment and Obama will win big in the black areas sreas strongly against it.

One of the keys in NC is some of the suburan areas of Wake County, especially around Cary and Apex which are full of swing voters. This area was pretty much split in 2008 and is full of transplants. It voted heavily against the Amendment. So while the state as a whole voted in favor of it by a solid margin, the real swing areas that will have the most impact in November voted against I and by massive margins.
yes, it is very close in NC right now and seems to swing every week, but I still believe Romney will win in the end, maybe by a lot. Most of the states we are talking about are really too close to call at this time. of course things are going to change in the next few months. We will see a jump for Romney after next weeks primaries probably. People go with the person getting the attention at the time and Obama has no competition. After the conventions the same, the nominee will get a huge boost just to see it disappear a few weeks later.

You know I don't put much into these polls so far out, I am just amused by those who make comments about so and so huge lead, when the latest polls show something different.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections