Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Are you talking about under Reagan? I took a semester off college to campaign for Reagan--compared to this current crew of people calling themselves republicans, he was a real moderate. He talked tough, but at the end of the day he was all about trying to solve problems and getting everybody together to do it, vs. going off on ideological tangents. He wasn't a "no government" republican, and he understood that not all social programs are bad. If he was running today you people would call him a RINO--that's what makes me nuts. The party's been taken over by crazy people.
Good post, but I still think too many are putting Reagan in the RINO catagory without totally understanding him. He actually leaned somewhat into the Libartarian catagory, very tough on some issues, but open on social issues. Yes, he did understand how to bet things done, and he knew what battles were worth fighting.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,143,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Remember, the Brown Campiagn in 2010? He won in January. In November Democrats gained nothing in the state, Patrick got re-elected, all (then 10) house members got elected. the Only gains was 16 Republicans in the General court.
As a result, I believe that the Wisconsin Recall will have little long term results, as in the past.
I agree. It will effect only Wisconsin.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Maybe, but this is about math.

This is about not being able to afford Union owned health insurance providers that use their monopoly to overcharge tax payers.

Perhaps it will inspire other governors and mayors to be an adult and find a solution.
They are going to have to whether they want to or not. We simply cannot afford it anymore. The taxpayers are tapped out right now. Not getting raises, pensions and health benefits at all.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think the issue is not so much about Walker but pushy vocal outside instigators undermining Wisconsin people. I think the message is, "Butt out!"

I'll be very interested to watch the election results on Tuesday and I will definitely go to MSNBC to listen to them spin after the results are in if Walker wins. If he wins, he should thank the unions for helping the Wisconsin economy by bringing people in to eat and sleep in their state.

Personally, I thought the Democrats running away from their state office jobs was even worse than the Anthony Weiner story in NY. I've seen the union stuff before but I've never seen politicians run away from home.
People that don't live in Wisconsin should butt the hell out of elections there. That includes the NY unions AND the Kansas Koch brothers.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,234,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You are a laugh riot. Scott Walker has poor character. George Bush "drove the economy off a cliff."

Never in your mind are the Democrats responsible for anything. Do you deny that Jim Doyle (D-WI) drove Wisconsin's economy and budget "off a cliff" and Scott Walker had to pick up the pieces?

I suspect in your hyperpartisan universe, only Democrats inherit "messes" from their predecessors. You certainly don't hold Democrats to the lofty standards you think Republicans should follow.
This is just an observation, but I've never ever heard you talk about or give any indication that you understand policy, strategy, or have any sense of history. When you can intelligently discuss an issue you might get a shred of credibility, but all Ive ever seen you do--ever--is name call. That's what kids do on play grounds. It's time to grow up.

As for the rest--I have no idea what a former democratic governor in Wisconsin did, and I honestly don't care. How that relates to a discussion of W and the federal budget deficit and recession is beyond me. W wasn't a conservative--he was a big spender. Many real conservatives, although we voted for him, and I think he's a decent human being, are not happy with him, and it makes zero sense to lie and blindly stand up for him. He did what he did. I think you need to take a look in the mirror to see the real hyper partisan in this conversation is, because I promise you--it's not me.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
People that don't live in Wisconsin should butt the hell out of elections there. That includes the NY unions AND the Kansas Koch brothers.
first I thought you were referring to us decussing this on here, and I wondered what was wrong with us giving opinions, then I read on..You are right, I do wish this would be left up to the voters in WI but unions know what is at stake and so do the Koch brothers. If Walker wins, the government unions know they have lost ground and if he loses, we all know that that will mean.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections