Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,464,156 times

Advertisements

Sorry. Can't make it. I have to go watch paint dry.

May Dr. Paul have fun and be at peace returning to shovel horse manure on his farm, knowing that he will never again have to embarrass himself running for an office he is not qualified for. You can't undo the 20th century and bigots have no business running for office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:52 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,240,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Anyone that takes a government job...especially a cushy one... is part of the problem.
Anyone that takes a government job is part of the problem? Every cop, every fireman, every teacher, everyone in the military, your letter carrier, Ron Paul, they are all part of the problem?

Quote:
I get ticked off about local towns giving their employees cost of living wage increases when tons of people are out of work!
Lots of government workers have been stuck without raises for years, just like some people in private sector. Conversely some government workers have had raises, just like some people in private sector.

Quote:
No government worker local, state or federal should be making more than $50k per year!
So a high ranking government workers who is the equivalent of a high level executive, managing thousands of employees with huge responsibility likely with 30+ years of experience and extensive education, should make less than 50k? The city manager of Phoenix AZ who runs the 6th largest city in the nation should make less than a union dock worker? The physician with extensive research background who is the director of the CDC should make less than some staff accountant?

You are silly and unrealistic.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,417,021 times
Quote:
Anyone that takes a government job...especially a cushy one... is part of the problem.
I would love to see my girlfriend's reaction to your description of her job teaching at an urban school district as "cushy." I work long hours myself, but I would never trade my late night deadlines for the crap she has to put up with on a daily basis. Public workers seem to bear the brunt of ignorant, uninformed constituents who take the work they do for granted. I work in the private sector but deal with planners, council members, and city managers often so I have experience with the amount of work involved behind the scenes.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Quote:
Anyone that takes a government job...especially a cushy one... is part of the problem. I get ticked off about local towns giving their employees cost of living wage increases when tons of people are out of work! The NERVE they have taking taxpayer money to do that! No government worker local, state or federal should be making more than $50k per year! Retirement should be less than half if even that--- with no cost of living increases.

Maybe if it was impossible to get rich via government jobs including elected positions, people would serve for the right reasons for a change!
you honestly believe no one working for the government should make more than $50,000 a year? I really don't think you mean this and if you do, you really need to do some re-thinking. What doctor is going to work for $50,000 a year and why would top government executives with advanced degrees choose to work for the government? If your theory was correct what would be the quality of workers managing the biggest coorporation in the country (government) would we be getting? Have you tried to live on and raise a famliy on $50,000 lately? We are not talking retired people (but even then $50,000 doesn't go far) we are talking young people out of college or office workers, I am thinking the normal 40 something person with a couple of kids, maybe one in college etc? Maybe you think, because Mr government worker is expected to live on $50,000 the government should pay for his/her kids education?

Nita

Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,240,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you honestly believe no one working for the government should make more than $50,000 a year?
Without a doubt! The SecDef, who as the CEO of the Department of Defense and has over half a million employees, overseas a 700 billion dollar budget, is responsible for the defense of out nation, and has work experience dating back almost fifty years in everything from serving in the military, lawyer, professor, congressman, etc. should be making less than the office manager of your local tow truck company.

Seems about right.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,959,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I would love to see my girlfriend's reaction to your description of her job teaching at an urban school district as "cushy." I work long hours myself, but I would never trade my late night deadlines for the crap she has to put up with on a daily basis. Public workers seem to bear the brunt of ignorant, uninformed constituents who take the work they do for granted. I work in the private sector but deal with planners, council members, and city managers often so I have experience with the amount of work involved behind the scenes.
I don't think she was implying all govt jobs are "cushy". I didn't read it that way. Many people do choose a "govt" career because they think it will be a stable long term job that will pay them "well" by most private industry standards, including benefits. They feel it is secure.

The real issue is the govt has been outsourcing the private jobs, while growing govt. Private sector job salaries on the whole have been disappearing, including benefits and paying much less. That money originates from the private side. This creates an unsustainable situation.

That same govt is now going after all the various pension funds. Be nice if people could collect 2 retirements. Plenty of govt people do get to retire on "more" than 50,000 a yr then go get another job. In the private sector this kind of retirement has all but disappeared.

Overall, I would like to see much smaller govt everywhere myself. As far as I know many of those govt employees are not "elected". The everyday citizen paying for their jobs has little to no say-so over them, what they pay or their quality of svc. Just gets to pay the bill. I am not a fan of these many "administrative" positions. In the private sector I can pick and choose.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:50 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,823,036 times
Air traffic controllers would all quit and then all US airports would be shut down. The military doesn't have the numbers it used to in order to backup another strike like Reagan dealt with. Air traffic controllers are vastly overpaid however, you can't fix it by giving them all a 50,000 a year salary. Speaking of overpaid air traffic controllers, the average salary of one in Spain is 500,000 a year. Anyone still wondering why they're bankrupt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections