Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,521,355 times

Advertisements

So, not only did the unions' efforts to recall Governor Walker go down in flames on Tuesday, but there was terrible news for public sector unions out of California as well. In addition to the primary elections on Tuesday, there were other votes - on both statewide and local issues - in the state.

Cuts to pension benefits for public sector employees were passed by overwhelming margins by voters in San Diego, which is not a huge surprise given that it's relatively conservative. But a similar measure passed in San Jose....by a 40-point margin! I think it shows how crazy the left is in their belief that majority of Americans agree with them on these issues.

Not surprisingly, given the pathetic sense of entitlement that is the norm from the public sector unions, the unions are vowing to try to have the measures blocked in court.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/us...pagewanted=all

In other news out of California, it appears - at least for now - that voters rejected an increase in the state's cigarette tax. This race remains too close to call, but if the pro-tax and anti-smoking agendas were both rejected in the same vote in liberal California of all places it will be hilarious.

Tobacco tax vote could echo outside California - BusinessWeek

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-07-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:39 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,857,358 times
Finallly... something good out of my home state.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Finallly... something good out of my home state.
Perhaps these votes are a sign of good things to come.

Hopefully Tuesday was just the beginning.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,504,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Perhaps these votes are a sign of good things to come.
We can only Hope!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,038,768 times
I saw that awesome news out of Ca. The taxpayers have stooped taking any guff from what had become their public masters.

Yes!!!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,878,304 times
Also, the city of North Las Vegas declared a state of emergency so they can nullify their union contracts.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,432,216 times
I can't figure why California hasn't already turned from liberalism. They still have 10.9 pct (3rd highest state) unemployment, gargantuan deficit, high sales tax and income tax. Businesses are leaving, and even many illegal aliens have decided that there is now more employment opportunity in Mexico.

What does it take before the electorate figures out that they're doing something wrong?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,618,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I can't figure why California hasn't already turned from liberalism. They still have 10.9 pct (3rd highest state) unemployment, gargantuan deficit, high sales tax and income tax. Businesses are leaving, and even many illegal aliens have decided that there is now more employment opportunity in Mexico.

What does it take before the electorate figures out that they're doing something wrong?
It's not liberalism that is killing CA. It is government ineptitude.

Using your argument, I could easily state "Why do conservatives **** and moan about Obama's record while simultaneously claiming he hasn't done anything in 4 years even though doing nothing is exactly what conservatives believe will fix the country?"

The only difference would be my argument would be cogent, yours not.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,857,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Complete and utter collapse. And I look forward to it.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,181,052 times
California and Wisconsin will both easily go for Obama. This reading of the tea leaves and piddling all over yourselves about the Wisconsin vote is still not going to get Romney into office. Public unions have been gradually dying out for many decades and was at the lowest level of membership before Wisconsin, and it will be after. It doesn't mean much, if anything, nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections