Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 AM

37,821 posts, read 41,136,907 times

Advertisements

Maybe John Kasich should be Romney's running mate:

"In 1995, when Republicans gained the majority in the United States Congress, Kasich was selected to become Chairman of the House Budget Committee. As Chairman, Kasich worked towards balancing the Federal Budget, and was the chief architect of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997. As Chairman of the Budget Committee, Kasich claimed credit for the only U.S. Budget Surplus since 1969. In 1995, when Kasich assumed the position of Budget Chairman, the U.S. Federal Budget had a deficit of roughly -$163 billion, and upon the conclusion of his tenure as Budget Chairman, the U.S. Federal Budget had a surplus of over $236 billion.[ Kasich claimed credit for the surplus in a budget that the GOP-controlled Congress passed into law. Kasich also served as Chairman of the Congressional Committee on welfare reform."

John Kasich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And he's the governor of a swing state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,948,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Actually you mean annual deficits, not debt. That's cumulative and not annual.

What promises are you saying he hasn't fulfilled and please, swami, let us know what he, McCain or Jesus himself could have done to balance the books given the horrible economic conditions he inherited.

You can go ahead and vote for Romney, but he's just Obama with, as one poster here put it, 1850's social views.
Bring the troops home and cut the world police spending. The military should be used for defending our borders. Part of the saved money can be used to take care of entitlements here at home. It needs to be noted the entitlement system has to change in the future or there will be nothing left for future generations.
And as a side note all those lives in the Middle East will be spared. I list it as a side note since some think the price of oil is more important than a human life.
What's your next question?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,948,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Great post and you are spot on...thank you! Mitt Romney has spelled out quite cleary how he will balance the budget without raising taxes. Will it be popular with everyone in every way...no? Was it popular when Reagan cut spending to the bone, no? It will hurt some folks and that's unfortunate, but it has to be done.
His plan doesn't lower the deficit and doesn't cut spending. What good is it.
When did Reagan cut spending?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,896,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
No Romney bashing or anything, but I have been seeing claims that Romney will balance the budget. HOW? Will he increase taxes or reduce spending? One of the two definitely have to be done to make ends meet.
  • I am personally interested in seeing spending cuts, but Romney has already gone on record chiding Ron Paul's plan of cutting $1 Trillion saying that it's a drastic measure and that he wouldn't do the same. So it appears spending cuts are off the table.
  • Romney is planning a massive military build-up, so that's increased spending from what we have now.
  • Romney has embraced the Ryan plan, which actually increases the deficit by $4 Trillion, instead of decreasing it, because of increased military spending, so that doesn't work too.
  • "Increasing the tax base" is a promise politicians often make, and so does Romney, but I have seen no real detail on how he plans to achieve this.
  • Most articles analyzing Romney's budget plan seem to agree that he won't be able to balance the budget (Google it).

Please educate me how and please, nothing vague.

I am not interested in using this thread for discussing any other position of Romney, but simply the budget.
It is foolish to blame any such claim. Remember, this is the guy who has claimed... "getting unemployment rate down to even 6% over next four years would be a failure" and said that the unemployment rate will be about 6% under his first term (which is the projection under current conditions anyway).

All he is, is yet another agent to let Wall Street go a muck, for yet another time, with a quick bubble I predict will happen within three years if he were elected. Republicans will claim "job growth" and for any cost issues, blame Obama for it. That is the plan. Book mark my words.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,517,248 times
Quote:
Romney supporters: Do you believe Romney will balance the budget? Please explain how

Congress approves the budget. A President plays a significant role in the process, but it takes two to tango. And given the hole "W" Bush dug for us and tossed us into ... we won't see a balanced budget for years ... no matter the best intentions of whomever the next President is.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,187,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
No, obama is the last person an intelligent person wants "running" the show. Lying about Romney's record won't change that.
Use your Internet thingy there Ed and "Google Up" some Romney facts in good ole New England. They don't want him back! He will lose his own state this November. That speaks volumes. If you can't even win your own state, why would I even attempt to consider you. Plus, I am not convinced he can deal effectively with Iran, China and the Soviets. I mean Russians. Sorry for the Romney gaffe. LOL

Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,200,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Bring the troops home and cut the world police spending. The military should be used for defending our borders. Part of the saved money can be used to take care of entitlements here at home. It needs to be noted the entitlement system has to change in the future or there will be nothing left for future generations.
And as a side note all those lives in the Middle East will be spared. I list it as a side note since some think the price of oil is more important than a human life.
What's your next question?
Ahh, I asked what promises has he not kept. I'm not talking about what ideas that you have. You don't get a next question until you answer the one I asked.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,763,934 times
George W was one of the biggest spenders ever, but Barack Obama completely blew him out of the water. Obama outspent George's 8 year total in less than 4 years. Here's what is obvious to anyone with any intelligence at all:
1.) Barack Obama is a huge believer in the Keynesian economic "Borrow, borrow, borrow!!! Spend, spend, spend!!!" economic theory. He is deeply committed to the idea and will pursue that failed vein of economic recovery till doomsday if Congress lets him -- and since Congress can't seem to pass a budget, Obama is afforded tremendous power to do as he pleases here. This is the single biggest reason we Obama has shamelessly run up the debt. Mitt Romney does not believe in the same theory, so comparing them head to head, Mitt Romney stands to do less damage.
2.) Mitt Romney is at least saying the right things: "Am I willing to borrow money from China to pay for it?" Barack Obama is completely unapologetic for his nearly criminal deficit spending.
3.) President Obama, the Democrats and pretty much all liberals are saying the same things: Obama ran up so much debt, "Because there was no choice, he had to do it." Re-electing Obama would affirm (in Barack's mind anyways) that he was right. We already know Barack and the Dems believe that the GOP is thwarting their efforts to save the economy via "Borrow like mad and spend like mad." Re-electing Obama is a clear statement that America is okay with the idea -- and probably results in an even faster rate of borrowing.
4.) Mitt Romney is in favor of a Balanced Budget Amendment. Barack Obama will fight against any proposed BBA tooth and nail. So while the budget may not be balanced while Romney is in office, there is a very good chance that he will set things in motion forcing the federal government to do it either during or soon after his time as POTUS.

Mitt Romney sure as hell ain't Ron Paul. We all get that. I already voted for Ron Paul in the primaries. I already was very outspoken in his favor to everyone that I know. Well ... Ron Paul lost. This is no longer a choice between Ron Paul and somebody else. This is a choice between one of the most fiscally irresponsible president in recent history vs somebody who absolutely wants to move us towards a balanced budget but doesn't have a realistic plan to get us there. Obama has no intention of balancing the budget, so on this issue, Mitt Romney is clearly the better of the two.

Should the economy recover and then boom thereafter, I could definitely see Romney balancing the budget purely by accident (like we saw with Bill Clinton.) Once again, out of the two, Mitt Romney is just a helluva lot more likely to get this economy back in shape.

The rejection of Ron Paul amounts to the American people collectively sticking their heads in the sand, ignoring the monster that is our debt. Now we're left to pick who will do the least damage -- Barack or Mitt. Mitt is ideologically incapable of doing worst than Barack, so to me the choice is obvious.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,711,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
\
What promises are you saying he hasn't fulfilled and please, swami, let us know what he, McCain or Jesus himself could have done to balance the books given the horrible economic conditions he inherited.
I'm not sure how someone can go from 0 credibility to even less, but you managed to do just that.

You're asking what promises Obam hasn't fulfilled. You've got to be joking!!!

And neither McCain nor Jesus have anything to do with Obam and his nonsense promises that his base of fools still believes in.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM

7,548 posts, read 11,612,051 times
Romney has no plan what so every to fix the economy if he did we would have already heard about it. Romney fully supports the Ryan plan this plan does not fix the budget it only cuts taxes for the rich & taxes for everyone else go up while cut a sh** load of regulations. Romney is gonna add 3 to 5 trillion a yr to the debt by cutting everything & starting a war or 2. Romney is a joke and he need to be shut down before it gets his hands on this country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcF-HaaPLk&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaJnnd48j8k&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70tav9QveOM&feature=plcp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections