Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,365,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Romney will do whatever his money suppliers tell him. Obama also. The difference will be in the Congress. We know all Repubs will follow the money and probably most Dems. But at least some Dems will not and if we can get more elected, who knows, maybe something positive could get done. One thing I just heard that kind of rings true. About 30 individuals will put more money into campaigns, than the rest of America.
I agree that all politicians tend to follow their supporters, especially financial supporters. The dems that you say may not, will follow their own special interest groups that help to get them elected, like labor or environmentalists. I am not a supporter of treehuggers or government unions, so Romney is still my guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,201,362 times
In Massachusetts he proved that he would accually go out and try to close tax loopholes on Cooperations, and he did it in Massachusetts, he cut spending, and Balanced the buget, all this with universal heathcare

Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,146,990 times
Of course not lObam had made sure it will take deacdes.Perhaps a search on Smpson/Bowles would clue him in what what is coming mroe and more likely i a deficit deal.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,648,200 times
Lightbulb lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
No Romney bashing or anything, but I have been seeing claims that Romney will balance the budget. HOW?
He won't.

Romney has absolutely no intention whatsoever to balance or fight to balance the budget. The groups fighting against it would never go for it and Romney would cave almost immediately.

Romney would generate revenue by immediately raising taxes, er fees, on businesses and Corporations.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 AM

12,685 posts, read 6,774,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Romney will do whatever his money suppliers tell him. Obama also. The difference will be in the Congress. We know all Repubs will follow the money and probably most Dems. But at least some Dems will not and if we can get more elected, who knows, maybe something positive could get done. One thing I just heard that kind of rings true. About 30 individuals will put more money into campaigns, than the rest of America.
You fail to realize that if we can get the economy back to booming, all those rich cats you're hating on here stand to make a ton more money than what they're making now. Banks want to make home loans and to have more people to put more money into bank accounts. Oil companies want more people to go on random road trips -- thus spending more money buying gasoline from them. There are probably not any of your top contributors who don't stand to make more money if the economy gets to booming.

So while I agree that there's plenty of corruption and you can't trust Romney's nor Obama's contributors, at the end of the day we all want the same thing they do. We all want prosperity for as many Americans as possible because everyone stands to benefit from it.

You're purest modern day Democrat is an idealist whose ideals more often that not do not match up with reality. They tend to break the bank trying to save every living creature on the planet from any and all suffering. That is why they typically outspend Republicans. This is why Obama had so much contempt for any and all Balanced Budget Amendment requirements the House sent his way. The notion of not being able to pay for an endangered species of earthworms or some other "noble cause" is just unacceptable to him and to Dems. The Dems not corrupted by wealthy contributors are sure as hell not going to balance the budget.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:45 AM

37,954 posts, read 17,974,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Ahh, I asked what promises has he not kept. I'm not talking about what ideas that you have. You don't get a next question until you answer the one I asked.
swami, let us know what he, McCain or Jesus himself could have done to balance the books given the horrible economic conditions he inherited

That's what I was answering. Just to be clear, I'm not swami

Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,526,249 times
Entitlement programs would have to be cut and taxes raised ... to balance the budget. No matter who the President is come January 2013. If there is a President Romney he will face the challenge of right-wingers in the GOP Congress. He will find that hs ally will be Democrats, provided the Democrats still control the Senate. He's less of a nut-case than some people will make him out to be. More moderate than conservative. But without a realistic view of what's possible in a short period of time and a Congress willing to cooperate ... it's likely we'll see 4 more years of a "do nothing" Congress, no matter the name of the President. The focus of the election should be on changing Congress. That's where the power lies, not with the Presidency.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:42 AM

26,724 posts, read 15,282,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Entitlement programs would have to be cut and taxes raised ... to balance the budget. No matter who the President is come January 2013. If there is a President Romney he will face the challenge of right-wingers in the GOP Congress. He will find that hs ally will be Democrats, provided the Democrats still control the Senate. He's less of a nut-case than some people will make him out to be. More moderate than conservative. But without a realistic view of what's possible in a short period of time and a Congress willing to cooperate ... it's likely we'll see 4 more years of a "do nothing" Congress, no matter the name of the President. The focus of the election should be on changing Congress. That's where the power lies, not with the Presidency.
And removing the president. He had his congress for 2 years. He is the kind of president who promises to cut out $100 Million dollars of the budget -- because it sounds BIG to the public, but is actually 0.027% of the total budget. It should be easy to cut 0.027% of the budget. For the typical US household this would equal less than $14 -- $14 on the year. Yet, he couldn't even fulfill his promise of cutting 0.027%...he couldn't find it! He is NOT a leader.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,833,371 times
The only person running for president, that has any clue about economics, is Ron Paul.

The other two, are salesmen for fascist corporate America.

As our subsidized military industrial complex, sucks us into economic turmoil.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,146,990 times
You do realise that Paul actually proposed to elminate much of the departments that regulate corporations? Sometimes one has to wander about many Paul supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections