Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:32 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,093,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
The RP supporters you know represent the minority, or what we call "soft support". We never include them in our strategies and calculations anyway. Now don't go telling me that you know more RP supporters than I do. :-p None of them are voting for Romney, trust me. You can always find an exception, but it is what it is - an exception, not the norm.

Rand is not Ron, I'll give you that. But I'll take him over warmonger Romney any day. Did the Romney campaign tell you go forth, stir the waters and see if you get to catch any fish, in this situation?

Nice try.
I've noticed the same thing as Dixie. But keep in mind when I say "Ron Paul supporter" I mean any individual that voted for him/planned to vote for him/wanted him to win the GOP primary. Maybe at includes these so called "soft supporters," but keep in mind that without soft supporters, all teh hard work of the hard core guys would translate into very few votes. Most of the supporters I know have moved on to Romney or Obama. One of my best friends was active in the Paul campaign, went up to NH for a week in January to campaign full time as an intern. He's no Romney fan but he's voting for him. Another friend of mine supported Paul and doesn't like either Romney or Obama and will be voting for Obama. The fact is, most Paul supporters have moved on. I don't know that we necessarily disagree, I just think you might call the ones that are voting for someone else (which is a majority) soft supporters. But soft supporters make up the majority of any campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,120,271 times
Ron Paul is unelectable, even though I agree with him on principle.

There will be others.

Rand Paul did the right thing by endorsing Romney.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ron even admitted he won't have enough delegates to win Tampa

When will Romney admit the same thing? There is no way he gets 1144, either.

So what happens then?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 AM

26,738 posts, read 15,295,867 times
I think it has finely sunk in that there are in fact rules in the GOP convention that:

#1 Specifically allow for delegates bound to the state popular votes

#2 Specifically mention that the GOP party leaders will resolve in disputes between interpretation of rules

#3 Specifically mention that the GOP party leaders can scrap the entire convention even mid-voting to hand pick the best candidate themselves

Considering all of the above, there is no way that Ron Paul who has won ZERO state popular votes would be allowed to beat Romney who has won over 40 contests' popular votes.

Romney is the nominee period.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,093,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When will Romney admit the same thing? There is no way he gets 1144, either.

So what happens then?
Keep in mind, Ron Paul didn't say "I don't have enough delegates" he said "I will not be the nominee." critical difference.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,727,827 times
Quote:
I'll rephrase your sentence and say that WE had no choice but to let him endorse Romney if we ever want Rand to be president one day. No Ron Paul supporter I know is going to vote for Romney because of this endorsement - like literally ZERO, so it's not like we are giving away our votes to Romney because of this. At the same time, we have kind of covered our asses for 2016 so that the other candidates don't repeatedly slam Rand in the debates saying that he never endorsed Romney back then, and that helped elect Obama. Even if Obama wins now, Rand is safe. Otherwise, we will never hear the end of it from the neocons "argghh how dare you helped elect Obbbaammmaaaa...".
I don't know of a single person who doesn't know the difference between Ron and Rand. Your argument makes no sense. It's voting for RON that cost America. Rand had nothing to do with it and won't have anything to do with it this time, either.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think it has finely sunk in that there are in fact rules in the GOP convention that:

#1 Specifically allow for delegates bound to the state popular votes

#2 Specifically mention that the GOP party leaders will resolve in disputes between interpretation of rules

#3 Specifically mention that the GOP party leaders can scrap the entire convention even mid-voting to hand pick the best candidate themselves

Considering all of the above, there is no way that Ron Paul who has won ZERO state popular votes would be allowed to beat Romney who has won over 40 contests' popular votes.

Romney is the nominee period.
I am still trying to figure out how the Paul supporters can argue this? Of course delegates have to vote the way the state voted in the states that held primaries. We are not talking caucus states, that is a little different...Even then, Romney has his share of delegates from those states as well.

Nita

Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am still trying to figure out how the Paul supporters can argue this? Of course delegates have to vote the way the state voted in the states that held primaries. We are not talking caucus states, that is a little different...Even then, Romney has his share of delegates from those states as well.

Nita

Nita, you forget....

We are all free people, bound by no one, but our creator.

The small attendance at Romney speeches, compared to the crowds when Ron Paul makes an appearance.

You really think all the Romney delegates, are hardcore Romneybots? I got news for you... They aren't. I am going as a Romney delegate!!!!! What does that tell you?
The grassroots has had the strategy we are pulling off, planned for 4 years, after we saw how the establishment runs the delegate selection process.

Revolutions don't follow rules set by those they are revolting against.
What State are you a delegate from? What? Why didn't you get involved?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 AM

79,910 posts, read 44,443,995 times
Quote:
I'll rephrase your sentence and say that WE had no choice but to let him endorse Romney if we ever want Rand to be president one day. No Ron Paul supporter I know is going to vote for Romney because of this endorsement - like literally ZERO, so it's not like we are giving away our votes to Romney because of this. At the same time, we have kind of covered our asses for 2016 so that the other candidates don't repeatedly slam Rand in the debates saying that he never endorsed Romney back then, and that helped elect Obama. Even if Obama wins now, Rand is safe. Otherwise, we will never hear the end of it from the neocons "argghh how dare you helped elect Obbbaammmaaaa...".
Sure. It didn't change my mind about Romney either.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,926,364 times
Quote:
This is a must-watch for the Ron Paul supporters who are harboring bitter feelings towards Rand for endorsing Romney:

Why Rand Was Right to Endorse Romney - YouTube

I agree with Jack.
I see you've moved on, from Ron Paul to Romney. Republican establishment wins again.

Ron Paul... the useful idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections