Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times

Advertisements

Good for Paul indeed. Willard and the right wing machine have been putting their dirty tricks and election fraud on full display with their attacks against Paul. I hope this brings national attention to how dirty the right wing machine is, and how they could care less about the constitution or electoral process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,920 times
More delegates join the lawsuit: More Delegates Want to Join Repub Revolt

Some excerpts from the news:

Quote:
The delegates claim the party violated federal law by forcing them to sign loyalty affidavits, under threat of perjury, to vote for Mitt Romney, though he is not yet the official nominee.
Quote:
They also claimed that state party chairmen are fixing elections at state conventions and changing ballots so that all votes cast count for Romney.
Quote:
Gilbert said that the public is unaware that the party is rigging elections and committing voting fraud. But he said he has more than 100 signed affidavits from delegates to support these allegations.

"Some campaigns act like organized crime syndicates - and I mean organized crime, no doubt about it," Gilbert said.

"In Arizona, the voting machines were rigged so that Ron Paul votes were counted as Mitt Romney votes. It was so intentional that a Romney delegate refused to certify the vote count, and for that he got thrown off the convention."

Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
More delegates join the lawsuit: More Delegates Want to Join Repub Revolt

Some excerpts from the news:
They need to follow through on this. You can bet they will try to not publicize this and squelch it at every turn. Been a history of this. It can go all the way to the supreme court. They can kill it there just like they did the recounts, but it should go on the public record.

quote:
"It's really serious," he said. "People don't realize that delegates aren't chosen on the Tuesday primaries like they think.
"For example, Ron Paul got 16 of the 19 delegates in Massachusetts, which is a pretty serious vote of no-confidence in Romney from his own state, but I know that my friends and family aren't aware of this."
Gilbert said he wants to get the case heard as soon as possible so that all rightfully elected delegates are seated at the National Convention in August, and are free to vote for the candidate of their choice.
"The hour is late and short, but we won't just stand by and let the Republican National Convention get away with disenfranchising voters," Gilbert said.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Needed to happen. Years ago, people barely paid any attention to the primaries. These days, the primary season gets a lot more attention. I'm sure it was during the many decades of relative indifference that both parties got into some bad habits. Tweaking things to ensure that the right candidate wins, etc. Time for the GOP to get their house in order, clean out all the cobwebs and get rid of any and all "good old boys" political games in the primaries.

End result would probably be the same, but we'll never really know for certain. It's very possible that Ron Paul actually won Iowa and that win was stolen from him via "we lost a bunch of ballot boxes." If he had started off with a win in Iowa, I think a lot of voters would have given him a second look and take him much more seriously. I think it would have given him a much stronger chance.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Needed to happen. Years ago, people barely paid any attention to the primaries. These days, the primary season gets a lot more attention. I'm sure it was during the many decades of relative indifference that both parties got into some bad habits. Tweaking things to ensure that the right candidate wins, etc. Time for the GOP to get their house in order, clean out all the cobwebs and get rid of any and all "good old boys" political games in the primaries.

End result would probably be the same, but we'll never really know for certain. It's very possible that Ron Paul actually won Iowa and that win was stolen from him via "we lost a bunch of ballot boxes." If he had started off with a win in Iowa, I think a lot of voters would have given him a second look and take him much more seriously. I think it would have given him a much stronger chance.
years ago we paid no attention to primaries; I think you need to tell us why you think this and what you mean by years ago? I have been voting for 50 plus years and always primaries have been important and meaningful.

Nita

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Default Ron Paul addresses his supporters (6/15/2012)

Ron Paul Message to Supporters - YouTube

Old 06-16-2012, 07:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
and this means what? All I got out of Dr Paul's speech or whatever you want to call it was: we are not going to win the nomination but maybe, if we are lucky, our ideas will be taken somewhat seriously in Tampa? Did you get something else out of it?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
years ago we paid no attention to primaries; I think you need to tell us why you think this and what you mean by years ago? I have been voting for 50 plus years and always primaries have been important and meaningful.

Nita
I don't think he meant you, personally, I think he meant us, this country of voters, as a whole. Why? I don't know, maybe people are so fricken fed up with what crap we've had in the White House for so long. The fact is, the primaries have become more important to many when it wasn't as highly talked about before. (I don't mean the MSM, I mean people, in general.) Maybe it's the internet itself, who knows, all that matters is that more and more people are getting more serious about the whole voting process. That is a good thing. No need to be negative about it.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:14 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:

Nita
As has already been stated, I'm not talking about you or any one specific person. But in general, this nation and its people have seemed to take the approach that primaries are just some freak side show, then they'd whine and complain about the horrible choices they're handed at the end of it. Sure we're seeing the same thing this year, but the 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012 election cycles have seen ever increasing actual media coverage of the primaries than any other I can remember. People who have been too lazy to be bothered with the election before the election are now taking a greater interest. I know I have and I've noticed a big difference in how much people care about the primaries.

When there is very little media coverage and nobody bothers to question anything, primaries can become corrupt. The most powerful members of each party like to pick their pony long before the primary season even begins. Sometimes it's one or two guys that they really want. In 2000 Bush was the GOP chosen one and unsurprisingly he won the nomination. But in 2008, Romney was the chosen one and lost. In 2012 much of the newer party leadership was pulling Santorum but ironically Romney won. In 2008, Hillary going through the nomination process was supposed to be just a formality. She lost.

Ron Paul is a blessing in disguise to his detractors in the GOP. Different local party leaders have been getting away with all sorts of nonsense without even knowing their own rule book. Many, many things that were put in to allow a handful of local leaders to tweak things and ensure that the right guy won were hijacked and used against the GOP by Ron Paul's folks. Time and again we saw the GOP's local leaders fighting against their own playbook, trying to disregard rules and regulations their own party put there to begin with. Ron Paul and those of us that supported him have exposed many of the problems and now the GOP can either fix them or risk the same thing happening every four years. One huge case in point: That little detail about delegates not being required to vote for the person who won their state or county. Hmmm ... Sounds like something that needs to be fixed so the voice of the people is the only thing that truly matters. Moving ballot boxes around to undisclosed locations? Now that's just corruption waiting to happen. Reporting towns as having zero votes for all candidates because you don't like how the vote turned out? Wow! How on earth does that happen in the USA??

Now the GOP can either fix the process or look like idiots every four years. So they really have no choice in the matter. It is not a knock on Romney, Gingrich, Santorum or Paul. It's just airing out the dirty laundry that's been piling up at the local level.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
Quote:
and this means what? All I got out of Dr Paul's speech or whatever you want to call it was: we are not going to win the nomination but maybe, if we are lucky, our ideas will be taken somewhat seriously in Tampa? Did you get something else out of it?
Thats about what I got out of the video too.Too me he seems to be basically saying "I know i'm not going to win the nomination but at least some of my ideas are getting heard and in the long term some will be adopted and thats a good thing"...i'm not sure if his more 'enthusiastic supporters' are hearing something more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections