Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,960,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right about things like flood insurance, but how many people do you think purchase insurance of a particular kind when the chances are one in a 100 or 1000 or less they will ever use it? I know I don't, maybe you do. if you do, good for you...If I lived in CA I would have one type of insurance, in NWA another and so on. Riders are good in some cases, not in others.

I have said before and I will again, I agree with some of what Paul says and some of his views, I admire most of his supporters for their loyalty and total belief in what he believes in. That doesn't mean I understand it or agree with you.

BTW, I have googled Paul medical information and family history, it is very sketchy to say the least. Anything that might be on his blogs may or may not be accurate...and yes, he appears to be in exceptionally good condition. This doesn't change the fact, at his age health issues can pop up at anytime, both physical and mentle. Of course this can happen at any age, but at almost 80 it is more likely to happen, especially when one would have the pressures of running the most powerful country in the nation.

Nita
Not to get too far off topic.
The reason I posted that info, is to show that if you have mtg, which is most HOs. You don't have a choice. The mtg company dictates to you from govt regs what you will or will not be required to have.

Painting insurance as voluntary is inaccurate imo. It is becoming more mandatory in many flavors every day. Because the govt makes a ton off of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 03:25 PM

Some may find this of interest. Regarding RP updates. Not sure if this was posted previously.
The BRAD BLOG : KPFK's 'BradCast': Ron Paul Senior Advisor Doug Wead on the Still-Presidential Candidate's Curious (and Often Successful) Delegate Strategy

Download link to the interview.
http://bradblog.com/audio/KPFK_BradF...2_DougWead.mp3

This is on the suit update. Again not sure if it was posted.
LH EPISODE19 - Lawyers for Ron Paul Update » WTPNetwork Social Networking Community

Last edited by CDusr; 06-24-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Some may find this of interest. Regarding RP updates. Not sure if this was posted previously.

This is on the suit update. Again not sure if it was posted.
LH EPISODE19 - Lawyers for Ron Paul Update » WTPNetwork Social Networking Community

That was a long interview. Who knows it that is going to work?
They lost faith in Doug Weed.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That was a long interview. Who knows it that is going to work?
They lost faith in Doug Weed.
Best I can tell they are doing the right thing. Taking over the campaign and suing. Interesting the guy also said he thinks Doug was coerced or something, like a deal. Citing the precise language Doug used. Rand has been reported to be acting unusual also and Doug did allude to him "rising".

Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,519,943 times
Now there is a nationwide search for delegates to join this class action suit. GO FOR IT DELEGATES!
ALERT RNC : Nationwide Search for ALL National Delegates - RON PAUL MITT ROMNEY - YouTube

Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 PM

30,567 posts, read 23,987,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are a couple issues I have problems with: yes, his stand on foreign and military policies are at the top of the list.. He also made the comment about people living in disaster areas should not expect the government to bail them out. This was after the horrible floods last year, in TN, and Mississippi. Well those people who got flooded lived miles from the river in many cases. There have been other issues I have had with his views and yes, I have to say, his age does bother me. His apparent inability to listen to another view would make me think twice about voting for him. I have enough experience with politics to know, nothing is ever black or white. So, to answer you, there are a few issues I can't go along with. I am fine with his social issues...

Nita
Let me share a story with you to answer that concern I bolded:

In 2005, I moved to Miami, FL. I didn't know too much about hurricanes and all that so I paid attention when the media, (radio and t.v.), would offer suggestions and tips on how to prepare. I followed them all. I filled up zip loc baggies 3/4 of the way with water and put them in the freezer, (same with some water bottles), I got candles, sterno, filled up my car with gas before a hurricane, got cash to have in hand, got my wind up radio, stocked up on canned goods, filled up my bath tub, (didn't have washer to fill up), stayed indoors during and laid low while Wilma tore through.

When it was over, I turned on my "Gilligan radio" as I like to call it, took some of my food out of the fridge, (that I had already set in to "meal" portions so I wouldn't have to hold open the fridge door for long), put the sterno on the stove top, put a cookie cooling rack over that, put my pan on the cookie cooling rack, lit the sterno, cooked my meal and ate a hot meal, drinking wonderful cool water while I listened to people call in to the radio station COMPLAINING that the government wasn't there to assist them.

The hurricane hadn't even been over but maybe four hours before people were whining, complaining and moaning that the government wasn't there yet with their free ice and water. "What about my baby!", one woman wailed on the radio. "I can't feed my baby formula with no WATER!" On and on and on she went. Literally, it had NOT EVEN been 1/4 of a day AFTER the hurricane was over.

The ice and water trucks showed up the next morning. See, when there is a hurricane in FL, it typically covers much of the state because hurricanes are HUGE. So, that means, sometimes gas stations don't have any more gas because everyone panics at the last second OR the second the hurricane is over. They sit in lines, for hours, at the gas station, getting in to fist fights, screaming and yelling at everyone with their car running the entire time and some of them run out of gas while waiting to get gas. So, the ice and water trucks had to wait as they came from northern FL, until things were safe enough for them to travel, they had to get gas along the way and, oops! No electricity means no gas! And oops, some gas stations were depleted of all of their gas. The ones that had any left, IF THEY CHOSE, could use a generator. It's not a requirement, the station owner decides if he/she wants to do this.

So there may be a stall in getting ice and water. This is not a mystery. This is not a secret. I learned about this the very first few months I was in FL...well before Wilma came along.

The ice and water trucks showed up the next day, early in the morning and everyone and their dogs' fleas were in those lines, getting ice and water.

They could not make it ONE damn day without screaming for the government to come in and save them.

I made it five days before anything started to run out. That water in the zip loc baggies? In the water bottles that I froze in the freezer? That was ice to keep me cool when the electricity went off and we had no a/c. When it melted, it was water to drink. I had plenty of food, sterno and water. My car was full of gas. I had cash if I found I needed to go to the store for something, just in case, and the stores would be running on generators, therefore, limited selection. AND, you get to stand in line, OUTSIDE the store as they only let so many in at a time to prevent looting and fights.

And these people could not make it one day without the government? Hell, they couldn't even make it half a day.

THAT is what Ron Paul meant by not expecting the government to come bail you out. DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF to help yourself until the government can get to you and, in some cases, like in ice, water or food, you should be able to make AT LEAST a few days before requiring some sort of assistance.

Not all places hit by a hurricane or other natural disaster end up in shambles. Yes, there are some people who get hit the worst while others get hit but don't have it too bad. The people that should be helped first are the elderly or the disabled or those who have a dire emergency meaning badly injured or close to death, not some moron who can't even prepare for one fricken day after.

He's not saying that the government will never help anyone that went through a natural disaster, he's saying that some people need to be self sufficient while they tend to those who REALLY need them, FIRST. Stop expecting the government to do everything for you if you have the capability to ride it out so they can spend their time and resources on the people who really need it.

In my story? I would say about 90% of those who were biting at the bit for government assistance DIDN'T NEED IT! And what they did was take away from those who actually did need it!

Do you get it now?

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 06-30-2012 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

In 2005, I moved to Miami, FL. I didn't know too much about hurricanes and all that so I paid attention when the media, (radio and t.v.), would offer suggestions and tips on how to prepare. I followed them all. I filled up zip loc baggies 3/4 of the way with water and put them in the freezer, (same with some water bottles), I got candles, sterno, filled up my car with gas before a hurricane, got cash to have in hand, got my wind up radio, stocked up on canned goods, filled up my bath tub, (didn't have washer to fill up), stayed indoors during and laid low while Wilma tore through.

When it was over, I turned on my "Gilligan radio" as I like to call it, took some of my food out of the fridge, (that I had already set in to "meal" portions so I wouldn't have to hold open the fridge door for long), put the sterno on the stove top, put a cookie cooling rack over that, put my pan on the cookie cooling rack, lit the sterno, cooked my meal and ate a hot meal, drinking wonderful cool water while I listened to people call in to the radio station COMPLAINING that the government wasn't there to assist them.

The hurricane hadn't even been over but maybe four hours before people were whining, complaining and moaning that the government wasn't there yet with their free ice and water. "What about my baby!", one woman wailed on the radio. "I can't feed my baby formula with no WATER!" On and on and on she went. Literally, it had NOT EVEN been 1/4 of a day AFTER the hurricane was over.

The ice and water trucks showed up the next morning. See, when there is a hurricane in FL, it typically covers much of the state because hurricanes are HUGE. So, that means, sometimes gas stations don't have any more gas because everyone panics at the last second OR the second the hurricane is over. They sit in lines, for hours, at the gas station, getting in to fist fights, screaming and yelling at everyone with their car running the entire time and some of them run out of gas while waiting to get gas. So, the ice and water trucks had to wait as they came from northern FL, until things were safe enough for them to travel, they had to get gas along the way and, oops! No electricity means no gas! And oops, some gas stations were depleted of all of their gas. The ones that had any left, IF THEY CHOSE, could use a generator. It's not a requirement, the station owner decides if he/she wants to do this.

So there may be a stall in getting ice and water. This is not a mystery. This is not a secret. I learned about this the very first few months I was in FL...well before Wilma came along.

The ice and water trucks showed up the next day, early in the morning and everyone and their dogs' fleas were in those lines, getting ice and water.

They could not make it ONE damn day without screaming for the government to come in and save them.

I made it five days before anything started to run out. That water in the zip loc baggies? In the water bottles that I froze in the freezer? That was ice to keep me cool when the electricity went off and we had no a/c. When it melted, it was water to drink. I had plenty of food, sterno and water. My car was full of gas. I had cash if I found I needed to go to the store for something, just in case, and the stores would be running on generators, therefore, limited selection. AND, you get to stand in line, OUTSIDE the store as they only let so many in at a time to prevent looting and fights.

And these people could not make it one day without the government? Hell, they couldn't even make it half a day.

THAT is what Ron Paul meant by not expecting the government to come bail you out. DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF to help yourself until the government can get to you and, in some cases, like in ice, water or food, you should be able to make AT LEAST a few days before requiring some sort of assistance.

Not all places hit by a hurricane or other natural disaster end up in shambles. Yes, there are some people who get hit the worst while others get hit but don't have it too bad. The people that should be helped first are the elderly or the disabled or those who have a dire emergency meaning badly injured or close to death, not some moron who can't even prepare for one fricken day after.

He's not saying that the government will never help anyone that went through a natural disaster, he's saying that some people need to be self sufficient while they tend to those who REALLY need them, FIRST. Stop expecting the government to do everything for you if you have the capability to ride it out so they can spend their time and resources on the people who really need it.

In my story? I would say about 90% of those who were biting at the bit for government assistance DIDN'T NEED IT! And what they did was take away from those who actually did need it!

Do you get it now?
I completely understand what you are saying. I have 2 kids living in florida, one in Orlando and the other the panhandle, though he is moving to Ft Meyers. They too totally prepared for the hurricanes in 2005. yes, people have to be resposible. Lord knows I believe God helps those who help themselves. My referance was to the flooding that could not have been predicted and yes, he did say, the government should not help them re-build. He said if you live on the banks and get flooded out it is your problem. (I am, of course para phrasing) The people he was talking about lived 2 miles from the banks of the rivers. I sat there listening to him and was in shock. I came back and watched the interview on the net just to make sure he said what i thought he did. Maybe it was just the way he presented himself, maybe he doesn't choose his words well, I don't know, but I can assure you, this was one thing that turned me totally against him. Lord knows I am a concervative on fiscal issues and I do believe in as little government as possibe, but I also know there are times when government does have to come to the rescue.

So yes, I do get it and yes, I agree with you, I have lived through some pretty rough Ca earthquakes, including the one in 1971. I watched people take advantange of the govenment, even within my own family. I saw people get govenment loans that were forgiven and the money was used for other things. We had damage, we choose not to ask for financual help and I spent days donating as much time to helping clean up as I could, with 3 kids still at home.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 AM

37,955 posts, read 17,980,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Do you get it now?
Good story. And I bet most of the people who had their homes ruined, built a similar house that has a similar chance of collapsing on the next hurricane.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Good story. And I bet most of the people who had their homes ruined, built a similar house that has a similar chance of collapsing on the next hurricane.
Unfortunately, that has much to do with govt regulations being completely controlling and limited over what structures can be built. NM the "little hitler" HO orgs etc...

FL is GD awful about this stuff. You have mobile homes, that aren't even new costing more than they should be worth, then insurance is insane all over FL.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Talking about Paul's age is not discrimination. It is discussing a necessary consideration in selecting who our leader will be.

We all know of people his age who were very healthy and were suddenly struck down by cancer, a stroke, or a heart attack that came from age. My own family tree is full of ancestors who were still vital when they were in their 70's, and were gone in their early 80's. I'll bet yours is, too. And none of them had the challenges of leading the most powerful nation on the planet in their life.

Most of us are aware of the stress that comes along with the Presidency and how it affects our Presidents. There is a lower age limit and an upper limit. Most of our Presidents have been in their mid-50's to mid-60's when elected; old enough to have gained much life experience and mature perspectives, but still young enough to have the physical stamina and sturdiness to withstand the nature of the job.

If you check history, you will see that the Presidents who were 70 or older when elected most often died in office, or, like Reagan, were mentally deteriorating in their last years of their terms. In these tenuous and dangerous times, we can ill afford either to happen to our leader.

Paul would be 81 at the end of his term if elected. How many of us, healthy as we may be, will live into their 80's? You are in your 40's. I'm in my late 60's. I don't expect to live another 20 years with the same state of health I enjoy now, and by the time you are my age, you won't be so cavalier with your life expectations, either, especially when it comes to others.

I wish Dr. Paul a long and good life, but I believe he is too old for the pressure cooker that is the modern Presidency.

So you feel old people have no use... That is rather shallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections