Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,143,092 times

Advertisements

This daily show clip if very enlightening…

Quote:
Florida Governor Rick Scott recently passed a law requiring all new voters in the state to submit their completed voter registration forms within 48 hours of filling them out. If they wait even a minute longer than that allotted time, the forms become void. While the law may not sound absurd at first blush, things get more complicated when you consider how many people register through third parties -- like volunteers from the League of Women Voters. And how many newly-registered voters are Democrats and Independents.

After "The Daily Show" heard that the law has already caused a 20% decrease in new voter registration, they decided to head down to Florida and see what's really going on.
'Daily Show' Tears Apart Florida Governor Rick Scott's Voter Purge (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,851,841 times
Those who should will never watch it.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:09 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,540,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Thats alright. Eric Holder the bad azz put a stop to them

Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM

537 posts, read 819,800 times
How did Rick Scott get popular enough to be elected? Some of the stuff he does is blatantly Unconstitutional.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:24 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,737,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Voter rolls should be purged periodically to remove people who have died or people who have moved to another jurisdiction in the state or to another state. What's wrong with that?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 PM

336 posts, read 450,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
How did Rick Scott get popular enough to be elected? Some of the stuff he does is blatantly Unconstitutional.

Florida is a State that unfortunately is still full of many under educated rednecks, and bigots. The top half of the State is the deep deep South. More Mississippi and Alabama than the Florida that many picture. These 'true Americans' all got their panties in an uproar after Obama won.

Second, during the mid term election cycle, as is generally the case, more people from the party that is not in power came out to vote. That helped Republican turnout.

Third, Scott's opponent Alex Sink, although a nice person with better ideas, didn't run the same 'down in the mud' campaign that Scott was willing to run. So, she was naturally penalized for not being passionate enough.

So, this is what we end up with. Recent polls show that many Floridians would do it differently, if they had to do it over again.

Last edited by JaxBlueMan; 06-13-2012 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
Florida is a State that unfortunately is still full of under educated rednecks, and bigots.
Statements like this show where the uneducated reside.

I have never heard about the 48 hour rule until now. If that is the case, I have to wonder how it's enforced but really it doesn't matter. I do not support that. My wife brought a registration home to her son and it took a couple weeks before he actually got it filled out.

But roles should be purged on occasion. Politicians do stupid stuff like this all the time. If you want to do something understandable like purging voting lists, do so. If you want to try and change the rules, do it seperately.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Statements like this show where the uneducated reside.

I have never heard about the 48 hour rule until now. If that is the case, I have to wonder how it's enforced but really it doesn't matter. I do not support that. My wife brought a registration home to her son and it took a couple weeks before he actually got it filled out.

But roles should be purged on occasion. Politicians do stupid stuff like this all the time. If you want to do something understandable like purging voting lists, do so. If you want to try and change the rules, do it seperately.

I live in Jacksonville FLorida. That makes me fully qualified to state what is very obvious to many locals.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,525,766 times
So why do you claim to live in San Jose??

Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
So why do you claim to live in San Jose??

No, that's the San Jose section of Jacksonville FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections